“Scotsman Edinburgh”

Ranked #89 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Scotsman Edinburgh”
Reviewed 1 March 2014

My partner and I booked an overnight stay in the Scotsman two weeks ago, attracted by the fact it was a five star luxury boutique hotel. We were immediately disappointed when we arrived at the hotel - it really isn't a five star experience. The room was basic, a full size ironing board leaning against one wall - this wasn't what we expected. Stains on the hallway carpets, scuff marks on the walls, miles to get to the less than magnificent spa, really just a pool and jacuzzi, with sauna. The tropicarium was out of order. Large yellow 'wet surface' signs by the pool. Not elegant or understated. We were shown to a different bedroom after we fed back our initial dissatisfaction. The second bedroom was larger but in my experience still did not fulfil the standards of a five star hotel.

Having returned home I fed all of these thoughts back to the hotel and was told someone would come back to me within a few days. It has now been 2 weeks and I have heard nothing. A high level of customer care may have lessened somewhat the frustration and disappointment at what turned out to be a very disappointing stay - sadly this hasn't been the case.

If you are looking for understated luxury and comfort and real spa facilities, there are far better options in Edinburgh than the Scotsman, I am very sorry to say.

5 Thank Lindsey053

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
  • Korean first
Scotland
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I have now stayed twice at the Scotsman with my wife for an overnight trip to Edinburgh. Both occasions were in a deluxe room which was excellent in its accommodation and facilities. We also left luggage at the hotel in the morning and when we went back to use the room later the case had been delivered to the room as part of the service. We also dined in the brasserie on both occasions and across the range of dishes we had we were very impressed by the standard of food and service. All the staff we met in the hotel were first class.

Room Tip: Both times I have booked a deluxe room and had an excellent view across the city.
scotland
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I have always wanted to stay in this historic and highly atmospheric hotel with stunning architecture and beautiful public areas although the reception lounge is tiny for such a grand hotel. We arrived early for our one night stay hoping to make the most of the wonderful city of Edinburgh. A real bugbear of mine is very expensive hotels charging a fortune for a late check in and an early check out rather than the other way around ,offering not even 24 hours for what you pay. However Anita checked us in and offered to phone us when our room was ready. She was helpful throughout and very welcoming. At least the check in is 2pm , an hour earlier than some rival hotels. I did manage to get in an hour early when I returned and was delighted to find we had been given an upgrade. Nick showed me to the room where the luggage had already been delivered and was friendly and helpful as was his colleague whose name I forget . Sorry. The room was a huge suite with a fabulous view of The Balmoral and part of Princes St. Very unexpected and most appreciated. The beds were super comfortable with soft pillows and duvets. There were two large sofas and a table to seat four outwith the bedroom area which had a glass partition. The bathroom was a good size with plentiful good quality toiletries. Why do so many hotels provide only shampoo and not conditioner ? I am sure most ladies would prefer that to shower gel or body lotion if they have to scrimp on one bottle. There was a standing shower but also a hand held shower mid bath should you wish to wash your hair without showering and a good hairdryer. T.V. was a bit problematic to operate and we had to call for help which brought immediate assistance. Free wifi was good but a little sporadic and I had to switch to my personal wifi once or twice. There was a very well stocked mini bar with the usual tea and coffee making facility. One thing I found odd was the inordinate amount of cupboard space throughout the suite ; cupboards everywhere you looked. and yet the only cupboard available to hang clothes was narrow and already half full with robes , slippers and an ironing board. We were pushed for space to hang clothes for one night. My guess is that at one time the sitting area and bedroom were two separate rooms. Although I like a t.v. in the bedroom it seemed a shame not to have it in the area with the sofas where one could relax and enjoy it. We were getting ready to go out when the maid rang for turndown service so we said no thanks only to have another girl ring five minutes later to offer the same service. We hadn't noticed the privacy button on the wall but then I had turned down the " room orientation " offered on arrival as I figured how difficult could it be to find your way around? Breakfast was lovely , served in the beautiful dining room. Very elegant. We felt a bit rushed because of the exceptionally early 11a.m. check out. If these check outs get any earlier they will be giving us wake up calls. I would definitely be looking for a good hotel next time offering a 1 p.m. check out without being asked for extra cash. however when we left Anita and the bellmen were friendly and asked about our stay. The Scotsman is definitely a grand old lady and I would love to go back. Shame I've gotten used to a suite. I don't want to go back to regular rooms now.

