4,360 results
All reviews the palm court hadrian's brasserie scotch bar rocco forte sean connery concierge staff train station beautiful hotel turn down service luxury hotel princes street birthday treat edinburgh castle castle view royal mile spa doorman
Reviewed 12 November 2018

The hotel is just beautiful, and it stood out even more for its amenities and amazing service. From the included breakfast spread, to cocktails & oysters at Prince and the afternoon tea at Palm Court, we enjoyed just about everything The Balmoral has to offer. One standout would have to be the whisky tasting with Cameron at Scotch. A nice birthday treat, very interesting and lots of fun. If there is any room for improvement, it would have to be the beds which we found to not be the most comfortable! But overall, we were so happy with our choice and will hopefully be returning!

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank cpmlmm
Reviewed 10 November 2018

We stayed at the Balmoral for two nights for our anniversary, as this was a hotel that my husband has wanted to stay at since he was a child. This was a real splurge for us, and our expectations were sky high. We were not disappointed.

The building was absolutely beautiful, with a feel of understated luxury (Edinburgh is not a city for bling). Our room was gorgeous. It's not often that you spend an enjoyable 15 minutes examining the wallpaper in a hotel room! The comfortable bed and the (enormous) bath in particular were very much welcomed after long days exploring a cold city.

We ate at the hotel both nights we were there. We tried their less formal brasserie the first night, and both thoroughly enjoyed our meals. The anniversary dinner we had at Number One, however, was spectacular.

Breakfast overall was very good. A wide selection of hot meals, and a top quality cold buffet selection (the pastries in particular were as good as anything we had in France). I can vouch for the eggs royale as being exceptional and my husband said that every part of his full breakfast was perfectly done. The only off point was my kedgeree day two - I got it because I hadn't ever eaten it before and generally love Indian flavours, but it lacked flavour. I don't know if that's because the dish itself is generally a bit lacklustre, but it's one to be avoided. To be fair, I'm sure the staff would have brought something else had I asked.

Staff and service were flawless.

The location is great. Bang in the middle of everything, and right above Waverley. Arriving by train, you could conceivably be in your room 15 minutes after pulling in at the station.

A final point - thanks for the macaroons. They were delicious.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank Ange0202
BalmoralEdinburgh, General Manager at The Balmoral Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Ange0202

What a delightful review and most meaningful for me is the fact that your husband has wanted to stay here since he was a child!

It was truly our pleasure to have you stay with us, and I hope you will consider this your home from home when next in Edinburgh.

Kindest regards

Richard C

Reviewed 8 November 2018 via mobile

This is a real treat for anyone visiting the city - a real "oasis"!
The Palm court itself is a perfect setting in which to relax and the service is exceptional.
A great range of teas to choose from and the sandwiches and cakes are amazing!

If you are going I suggest you plan for a light breakfast and a light dinner !

Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank IanW911
Reviewed 7 November 2018

We stayed at the Balmoral or 3 nights. Great location. Easy walking distance to museums, the castle, exhibits and to the Tattoo and restaurants in the area.Staff was great. Very courteous and helpful. Food was good as was the presentation. Enjoyed the spa area. Gym a bit sparse, Room was comfortable, but not world class (ala the Ritz Carlton)' In general, a good place to stay.

Date of stay: August 2018
2  Thank Arties191
Reviewed 6 November 2018 via mobile

We decided to visit Edinburgh for our 20th wedding anniversary and chose The Balmoral to stay at.

We took the train up from Kings Cross and the hotel was literally right next to the station, which was super handy.

Checking in was quick and painless and within 5 minutes were in our room. We had chosen an executive double and the hotel kindly gave us a city view room, from where we had a great view of the castle and all the way down Princes Street.

The room is small but beautifully decorated. The bed and pillows were extremely comfortable.

Bathroom was compact but the shower worked well (my husband judges hotels by the shower!).

There was a handwritten note by the hotel manager congratulating us on our anniversary along with a plate of delicious chocolates and macarons. Returning to our room after turn down, we had rose petals scattered on the bed - a sweet touch.

Breakfast is pretty basic - not a huge amount of choice - but the food was excellent. My Eggs Benedict were perfect!

The highlight of the hotel by far are the staff - each and every one of them were friendly and couldn’t do enough for us. The concierge team were amazing and helped us maximise our limited time in the city.

Highly recommended.

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Man0g