4 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
US$1,092
Agoda.comUS$1,098
TripadvisorUS$1,092
ZenHotels.com
1,779 results
All reviews the secret garden old rectory inner sanctum sempill suite breakfast hamper heriot suite lamb wellington royal mile bottle of champagne four poster bed roll top bath birthday treat haggis cooked breakfast visiting edinburgh yogurt gothic
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Lovely restaurant. Excellent food and service. The wine list is really decent too.
Quite pricey but worth a visit for a special occasion.
Next to the castle so there’s a lot going on around you.
I would recommend it to couples who like a nice intimate, romantic meal.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 September 2021 via mobile

My daughter booked to come here and a friend of mine also highly recommended a visit here. We came to celebrate my daughter’s 25th birthday. Inside it was very dark with a medieval feel. The tables were beautifully decorated with fresh flowers on each, the tablecloth’s absolutely pristine. The staffe were warm and welcoming and all very smart in their uniforms.
We sipped on Perrier Jouet Champagne which was expensive, decadent but worth while when visiting a place amazing as this.
We had scallops which were cooked to absolute perfection, with delicious flavours. Steak tartare, lobster bisque which was exquisite and smoked salmon, both my daughters shared a desser.
This really is fine dining at its absolute best.
My only small criticism is that the waiting staff changed hands too often. We were looked after by 3-4 different people which I thought unusual given that we were there only 2 1/2 hours. You then didn’t have the continuity of the member of staff you stated out with.
It was worth every penny coming here and will come agin next time I come to Edinburgh,
Highly recommend 5 *****

Date of stay: July 2021
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank angele1965
Reviewed 23 August 2021 via mobile

The look and vibe of the restaurant is very cool, however I wasn’t blown away by the food which was disappointing especially because it is quite pricy. I had the lamb which was quite tough and my boyfriend had venison which was average

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 August 2021

The room, The Inner Sanctum, was full of the old stuff you can see in the photographs and fine if that's what you like. It was different, but lacks something, and the huge bust of Queen Victoria in the room..... mmmm. Anyway, we had an idea of what to expect and it was OK overall. However, the meal in the Secret Garden restaurant was disappointing. Nothing stood out as exceptional or really worth remembering, except for the over boiled potatoes, tough kale and crab starter that just had no zing about it at all. Might have been the chefs night off? Glad we booked at what looked a discounted rate for the accommodation, because if I'd paid the normal going rate we'd be really disappointed. There was nothing really bad but we had expectations that just were not met. Don't think we'd stay again. Oh, and climbing in and out of the roll top bath to shower wasn't easy and some smaller residents might need help. Overall it just didn't work for us.

Reviewed 11 August 2021

We stayed in The Old Rectory and in The Guardroom. It wasn't obvious from the website, but while these are both on the 2nd floor, they are in different buildings! As photos show, the rooms have a similar colour scheme, but are wildly different in detail and are full of theatrical flourishes in style. This is the antidote to hotels like The Balmoral that can't be bothered to have any ideas or style.

There are tourists outside into the small hours and there is a certain amount of street noise even with windows closed.

I can only sleep with sheets and blankets and usually have to ask twice to avoid getting a quilt, but The Witchery reception charmingly relied to me that "regarding the allocation as per the quilt we do not use it ". That's another plus, though I would have preferred a wider bed.

A new bottle of champagne on ice was supplied to each suite each day, not just on the first day as with other hotels with this champagne fetish. But a bowl of fruit would have been a lot more welcome.

The toilet flush worked most of the time, but I had to take the cover off and fiddle with it a couple of times.

Covid-19 era breakfast hadn't been thought through properly. We were given a list of the cooked breakfast options, but nothing telling us what else was available. I asked about muesli and we were offered 4 mini Kelloggs cereal packets. Given how much they charge for a room, I think they should have gone out and bought some muesli. On the second morning I asked if they had any fresh fruit. They replied with a marvellous plate of many sorts of fruit neatly cut up. I wonder what else was on offer if only I knew to ask for it. Was there some nice bread available, or maybe a red berry compote? I'll never know. The bacon and sausage was of unusually high quality. They badly needed a second waiter at breakfast on one morning: not good enough in a place at this price.

Date of stay: July 2021