“Great breakfast & central location”

Aynetree Guest House
Ranked #155 of 394 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 July 2015

Highlights: 10-15 min walk from Portobello beach; full scottish breakfast; option for porridge or vegetarian; tickets to main attractions available; clean and comfortable room; quiet; bus stop directly outside of b&b; 15 minute bus into town; able to leave luggage upon early check-in; good wifi

Note: check-in and check-out are fixed and prompt

Room Tip: The room we stayed in had a private bathroom down the hallway with a separate private key entrance...
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
brianpolo, Owner at Aynetree Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2015

Thank you so much for a great review. I am so glad that you enjoyed the breakfast. It is "tailor" made to suit each individual and on arrival we like to get an idea of what people want eg. allergies, vegan, full scottish..etc....if we do not have an ingredient we would go out and buy it (within reason). This only really applies to people who stay longer than one night as we need time to shop for special ingredients and as we are always so busy sometimes we cannot do it at once. It is a pleasant change to walk down to Portobello beach and there is a great restaurant there called Espy and a great pub for music called Dalriada (no food in this pub). Also, Portobello high st. has some nice restaurants and is an up and coming little place. As for check in and out. We are very lenient with people checking in and they can do from 9.30 am to 22. 00 hrs. I think that this is a very good window to check in. We do, however ask people to give us a rough time of arrival as if we did not ask this then we would never have any life of own and never go out at all or shop etc..As we do not have a receptionist (this would be too costly and put up room prices) we do everything ourselves and therefore time of arrival is important to us. Check out is at 10 am but guests may leave at any time before this if they wish eg. early flights. Guests cannot stay after 10 am as rooms need to be serviced for guest arriving and it would be most unfair if the rooms were not cleaned for 2 pm for the official check in time. The reason why your room was ready and waiting for your arrival at 2pm was because the guests before you checked out on time. Rather like a conveyer belt, I suppose!!!!

Reviewed 1 July 2015

Very welcoming B&B. Brian helpful and friendly. Loved the Victorian house especially the wooden floors - everything spotless and cleaned each day. Breakfast lovely. I am not used to eating breakfast but thoroughly enjoyed it. Vegetarian catered for - no problem. Bus stop directly outside and only a short journey into Edinburgh central. Great value. Would recommend and would visit again. Thank you. Bruce and Linda

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
brianpolo, Owner at Aynetree Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2015

Thank you for the great review. Yes, we love the stripped floors and as they are washed every day it keeps everything free from dust mites. Far more hygienic than carpets. You were in room 3 which was at the front of the house (the room were somebody posted a bus going by for some strange reason). I am glad that this room was satisfactory in every way. Cleanliness and friendliness and breakfast are always our strong points. I suppose, most of the important things that people are looking for. Hope to see you both again one day and good luck with your work in the museum.

Reviewed 30 June 2015

From the moment my family of 4 arrived, we were warmly greeted and treated like family. Rooms and house were very clean and breakfast was custom made to order. My wife is vegan and Brian the owner fully accommodated her diet needs. There is a bus stop right out front that takes you into town every 10 minutes for £8.50 all day family pass. The rooms are quiet and comfortable. Brian even sells tickets to the castle at the same price the castle does so you can skip the queue. Brian was a wealth of local information and ideas. This is a very family friendly hotel and also caters to couples. Will defiantly be staying here again and telling everyone I know to do the same.

Room Tip: Our room had a main bed and a set of bunk beds for our two children.
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Deployedbrian

Thank you for your great review. Brian has always been great with children and is a real family man. As we do not get many children here (they all go to the travel lodges) it was a pleasure for him to "entertain" them. He is a child at heart. Room 2 with the bunk beds is a grand room and very spacious. I am so glad that you enjoyed his breakfast (this is all he can cook) and am sorry that I did not meet you. Regards, Anne.

Reviewed 26 June 2015

Stayed here in April.It is outside Edinburgh but there is a bus stop just outside to travel in to the city, very handy.The room we stayed in had plenty of space and was nice & cosy.The breakfast was great & Brian was very helpful to everyone with advice on many things.So there is nothing to complain about the stay here just

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
brianpolo, Owner at Aynetree Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2015

Hi Archie, Thank you so much for the great review. I am so glad that you both had a comfortable stay and it was good to receive some Welsh folk. We never have Welsh people staying except at the rugby. Love the accent! Anne.

Reviewed 17 June 2015

Before we booked our honeymoon trip to Scotland, my husband and I combed through dozens of hotel and B&B websites. We wanted to choose a space that was close to public transit, particularly tidy, and cost-effective. I also wanted to book with a space that had a local feel to it, which is ultimately why we dismissed the run-of-the-mill hotel booking. All of this is a bit of a tall order these days, but Aynetree delivered exactly the experience I was hoping for and more. We would absolutely book again.

Many other groups booked while we stayed our week. Everyone was friendly and seemed happy and well-tended to. The full Scottish breakfast in the morning was fantastic and provided the energy we needed to begin our busy days. Our room was comfortable with a good amount of storage space. Our mattress, in particular, was lovely. The bath, located around the corner outside our room, was large and included additional room for storage. Our room and bath were meticulously cleaned every day. Great internet connectivity. A warm, well-cared for space. There's even a bus stop right outside the Guest House for a ten-minute ride to Old Town museums and shops.

Anne and Brian, as well as their excellent staff, were very accommodating. Good-humoured and extremely informative, they made our trip to Edinburgh as seamless and enjoyable as possible.

Ultimately we were so pleased with our experience and were in no hurry to leave. Can't wait to book with Aynetree when we visit beautiful Edinburgh in the future.

--Stayed a week June 2015, as a couple

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple

Lana, thank you so much for this glowing review. It made my day and I sent a copy to Lynn, our Manageress who looked after you mainly as we were on holiday. She was so pleased and it was very important to her as she only looks after the place once a year. I am sorry that I did not know that you were both on honeymoon or else I would have instructed Lynn to leave champagne in your room for your arrival. I am so glad that you enjoyed the 6 or 7 breakfasts (as you stayed for a week) and I am especially grateful for this mention as the review a few before yours stated - room tip --"do not eat the breakfast". These people had breakfast on only one morning. You had six or seven breakfasts. I ask our readers. Which one is more reliable? I am also glad that you did not mind the separate bathroom (room 4) but you had booked this one so perhaps the bath was an attractive feature. I agree with you that the WiFi has a good connection, otherwise it would be impossible for us to run the business. I do hope to see you both again although I only met you both briefly when I returned from our 5 day holiday. The next time you return I shall make sure that champagne is on ice. Have a good day.