“Wow a real eye opener.”

Real Mary King's Close
Book In Advance
More Info
US$20.95*
and up
1-Hour Real Mary King's Close Underground Tour in...
Ranked #8 of 444 things to do in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Hidden beneath the Royal Mile lies Edinburgh’s deepest secret: a warren of hidden ‘closes’ where real people lived, worked and died. For centuries they have lain forgotten and abandoned…until now. Visit Edinburgh's most famous Close, which makes Edinburgh's Hidden History unmissable.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

This visit was very interesting, the girl who took the us round was brilliant, upbeat and made the visit very very interesting with lots of historical references. Great Great Great.

Write a ReviewReviews (13,508)
All reviews
in 153 reviews
"century"
in 471 reviews

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

It was short, but an interesting look at how people lived in the 16th to 19th centuries. There were children on the tour and they were quite scared and I can’t blame them. If you are claustrophobic this is not the tour for you. You also cannot take photos for security reasons since it is under a government building. I would recommend this.

Reviewed 30 March 2018

We found this bit of hidden history, and it was an unexpected window into the past. A bit tourist enhanced, but the walk thru a pretty much antique, untouched part of the 1700's city was a real find, much enjoyed and worth the cost.

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

Great guide who was so enthusiastic telling really interesting stories about the close, well worth visiting but limited availability so book in advance.

See more reviews
Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

Everything in Edinburgh seems to shut down early, so I was looking for something to do on a Friday night. I came across Mary King’s Close and thought I’d give it a try. I wasn’t sure what to expect, but I’m SO glad I went. I thought it might be a bit spooky but it was actually hilarious! Our guide (Rob I think?) cracked jokes through the whole tour and had us in hysterics. It was very informative and showcased real people, instead of focusing on the royals like most other tours in the city. Not to be missed!

2  Thank Lyndsay3535