Holborn Hotel
US$125
US$101
Murray House(Thurso)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsred pepperstayed one nightcullen skinkscottish breakfastfollowing morningbreakfast was excellentannexbath
Reviewed 13 July 2016 via mobile

I came to the Holborn Hotel with my family, we were looking forward to a nice meal out. Unfortunately we were not impressed with the food we received. Almost £5 for 2 haggis balls and some mashed potato when you can get a full plate on nachos for almost the same price. Then for our mains one family member ordered the haddock for almost £11 what came out of the kitchen was worth a fiver at most. We complained about the fish and got the response that there was nothing that could be done as the size of the fish was outwith their control. The piece of fish we received looked like the fish served as their fish Friday deal. We were very dissapointed in this meaning that the family member who ordered the food had to then have another main meal to fill his hunger. I feel this restaurant/bar is very overpriced for average food. The menu could do with a change and include new dishes.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 May 2016 via mobile

Ate here with my family for lunch. Place was dead, lunch was basic tuna on my panini was too wet, my son had a milkshake and it was tiny and cost £1.50 and was basically crusha, didn't even put a straw in it for him. Person who served us was extremely dry and barely smiled.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 6 April 2016 via mobile

We stayed one night at the Holborn hotel whilst travelling back to Orkney after a holiday. We arrived at 10pm after a very long train journey and were greeted by a friendly and efficient young man.
We stayed in the annexe which was perfectly suited to our needs with two bedrooms and a bathroom accessed through a private door.
Having settled the younger children, and left them with our adult daughter, we were able to enjoy a relaxing drink in the bar, and a very enjoyable chat with the young man mentioned earlier.
The rooms themselves are nice enough, clean and tidy, if a little basic. Shower could do with a mat as floor is slippery, and bathroom is basic, but warm and clean.
Breakfast was very nice, full Scottish breakfast, cereal, and scrambled eggs with smoked salmon were sampled, and the lady serving was helpful and friendly.
Pretty good value for money, and perfectly adequate, the staff here, particularly the chap on the bar, make all the difference.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 February 2016 via mobile

The service is a joke never seen such a sour faced depressed service staff she
just grunted and give dirty looks at us and customers
It made me and my girlfriend feel very unwelcome and uncomfortable
Prices are way overpriced for the food and drink feel like I have been mugged to some degree
food is good but the major let down is the staff and service there's a more friendly welcoming atmosphere in a morgue
I will not be returning again I don't recommend this place to anyone

Stayed: February 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank Vincent W
Reviewed 28 September 2015

It doesn't look special from the outside and maybe is not the first place to find when driving thru Thurso, but we had a really pleasant stay. It has been the most expensive room, we had on our trip, but the super quality of the breakfast and the hospitality of the people made up for this. Always important: The rooms were clean, of a comfortable size and had free WiFi.
In the restaurant and also in the pub of the hotel you can get great food for reasonable prizes. I appreciated that they named the butcher and farmers, where they buy their foodstuff.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple