“Simple but good hotel in Thurso”
Review of Holborn Hotel

Holborn Hotel
Ranked #19 of 19 Thurso B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 September 2016 via mobile

I stayed here for one night when I was working nearby. It is conveniently located in central Thurso and has free wi-fi, a bar and a restaurant. My room was simple but fine, although there were no batteries in the TV remote. The restaurant had stopped serving food when I arrived (just after 9pm) but there was a good Indian restaurant next door so I was happy.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business

Reviewed 31 August 2016

Hotel is run down and could do with a lick of paint. Room was clean enough and shower was decent, apart from this there is not many other positives I can give. My partner and I had the worst sleep and barely slept a wink as the bed was so uncomfortable. Judging by the rest of the décor, the mattresses are probably well in need of upgrading and the pillows are cheap and thin too. Breakfast took half an hour form ordering and when it came what was left of the egg (after a bad case of poaching) was overdone and like rubber. My partner and I were both running late for work because of the late breakfast. At £90 per night this hotel was well over priced, I wouldn't pay £40 for it. Shame as I am in thurso often for work and had this hotel been decent I would have returned often.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 August 2016 via mobile

All traits I like in a woman, but not in a breakfast.

40 mins to get served, sausage was undercooked, table was slimey, had to grab milk from another table, and there was a hair in the mushrooms.

On a positive it had a nice shower.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Alan S
Reviewed 9 August 2016

Stayed here 9th July 2016 whilst on the 500 North Coast tour. Room very disappointing. In much need of a makeover and a clean as the top of the door was thick with dust. No staff on reception evenings or mornings so couldn't complain. My husband had a beer in the bar but was very watery and disgusting. Will not be staying here again. This was the worst hotel of the tour. And to top it all off there was a live band playing in the bar 10 til late so didn't get much sleep.Absolutely DREADFUL. I DO NOT recommend this hotel. Very small carpark opposite for 5 cars. Ok if you park on the end near road no room to manouvre if you park further in the carpark.

Room Tip: Don't recommend anyone stays here.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2016 via mobile

I came to the Holborn Hotel with my family, we were looking forward to a nice meal out. Unfortunately we were not impressed with the food we received. Almost £5 for 2 haggis balls and some mashed potato when you can get a full plate on nachos for almost the same price. Then for our mains one family member ordered the haddock for almost £11 what came out of the kitchen was worth a fiver at most. We complained about the fish and got the response that there was nothing that could be done as the size of the fish was outwith their control. The piece of fish we received looked like the fish served as their fish Friday deal. We were very dissapointed in this meaning that the family member who ordered the food had to then have another main meal to fill his hunger. I feel this restaurant/bar is very overpriced for average food. The menu could do with a change and include new dishes.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thurso
0.6 km away
24.1 km away
Melvich Hotel
Melvich Hotel
#2 of 9 in Thurso

Been to Holborn Hotel? Share your experiences!