“Amazing , great food , friendly staff”
Review of Hotel Cladhan

Hotel Cladhan
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Falkirk
Reviewed 4 August 2009

Having travelled from England for a conference in the locality i spent two nights in the cladhan hotel. I can say with the utmost sincerity that the cladhan hotel can rival any of the city hotels that i have stayed in throughout the country. On arrival i was checked in by a friendly staff member and escorted to my room. The room itself was comfortable and generous in spacial terms with modern en suite facilities.

I decided to dine in the hotel and was pleasantly surprised to discover one could enjoy a three course meal for only £10! My initial scepticism about the quality of the food at that price was entirely unfounded. Efficient and friendly waiting staff ensured that all my needs were taken care of , the food was quite excellent and portions sizeable. I must comment that rarely have i come across a more friendly helpful team of staff who had an amazing rapport with customers. There was 2 dining rooms in the hotel which were both packed with customers , yet the waiting staff expertly dealt with drink and food orders whilst the reception and manager dealt with waiting guests in a jovial and professional fashion.

Although the hotel was busy at the time when i had a query about local golf courses the manager went out of his way to help by telling me about local facilities and then directing a member of staff at the reception to print off further information.

I had a most enjoyable stay at the Hotel Cladhan and would have no hesitation in recommending the hotel to other travellers to the area.

Roger from Milton Keynes

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 3 August 2009

My 4 night stay at this hotel really made my trip to scotland. I was so shocked at reading the other reviews and I am glad I never read them before I went. The staff were so welcoming to my husband and I as soon as we arrived and although the rooms were small, they were clean and tidy! The location was excellent, only a two minute walk into the town centre - which staff kindly directed me too. From there it was only a short train journey to glasgow or edinburgh. The hotel restaurant served excellent dinners and at great vaue - 3 courses for 10 pounds after which, we were able to enjoyed a quiet drink in the hotel lounge area.
My husband and I will definetly return to the clahdan on our next trip to scotland as we really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2009

Stayed here for a month while working on a building close to area. Was a bit worried re other reviews but have to say I so need not have been!! Here's a wee insight to my month ha.

Reception- Helpful and friendly. Lots of local knowledge. One of the girls printed me off several multi maps, cinema listings and train times, very helpful.

Food- Well. Lets just say Ive put on two stone. Full freshly cooked breakfast every morning, well I tried to limit it to every second morning. Also available was fruit, yoghurt,cereal, toast and pastries etc. Dinner was the real bargin. 3 courses for ten quid every night of the week. You contractors out there will know what I mean when I say I dont wanna spend all my money on food ha...so this left plenty change for the odd lager. Portions huge, 8 or nine choices, can't fault it.

Location- 3 minute walk from the high street. Within staggering distance of pubs and clubs, in fact was even escorted by the staff there on a few occassions! Opposite a huge park with flats that look like they hold down and outs but actually are all occupied by old age pensioners.

Accomodation- Lounge, bar and restaurant very modern. Seem to be in process of upgrading rooms. Plasma telly and clean linen and towels, what more do you want at a four star hotel.

Overall I was made to feel very welcome at this hotel. It wasn't perfect but it was friendly and the staff were real characters not robots like some places I have said. Terrific value for money and wouldn't think twice about booking again. Thanks guys, see you soon. Bobby

Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank BobbyDream
Reviewed 7 May 2009

Two Fridays ago my wife and I decided to try the Hotel Cladhan for a meal and I phoned on the wed to book a table in the Priory restaurant the girl took the booking and I thought that all would be fine. WRONG!!!

