“what a find!”

Kildonan Lodge Hotel
Ranked #12 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 15 September 2011

A lovely hotel - great decor, very clean, with attention to detail. A frienly and warm welcome with lots of information given about the hotel and our stay. There was a complimentory decanter of sherry in the room, and the four poster bed and spa bath were fantastic. Everywhere was clean and well maintained. The breakfast was freshly prepared and service was quick, friendly and faultless. I would stay here again and would also recommend this.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank ZedAbdn
There are newer reviews for Kildonan Lodge Hotel

Reviewed 14 September 2011

Excellent,it seemed to be like coming home. This was our fourth time at the Kildonan lodge. The room was spotlessly clean and spacious and the staff were more than helpfull. We tried the full Scottish for breakfast and it was perfectly cooked and ample. The honesty bar was a real bonus after visiting the theatre and we had time to relax with a few others and talk about our annual trip to Edinburgh.
The house is an adorable Edinburgh villa with ample parking and regular busses to the nearbye city centre.
All in all a pleasant stay and we will be back.

Room Tip: Middle rooms are our favourites.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank James T
Reviewed 11 September 2011

Good location, handy for taking the bus, but beds were uncomfortable and dinner service was very slow.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 August 2011

After looking back at previous reviews i recognised the room we have just stayed in and was amazed that that review was in sept 2009, nearly 2 years ago! Surely the problems should have been fixed by now? The hotel was charming in itself & the staff were lovely, the breakfasts were excellent. The room was such a let-down, i don't think it deserves an "EXECUTIVE" label due to being damp & the bathroom was indeed tatty looking with loose fittings & cracked tiles, we didn't find out if the spa bath worked as we didn't want to spend that much time in there!! We were compensated after complaining but would have rather paid full price & not had to complain. Would stay again, in a different room!

Room Tip: I would avoid room 2
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jane h
KildonanLodgeHotel, Owner at Kildonan Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2011

Hi

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I am delighted that you would stay again. I am really pleased that you liked the staff and the breakfast and that you found the hotel charming. I just wanted to let you know that the small damp patch in the room was due to unusually heavy rainfall and this has now been treated. I hope that the complimentary meal and discount helped to compensate for any disappointment but appreciate that this was only second to the room being perfect for you. I very much look forward to you revisiting the hotel. Please contact us in advance and we can give you very full descriptions of all the rooms and let you see pictures so you can choose a room that you really like.

Thanks

Reviewed 18 August 2011

I ended up booking at this hotel as a result of some late decisions when planning my conference-going for this summer, and I was trying to balance a cheap price against actually being able to find my way into the city centre. To my surprise, I managed to satisfy both those conditions at no cost to the quality of the room at all!

This hotel is family run, and it felt very cosy. The room I stayed in was spacious, very high ceiling (so high that the bathroom was in fact contained in a smaller box with a lower ceiling). Very pleasant old-fashioned decor and furniture, but not worn or old in a bad way.

The week I stayed in Edinburgh was quite hot, and the location of this hotel ensured that I could have a quiet night even with the window open.

I am really trying to scrape together some negative points here, as you might suspect:
- there wasn't really anywhere to get a quick bite in the surrounding area, so I had to help myself from some crisps from the "honesty bar" instead.
- Finally, the hotel internet is completely unsecured, which is a bit of a hazard to the casual user (anyone could peek into your facebook account and such if you use it the wrong way).

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business