“Don't bring a car”
Review of Melrose Villa

Melrose Villa
Ranked #216 of 234 Inverness B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 April 2015

Arrived outside hotel and could not identify where to park as permit parking only outside. This was at 4.25 pm. I was told check in was from 4.30 only and that I could park in the local supermarket carpark and then move to the permit holders later. The owner then said that although permit parking is until 6 pm no one checks after 4.30 and that was why checking was after 4.30. Parked at supermarket and walked to hotel. Rang doorbell and no answer. Tried to phone but engaged. Stood for 15 minutes on doorstep. When owner did answer he was still on phone, no apology for keeping me waiting.
I was then presented with a receipt showing the owner had already taken the money from the credit card I used to book the room. No option to pay cash as I had planned.
Breakfast described as Full English was bacon, sausage, egg and tomato, however if you prefer Continental then there was a good range of fruit and cereal.
Single room was small but adequate however the nouse of extractor fan from neighbouring room disturbed my sleep. Could not mention this to the owner at the time as there is a notice saying no one available after 10 pm for any issues.
Given instructions on how to get to my room and told the lock didn't work properly. Breakfast only available 8-9 am but since the car has to be moved by 9 when it becomes permit holders breakfast time is limited. Won't stay here again or recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled solo
2  Thank 699Mac

Reviewed 19 October 2014 via mobile

Very welcoming and friendly owner, in fact made our stay. Decor dated but pretty well kept. Had a great nights sleep. Breakfast hour was a bit early for us but was a fine breakfast. Parking was difficult but Inverness isn't great for parking anyway.

Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2014

Location was great. Parking is very difficult. You can't check in until 4:30pm. Room was ok but really overpriced for what is was. We have stayed in many B&B's and feel that for what it was it should have been much lower price that is why I scored it poor rather than average. Breakfast was not great, we couldn't drink the coffee it was so bad and Kenny did not ask how we wanted our eggs. Lots of signs through out the B&B telling you what you could or could not do. Cleanliness was marginal. If you get a good price I would still not rule it out.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 September 2014

I loved staying at Kenny's bnb. It was a genuine experience. I loved his sense of humor. The rooms were just enough space and the breakfast was great. All the toast one could ever need. His dog Robbie was hilarious. I felt like we had a wonderful experience. I highly recommend it. The location was great. Just a moments walk from the central area. The shower was great pressure which was nice after a busy day of being in a car. Thanks again to Kenny for a memorable stay.

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 16 July 2014

It was a really good experience. The building and rooms are very cozy and comfortable.
We were very welcome by Kenny, who was very nice with us.

The hotel is near the city center, like 10 minutes walking max and on the way you have plenty of restaurants and pubs. You also have supermarkets quite close in case you need to get something that you forgot! but the area is quiet, what's appreciated

Highly recommended!