When we arrived for our 8pm booking we were met at reception by a waitress who said to follow her to our table,we became concerned when she proceeded to walk straight passed the restaurant and showed us into the adjoining room which had all of the charm and welcome of a dole office.
She showed us to a table for two which was not even set up properly there was culery missing and there was only one bread role in fact it looked like there had been somone sitting at the table on their own and they had just left.
The atmosphere in the room was like a cross between dinner time in an old folks home and a staff canteen as there was a table of about twenty or so older women who seemed to be on a coach trip and another table of about the same number of very loud ladies who seemed to be on a staff night out and the noise was deafening.
we sat at the table and we were shadowed by a young waiter who hovered over us and asked us if we would like to order a drink to which we replied no but we would like to see the wine list we were given a couple of one page menus which contained the "meal deal" choices and a wine list which to be honest contained a fair selection of reasonably priced wines. but we decided that we could not stand the noise any longer and my wife went to seek out the manager to see why we were not seated in the restaurant as booked.
When she was gone for about ten mins I went to the reception to see what the trouble was and found her in what can only be discibed as a heated exchange with this young man who said that he was the manager, we explained that we had booked a table in the Priory restaurant and that we had placed at a half set table in the next room and pointed out to him about the noise and lack of charm in this room and he said that this room was still part of the Priory reataurant and that they never garanteed a table in the restaurant to anyone and the tables were alocated on a first come first served basis and when we pointed out to him that there were at least three tables empty in the restaurant he said that they were for people who had booked before us! thus making a mockery of the first come first served argument, he then said that any way we would have liked the restaurant any more than the other room as they had a noisey table of eight in there as well, abit different to two tables of twenty all yabbering at once dont you agree?
He then went on to stae that the hotel does THOUSANDS? of meals every weekend and we were the FIRST? to complain, I DONT THINK SO!
My wife told the manager that we dined at the Park Hotel in Falkirk regulary and that they had always manged to give us a table in their restaurant and he proceeded to argue with her saying that they also could never have garanteed a table in their restaurant either so we asked himto phone the park hotel who ironically is the sister hotel to the cladhan having the same owners and right away they said that we could have table in the restaurant without any problem.
We asked if the hotel would call a taxi for us which they did and we at our expense went to the Park Hotel and we had a lovely meal and wonderfull evening very much in contrast to our experience in the Cladhan.
What concerns me most is the fact that the manager seemed to care not a jot that he had lost two potentially regular customers he seemed more concerned about telling us that his hotel does THOUSANDS! of meals in a weekend and that we were the first to complain.
If I might sugest that he starts caring less about the numbers game and concentrates more on creating a welcoming atmosphere then things might get just a little bit better for future diners at the Cladhan Hotel.
PS we were not expecting Devonshire Gardens type standards just a caring and convivial visit to this local establishment.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank TheTrencherman
Reviewed 13 December 2007

We booked a two night stay at the Cladhan to attend a family wedding nearby. Our party consisted of two adults and two children under five.

We chose the Cladhan because of its town centre location, availability of family room/suite and good price.

Due to various reasons we arrived at the hotel at about 1am on our first night - we were given a warm welcome by the staff on duty. (There seemed a lot for that time, I later learned there are regular discos in the main function room).
We went up to our room and, initially, were impressed by the size of the main bedroom, the adjoining twin room for our children and the modern bathroom. The room also had flat screen television with a wide range of cable/satellite channels.
Our initial enthusiasm was tempered by a couple of minor niggles - lights that did not work and a fair bit of dust in the twin room- but overall we were satisfied and hoped for a good nights sleep...

As parents of two small children we are used to being woken early, however, at around 6am we were woken by a huge noise which, to us, sounded like someone operating a pneumatic drill in the room. After about 45 minutes I'd had enough and went down to reception to find out the cause of the noise (this was after discovering that the room telephone was inoperative). The night person on the front desk could not hear this noise and refused to come and hear it for herself (or get another member of staff). The lady in the kitchen came out at this point and also expressed surprise at my complaints of noise but admitted that the fans for the freezers in the kitchen came on at 6am. Sure enough attached to the wall outside the kitchen, and directly below our room, were two aircon type units which sounded in need of serious maintenance.

Further discussion took place with the desk person who stated that she had never heard of any noise complaints previously from the room we were in, she was unable to help us further as she could not leave the desk and that there would be no member of the management in until 9am at the earliest - this last point not strictly true as the duty manager who checked us in at 1am was on the premises but asleep.

Later, after an excellent breakfast, we were moved into a family room at the front of the hotel. This room, while not as large as the original nor having been updated, was adequate and suffered no noise problem. Throughout this process what amazed me was the straightfaced denials that the noise was a problem without even entering the room in our presence.

Overall the Cladhan serves an excellent breakfast, the staff are friendly and some aspects of the rooms are good, however niggles over room fittings, cleanliness and the housekeeping staff practice of wedging open fire doors while servicing rooms left me less than impressed (all issues I raised with the duty manager). In addition I believe that the room we were in first should not be let unless you want a 6am alarm call.

Perhaps the "Terrible" rating is a bit harsh but the "Okay, but some problems" rating seems far too generous to me. Either way I'll never be back and wouldn't recommend the hotel to someone looking for a family room.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank athomeindorset
Also consider these accommodations in or near Falkirk
1.1 km away
2.9 km away
Grange Manor
Grange Manor
#1 of 4 in Grangemouth

Been to Hotel Cladhan? Share your experiences!