3 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
US$1,095
Agoda.comUS$1,093
TripadvisorUS$1,093
ZenHotels.com
1,779 results
All reviews the secret garden old rectory inner sanctum sempill suite breakfast hamper heriot suite lamb wellington royal mile bottle of champagne four poster bed roll top bath birthday treat haggis cooked breakfast visiting edinburgh yogurt gothic
Selected filters
Reviewed 11 August 2021

We stayed in The Old Rectory and in The Guardroom. It wasn't obvious from the website, but while these are both on the 2nd floor, they are in different buildings! As photos show, the rooms have a similar colour scheme, but are wildly different in detail and are full of theatrical flourishes in style. This is the antidote to hotels like The Balmoral that can't be bothered to have any ideas or style.

There are tourists outside into the small hours and there is a certain amount of street noise even with windows closed.

I can only sleep with sheets and blankets and usually have to ask twice to avoid getting a quilt, but The Witchery reception charmingly relied to me that "regarding the allocation as per the quilt we do not use it ". That's another plus, though I would have preferred a wider bed.

A new bottle of champagne on ice was supplied to each suite each day, not just on the first day as with other hotels with this champagne fetish. But a bowl of fruit would have been a lot more welcome.

The toilet flush worked most of the time, but I had to take the cover off and fiddle with it a couple of times.

Covid-19 era breakfast hadn't been thought through properly. We were given a list of the cooked breakfast options, but nothing telling us what else was available. I asked about muesli and we were offered 4 mini Kelloggs cereal packets. Given how much they charge for a room, I think they should have gone out and bought some muesli. On the second morning I asked if they had any fresh fruit. They replied with a marvellous plate of many sorts of fruit neatly cut up. I wonder what else was on offer if only I knew to ask for it. Was there some nice bread available, or maybe a red berry compote? I'll never know. The bacon and sausage was of unusually high quality. They badly needed a second waiter at breakfast on one morning: not good enough in a place at this price.

Reviewed 21 July 2021

Firstly, most of the reviews here (particularly the negative ones) seem to refer to the restaurant. The hotel is a 'restaurant with rooms' so think there is some confusion.

We stayed in the 'Heriot' room for one night. It's like stepping back in time. There is a lounge area, and a bedroom, and in our suite, a secret bathroom hidden in the wall.

The location could not be better, a couple doors down from Edinburgh Castle.

There was a situation when we stayed with the plumbing, hidden behind the wall in the bathroom, overflowing at 3am and running into the rooms below and the restaurant, and the night porter rang to move us to another room.

All the staff could have not been more professional, were very apologetic and moved us very quickly. These situations are sometimes unavoidable, and the way the staff dealt with it was incredible, and a great sign of a really well run hotel.

Breakfast the next day was amazing, and we left in the knowledge we had stayed somewhere truly special. If you're in Edinburgh, and you're looking for a once in a lifetime opportunity to stay somewhere completely unique, stay here.

Room tip: Both Heriot and Gothic rooms were incredible
Reviewed 11 July 2021 via mobile

Our 5th stay at The Witchery. Each time we've had a different suite, and this time we stayed in the Old Rectory. The attention to detail is second to none. It felt as though we were in a museum. Large suite spotlessly clean, and extremely comfortable.
Well equipped with coffee machine, bottled water, small fridge, gorgeous toiletries, robes, slippers and of course the champagne! One extra special touch is the beautiful fresh flowers in the room.
We had dinner in The Secret Garden which was outstanding & breakfast in The Witchery Restaurant this morning was deliciously belly filling!
If you want to spoil yourself in luxury then don't hesitate to book this gorgeously gothic hideaway.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank mrslah
Reviewed 8 July 2021

Decided to take my partner after it came highly recommended. Setting was amazing and the food was fabulous. Yes it is on the pricey side but in my opinion it was worth it . We would definitely go back next time we are in Edinburgh

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank 831frankh
Reviewed 6 July 2021

I visited with a friend for dinner on 1st July and whilst the food was stunning, the wine was perfect and the table service excellent our evening was spoilt but the Maitre D. Our table was booked for 7.30pm, we arrived at 7.28pm no polite greeting and when our name was taken and we were told to take a seat in a pokey seating area and told they would need to check with the manager if our table was ready. Whilst sat there no one made any conversation with us, we were the only guests sat there. Two other tables arrived while we were left there, a table of 2 and table of 4 and were seated immediately. We were told our table has been moved, we were seated some 10 minutes later in a dark corner under the stairs, no view of the restaurant, no interaction with the Maitre D as he seated us and none at all through the evening although he seemed happy to speak to others. We felt really uncomfortable and definitely unwelcome. Some serious consideration will need to be made by me as to whether I would return.

Trip type: Travelled with friends