Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Priceline
FindHotel
Agoda.comUS$1,060
StayForLong
1,784 results
All reviews the secret garden old rectory inner sanctum turret suite breakfast hamper royal mile bottle of champagne four poster bed roll top bath visiting edinburgh gothic castle theatrical luxury scotland
Selected filters
Reviewed 18 September 2021

My wife and I had passed this place many times over the years and so decided to give it a try following a recommendation by a friend.
We were not disappointed, it was EXCELLANT .
The ambience was great and the food was fabulous ( we had the Chateabriand )
The service was brilliant .

Date of stay: September 2021
Reviewed 17 September 2021 via mobile

Lovely restaurant. Excellent food and service. The wine list is really decent too.
Quite pricey but worth a visit for a special occasion.
Next to the castle so there’s a lot going on around you.
I would recommend it to couples who like a nice intimate, romantic meal.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 September 2021 via mobile

My daughter booked to come here and a friend of mine also highly recommended a visit here. We came to celebrate my daughter’s 25th birthday. Inside it was very dark with a medieval feel. The tables were beautifully decorated with fresh flowers on each, the tablecloth’s absolutely pristine. The staffe were warm and welcoming and all very smart in their uniforms.
We sipped on Perrier Jouet Champagne which was expensive, decadent but worth while when visiting a place amazing as this.
We had scallops which were cooked to absolute perfection, with delicious flavours. Steak tartare, lobster bisque which was exquisite and smoked salmon, both my daughters shared a desser.
This really is fine dining at its absolute best.
My only small criticism is that the waiting staff changed hands too often. We were looked after by 3-4 different people which I thought unusual given that we were there only 2 1/2 hours. You then didn’t have the continuity of the member of staff you stated out with.
It was worth every penny coming here and will come agin next time I come to Edinburgh,
Highly recommend 5 *****

Date of stay: July 2021
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank angele1965
Reviewed 23 August 2021 via mobile

The look and vibe of the restaurant is very cool, however I wasn’t blown away by the food which was disappointing especially because it is quite pricy. I had the lamb which was quite tough and my boyfriend had venison which was average

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 August 2021

The room, The Inner Sanctum, was full of the old stuff you can see in the photographs and fine if that's what you like. It was different, but lacks something, and the huge bust of Queen Victoria in the room..... mmmm. Anyway, we had an idea of what to expect and it was OK overall. However, the meal in the Secret Garden restaurant was disappointing. Nothing stood out as exceptional or really worth remembering, except for the over boiled potatoes, tough kale and crab starter that just had no zing about it at all. Might have been the chefs night off? Glad we booked at what looked a discounted rate for the accommodation, because if I'd paid the normal going rate we'd be really disappointed. There was nothing really bad but we had expectations that just were not met. Don't think we'd stay again. Oh, and climbing in and out of the roll top bath to shower wasn't easy and some smaller residents might need help. Overall it just didn't work for us.

1  Thank NGPAT