Victoria Hotel
  • Restaurant
The Strathearn(Kirkcaldy)
Royal Hotel(Kirkcaldy)
TripAdvisor
All reviewshigh teacakestoastchicken marylandsingle roomanne marieexcellent foodmacaronivisited this hotelwould highly recommend this hotelcooked breakfastfamily weddingbar staffout of this worldsteak pietea coffeewedding reception
Reviewed 3 February 2018 via mobile

I stayed here on a family visit and I have to say that it was not a very good experience. We had to pay on arrival which I thought strange as we were there for 3 nights and you usually settle your bill when you leave now I know why because its awful. We were in Room 9 which had frosted glass on the window which was weird and when I opened it was looking unto a roof with extractor fans, which when it rained the noise was intolerable. The bathroom had cracked tiles and the shower was just a trickle of water and took ages to heat up. The staff in the morning are lovely and the cooked breakfast was good,but whatever you do, do not order a dinner of the A La Carte Menu it has to be one of the worst meals I've had, my partner got Lasagne which was just cheese sauce and mince and I asked for the fresh breaded Haddock which was frozen everything was frozen and cooked in the microwave, the poor waitress didn't know what to say because we didn't eat it but there is no point complaining to her. The day we were checking out we went to reception and the two receptionists were that engrossed in their own conversation that they didn't even see us leave the key, not even a thank you or how was your stay so we just left. I then received an email from this hotel asking hope I had a pleasant stay and see you in the future and to give them a review on TripAdvisor, I replied to them saying I would but not a good one.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Eilish M
VictoriaHotel28, General Manager at Victoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2018

Hi Eilish,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us this feedback following your recent stay.
Unfortunately, during your 3-night stay with us, none of the above issues were brought to our attention. Therefore, we did not have to opportunity to rectify the issues such as the noise you were receiving from the rain outside the window or your issues with the shower.
If we had been made aware of the above issues at the time, we would have done our very best to resolve the issues and ensure your stay was as pleasant as possible.
Thank you for your lovely comments regarding our breakfast and staff. In regards to the A La Carte Menu, we don't actually provide an A La Carte Menu but regarding the Lasagna and the Freshly Breaded Haddock, i'm sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the meal you received, please be assured nothing in our kitchen is microwaved, our Lasagna is homemade and cooked to order, our Fresh Fish is sourced from our local trusted supplier and is delivered fresh 2-3 times week, and is most definitely not frozen as you state above, we regularly receive excellent feedback on both dishes so it is disappointing to hear that this was not the case during your visit.
You state above that the waitress did not know what to say as you both did not finish your meal, but you also state you did not complain to any of the staff during your meal. Regrettably, no issues were brought to any of our staff member's attention on the evening as they were attending to your table, therefore, we did not have the opportunity to rectify this for you as we were unaware that you were unhappy with your meal.
I'm sorry to hear that upon departure of the hotel you were not addressed from the receptionist, the receptionists you speak of, on the day were actually one of a new trainee who was undergoing training from a member of the management team, under no circumstances was a personal or sociable conversation undergoing, the discussion was one of a training matter which was strictly professional. However, please accept our sincerest apologies that if on this occasion, departure was not up to the usual standard, we try to address each and every guest departing the hotel and ensure they have had an enjoyable experience with us.

I would like to thank you again for taking the time to leave us this feedback, and assure you of our best intentions at all times.

