“Cozy place, very helpful staff and friendly Peter :)”

Cherry Tree Villa Guest House
Ranked #206 of 394 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 November 2016

I arrived bit early but Peter was kind enough to offer me breakfast and offered me a room very quickly. Also, he offered me a bigger, more spacious room/ensuite for the major portion of my stay even though I had booked for something smaller! Breakfast is a very friendly affair with Peter and his wonderful staff genuinely making you feel welcome and nice. I was blissfully unaware until I had to vacate my 'bonus' room when someone else arrived to take it and only when I saw my original room could I see how generous this gesture really was :) Peter also guided me during my initial days and patiently answered all my queries. Overall the best way to start in a new city! I'd recommend this place to everyone :)

Room Tip: Room in the basement is where I stayed and it was simply the best!
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo

Reviewed 14 November 2016

For the price we were given a real treat here. Very clean and breakfast cooked to order. Lovely people that were so helpful. I arrived very late, but that was accommodated and I felt at home and safe.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 November 2016

Best thing about the Cherry Tree Villa was the location, on a quiet side street about a 20 minute walk south of City Centre. My room as a solo traveler on the third floor was awkward at best. Had a double bed placed at an angle, and I had to step over the corner of the bed to get to my luggage. Only lights in the room that worked were the lights on the stands on each side of the bed. The room had a very tiny sink, and shower and toilet were in the hall shared with another room. Shared shower was extremely small and could have been cleaner. Cooked breakfast was included, however was served lukewarm, at best. Owner lives elsewhere and this property is just an investment. It shows. Would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 October 2016 via mobile

I stay in dozens of small hotels and b&b's each year and this is exactly the kind of place I like to avoid.
It's seaside landlord approach to accommodation, stuffy rooms and cheap, secondhand store furniture is dreary, disappointing and dull. In a city with splendid architecture and character, this guest house does some things right; the pre-call was welcome, the check in smooth and breakfast more than adequate, however I disliked being advised to park on the single yellow line outside - being told "you'll be okay until 8:30am". The room I had had a shower room and it's essential partner - a toilet, across a multi stepped public landing.
My room required me to descend 6 steps to the floor from the door and gave barely enough room for the bed.
A chair, set of drawers and corner mounted sink provided the furnishings and the Tv was so high and far away as to require a relay station to be observed in the bed.
To alleviate the warm and slightly dusty smell, I partially opened the sash window only to then listen to the sounds of late night cities the world over.
I couldn't wait to leave and left without my included breakfast, although this looked copious and tasty enough if my fellow guests appearance and enthusiasm was anything to go by.
Besides I had to beat the traffic warden!
If you are travelling from abroad and visiting the wonderful city which is Edinburgh, I would not say this is cheap or desirable. Caveat emptor.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 August 2016 via mobile

My dear Mum always said if you cant say something nice, then dont say anything at all, this will therefore be a short review. Positively, the proprietor is wonderful, polite, helpful, went out of his way, the location is very good, walking distance to the Uni, ideal during Festival time, standard and price of the room, left wanting, shame.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple