“Terrible Customer Service”
Review of Puffin Express - CLOSED

Puffin Express
Reviewed 15 May 2011

Like some of the other reviewers, I am also surprised that this company is still in business! We had a very bad experience last year with Puffin Express (or Nor'west Tours as they are also, or were previously, known). We went on a short trip in the north of Scotland with this company and, although we loved the sights, we were given incorrect information regarding the schedule of part of the tour. We tried to contact the office in Inverness but there was no answer so, rather than miss out, we paid extra money to go on a day trip with a different coach company. We informed the Nor'West office of the problem on our return but they refused to take any responsibility for the mistake - instead we got a load of excuses. No proper apology was given but, eventually (more than 3 months later), we were given a refund of the extra money we had to pay. The aftercare skills and attitude of the owner of the company left a lot to be desired. Taking responsibility for what was clearly their mistake and a sincere apology would have gone a long way! If nothing goes wrong on your tour, you will probably have a great time but, if anything does, watch out! Next time, we will go with a tour company that we know and trust.

16  Thank WillM45

Reviewed 27 October 2010

I see Puffin has changed it's name. This good to know as I would never, ever subject myself to another experience like the one we had a couple of years ago with them. Yes our driver was the aforementioned Sinclair. He came across as one who knows everything about everything. If you don't believe him, just ask him! We really appreciated the nice touch of dropping us off at Cawdor Castle then being advised that he could not make it back to pick us up, but we could catch a bus "over there." I am truly surprised they are still in business!

16  Thank RIJC
Reviewed 22 September 2010

I'm a bit leery of bus tours. Most seem mechanical, impersonal and if you do have a driver who narrates, it's usually from a memorized script. Not so with Nor'West. My father and I took the Isle of Skye day tour earlier this month, and not only was Sinclair extremely knowledgeable of the surrounding area, he went out of his way to connect with everyone on a more personal level. Just don't be late to the pick-up points, haha. The scenery was spectacular and Sinclair even made a special stop so I could take in a spot I had a personal interest in. I'd recommend this tour to anyone. Thanks for a great day!

Reviewed 1 September 2009

I've recently been on two of Nor'west tours and enjoyed both of them. One was to the Castle of Mey which was small and interesting. The other was to the Applecross Peninsular. The wather was perfect to see the scenery. The lunch stop at the Potting Shed was very good. Fresh cooked food with a view of the garden. There was a few stops for photo's including one to see the red deer. Our guide Kathleen was very friendly and helpful. A very good way to see places that are off the beaten track.

1  Thank travelbug90
See more reviews
Reviewed 16 July 2009

Puffin Express (now called Nor-West Tours) run small, friendly tours in a minibus, from Inverness to the far reaches of Scotland. Sinclair Dunnett, who has been our guide on both of the trips I've been on, is a wonderfully friendly, funny and knowledgeable guide who helps everyone feel welcome, and shares his insider knowledge and love for the beautiful landscapes and wildlife that you will see if you go on one of the tours.

Earlier this month my boyfriend and I went on a Nor West Tours one day trip from Inverness to John o'Groats and back. Sinclair, our guide, was immensely knowledgeable about everywhere we went, and passed a "fact file" around the minibus with interesting snippets of news, interviews, maps and pictures relevant to the areas we were visiting.

As with the previous tour we took from Inverness to Skye back in 2005, there were lots of stops along the way, where we got the chance to get out of the bus, stretch our legs, explore the area and spot wildlife. On this particular tour, binoculars were provided so that we could get a close-up view of puffins, seals and deer!

This tour covers an incredible distance so it is quite a long day - we set off just after 9am and arrived back at about 8pm - by the end I think everyone was rather tired. But we packed an amazing amount in on the tour - from a wonderful picnic lunch stop in a secluded harbour, to multiple wildlife-spotting stops and of course, John O' Groats (which as Sinclair points out, is NOT the most northerly point in Britain!) You can read more about this particular tour at http://www.go-orkney.com/jog.htm

I'd thoroughly recommend these tours to anyone who loves the beautiful scenery in the Highlands and wants a friendly guide to help them see all the best bits in a day.