Reviewed 2 February 2018 via mobile

I had 2 midweek stays in, 1st room was at the back of the hotel. Overall for a single room it was adequate, however the main radiator didn’t work when I needed it to, i informed reception who offered a different room which I refused then offered me a portable heater which I accepted. Upon returning to my room and opening the door I felt I’d stepped in to the Amazon!!! The main radiator was suddenly working and the portable heater had been left in full whack! The radiator wouldn’t turn off, so god knows how it turned in!!!??? It remained too hot so ended up with the window open all night until the rain started coming in. I mentioned the plug not fitting but I don’t think they fixed it. Later that day the radiator had turned off and never came back on again?
The hotels plumbing system desperately needs updating as you’ll find pockets of hot air throughout the hotel corridors. There is no consistently average warmth nor do all the radiators work effectively.
The hotel building itself is lovely (does need refurbishing though) and there is great potential to make this place even more better. The bedding is clean and towels replaced frequently. Staff are very helpful and breakfast is fab. Wasn’t overly impressed with the restaurant on the night, had steak which was over cooked. The waitress gave us our food but didn’t return to ask if everything was ok. No staff appeared for 30 minutes, I complained and was offered another one/dessert/coffee. I didn’t want any of these and was slightly disappointed a reduction of the bill was offered. We then had to go and find staff to pay the bill!!
Second week’s room was fine at first until I realised the water wasn’t hot even after running it for several minutes. Again I was offered a different room (last week’s one) which I refused and said I’ll wait to see if it can be fixed. Later in the afternoon they rung the room and stated I’ll be moving rooms as it was going to take more than a day. I was upgraded to a double/mini suite with double bed, bath with shower, settee, table and large tv. This was lovely although stikl needed updating. It was too hot so u started to turn down the 4 radiators in the room!!! Water was hotter but still required a few minutes to run. Bathroom radiator never worked nor did 2/4 in the room. the windows rattled in the window and only 2/6 would open as the others were either too stiff or painted shut.
Again serious refurbishment of hotel is required.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled on business
VictoriaHotel28, General Manager at Victoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2018

Hi Tara B,

Thank you so much for your very detailed review following your recent stay with us.
As a small family run business, we really value the time our guests put into relaying feedback to us and do our very best to continually learn and improve following these comments.
Thank you for your lovely comments on our staff and breakfast, i'm thrilled you enjoyed this each morning.
I'm sorry that during your stay with us, countless issues fell short of expectation. As you mention, we did our very best to improve your stay at every opportunity and are glad you were pleased with our double suite and were able to have a comfortable stay after the room move. We are delighted to inform you that our refurbishment is beginning this week, and all of the bedrooms within the Victoria Hotel will be updated as required, this is a very exciting time for us and we are looking forward to progressing.
We do hope that you will visit us again when our refurbishment is complete.

Thank you again for your feedback, and please be assured of our best intentions at all times.

Reviewed 29 January 2018 via mobile

Stayed for three nights. Food was excellent, very good breakfast and the staff were very helpful. I had a single room which was basic but clean, however it needs an update, especially the bathroom and shower.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends

Hi Chris C,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us this feedback following your recent stay with us.
Thank you so much for your lovely compliments regarding the restaurant food, breakfast and and our staff.
We are delighted to inform you that our refurbishment of the bedrooms within the hotel is beginning this week, and we are much looking forward to the update.

We hope you will visit us again when the refurbishment is complete, and enjoy another stay with us!

Thank you again.

Reviewed 22 January 2018

went and had high teas with the family excellent meal
would recommend this hotel to anyone
first class service food was out of this world no-one could finish their plate
the helpings was a little too much

Stayed: September 2017

Hi William H,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us this feedback following your recent visit.
We are so glad you had such a pleasant visit on this special occasion, thank so much for your lovely comments!

Hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed 27 December 2017 via mobile

Well, Victoria Hotel has restored my faith in eating out on Christmas Day after a bad experience at a Kirkcaldy hotel 2 years ago.
On arrival we sat in the cosy bar with other diners for a drink before being shown through to our table in the restaurant which was nicely decorated. Staff were busy but very attentive as usual. The tables were nicely set with very good quality crackers and the menus were displayed nicely in scrolls. Food was typical Christmas fayre which was good. Nothing too fancy but hot, nicely presented food. We finished 3 courses with tea/coffee and mince pies.
Families/couples were sat at tables that offered space and not crammed up. Very nice. Will we eat out there again at Christmas? YES.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
VictoriaHotel28, Manager at Victoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2018

Hi Maureen D,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us this lovely review.
We are delighted you had such a pleasant experience with us on Christmas Day and thoroughly enjoyed your time with us.
I have passed on all of your lovely comments to the staff and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel!

Thank you again.