Room Tip: Pray for a suite with a view.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Hove
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I normally judge a hotel on the following three criteria, in reverse order, location, accommodation and most importantly the staff. On all three criteria the Scotsman Hotel is superb. My daughter and I took a leisure break to Edinburgh for a few nights and tried the Scotsman hotel for a change.
The hotel is ideally located on North bridge just a two minute walk from Waverly station. (Train, Eastcoast mainline, is much better than plane for getting to Edinburgh) and a few minutes from Princess St and the Royal Mile.
On checking in we were upgraded to a publisher’s suite, which was excellent, large bedroom area, large seating area with an excellent bathroom. Good fluffy towels and nice beds. The room had a good TV with a surround system, important as my daughter is passionate about film and TV. The décor was excellent with many good pieces of artwork. The stylish decanter of whisky and glasses was a nice touch. The lobby area with its real fire and that smell of burning coal was great.

Having just returned from a trip to the UAE where I stayed in two excellent hotels with top rate customer service, I was impressed by the quality of customer service from everyone I dealt with at the hotel. It was great to see that in Scotland/UK we can give and exceed the levels of customer service, seen in other parts of the World. The meeting and greeting by Ivor the doorman was top notch, a real asset to the hotel. The reception staff were so friendly and helpful that we really felt valued. The check in and check out were excellent. We had a problem with the Internet and they tried everything to help us. They were also able to offer good advice on Edinburgh and checked if several things were open for us.
We had a meal in the restaurant and I was dithering between two items on the menu, the waiter was superb and asked me all the right questions and advised me on choice. I had the venison, haggis and tea infused grapes, followed by their cheesecake ice cream, which was one of the best meals I have tasted for a long time. Excellent advice from a young man who has excellent communication skills and was able to know what would make the customer happy.
The feeling I have from talking to the staff is that they feel empowered to be part of a Scotsman Hotel shared value, which makes you feel valued as a customer and at home.
I didn’t get a chance to visit the spa, but it looked really popular.
This is an excellent hotel, to which I will return to, thanks to an excellent staff.

Room Tip: Try the food and also visit the Cameo cinema. Walk this city, nothing is out of walking distance fro...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Linkoping, Sweden
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Our visit to the Scotsman started very well when we were greeted at the door by a friendly concierge who took our bags and guided us to the the reception desk. Even though they were very busy with a large wedding party checking out we were quickly checked in. We'd arrived quite early, so our room wasn't yet ready but the receptionist offered to call us when it was and told us it would definitely be ready by 2pm.

The building is fantastic, with lots of wood-panelling and marble in the public areas. The corridors are a bit of a maze but the signage is good and a member of staff took us to our room. We had a classic double (the smallest room type) and it wasn't at all cramped, with plenty of floor space, three large windows, a desk and two armchairs. The bathroom was bigger than we'd expected and had a very good shower over the bath.

We'd bought the package including afternoon tea and breakfast and enjoyed both meals. Afternoon tea was delicious and included scones with clotted cream and a lovely variety of cakes. Breakfast in the beautiful North Bridge Brasserie featured all the usual Scottish breakfast items cooked to order as well as an extensive buffet.

The defining feature of the hotel were the staff. They were extremely helpful without being intrusive, genuinely friendly, efficient and competent.

Room Tip: Rooms facing away from North Bridge or Waverley are probably quieter but don't have such nice vi...