“PLEASE read this and save yourself from the WORST stay at a B&B ever!”
Review of Melrose Villa

Melrose Villa
Ranked #216 of 234 Inverness B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 June 2015

I've stayed in lots of hotels and B&Bs in Inverness over the years and I was really shocked at the disgraceful standard of the Melrose Villa.
First of all, you cannot check in until 4.30pm which is completely unrealistic. I couldn't even drop my bags off. When you arrive at the dingy 80s decorated B&B there's a sign at reception telling you you'll be charged an extra £20 if you check out after 10am and breakfast is only served from 8am - 9am. This B&B is purely set up to suit the owner and in no way is it geared towards the residents' experience.
Breakfast was poor and everything felt very unclean. There were some Japanese and German guests eating breakfast while I was there and I was sorely tempted to tell them that this B&B was NOT representative of others in Inverness. What a shame for visitors to Scotland having to experience this.
While all of the above would have warranted a bad review, it was when I stepped into my bedroom that the real horror hit me. Filth is first word that springs to mind and it was everywhere. The room I stayed in (Room 3) was clearly never cleaned properly in years. Everything felt really dirty. Weirdly, there was a whiskey decanter filled with water on the dressing table but looking at the layer of dust on the bottle I would guess that water was around 6 months old.
Looking for a hairdryer (I didn't!) I pulled the drawer of the dresser only to find it come away in my hand and behind it was disgusting dirt and filth.
I was booked in for two nights and while the room was already paid for, I immediately went online looking for other accommodation but nothing was available.
After SLEEPING IN MY CLOTHES, the next day I showered and before I left I put the both the hand and bath towels in the shower tray (as I been told housekeepers prefer) for the housekeeper to take away and replenish. When I arrived back at the end of the day for my second miserable night, the dirty towels had been picked up off the shower tray and slung over the radiator for me to use again!!
I cannot stress this enough - this is the worse place I've ever stayed. PLEASE save your money and go elsewhere. Even a hostel would be better. I hope this helps.

Room Tip: Very noisy rooms to the front but to be honest just go elsewhere - the B&B is horrendous!
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled on business
12  Thank Hebrideangirl

Reviewed 28 May 2015 via mobile

Only stayed for one night, had booked two rooms. On arrival the owner Kenny made the rules very clear, on no we thought, but we were wrong the place is old style decor but nice. The bed was cosy, the room was clean, the breakfast was very good and Kenny couldnt do enough for you. Close to town centre would return and recommend. Well done

Stayed: May 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank nerja2502
Reviewed 28 April 2015

I stayed at the Melrose Villa whilst in Inverness for business over a weekend. The en-suite room we stayed in was a good size, clean, very warm (which was fantastic, as it was snowing during our time in Inverness) and well stocked with water, tea, coffee, milk, sugar etc. The bathroom was spacious, had everything we required and the shower was nice and powerful. Towels were always fresh and plentiful.

I advised Kenny that I needed to leave early in the morning and he told me he would lay out a buffet for me so that I could get something before I went out. Unfortunately, due to my work commitments, I wasn't able to sample the breakfast, though my partner had a cooked breakfast and told me it was beautiful. Furthermore, Kenny was aware that I had left early and told my partner that he could arrange for her to sit with someone at breakfast so she didn't have to sit alone. These were the first of a number occasions on which Kenny was extremely helpful and considerate of our needs.

My partner was unfortunately ill during our stay (an illness she brought with her, not one that had come on during her stay) and Kenny couldn't do enough to help us. He provided us with extra towels, a sick bowl, offered to prepare us both food and was considerate when I asked for a late check-out time.

Sadly, I didn't get to do much exploring of Inverness, but there were shops conveniently located nearby (Spar and Tesco both a couple of minutes walk away) and bars, restaurants and shops within easy walking distance, so the location is ideal.

Kenny, I'm sorry I didn't catch you before I left, but if you're reading this then thank you for all of your help and a lovely stay.

I hope to be back to see you soon.

Mr Smith

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 April 2015

Inverness is notorious for expensive accommodation. It's very difficult to find somewhere affordable to stay and this place is clearly exploiting that fact by offering sub standard accommodation, safe in the knowledge that people will continue to pay more than it's worth. It angers me that places like this stay in business not because they offer a great service but because they have few other options.

My room had three beds and three chairs crammed into it, meaning I had very little room to move around. The two other beds weren't even made, they just had all the bedding piled on them, which didn't look inviting and made me feel like I was paying £50 to stay in someone's spare room for the night and that they were doing me a favour for letting me do so.

Aesthetics aren't a strong point of this place though - everything is well past it's best, and not in a trendy vintage shabby chic kind of way. Everything was old and tatty, especially the mattress, which I could feel every spring off. Then their was the stained bedding, broken lock, a used bar of soap at the sink and the fact that the windows were open when I arrived so the room was freezing.

The shared WC had a think layer of dirt all around the edges of the carpet and on the skirting and a lamp in the stair well was so think in cobwebs it looked like it was decorated for Halloween!

The breakfast wasn't as bad as I had expected but you can only have cereals or a cooked breakfast, not both, like in anywhere else I've stayed.

I think it's funny that they have a TripAdvisor sticker in their front window as they have more terrible reviews than any other ranking, but people mistaken it as a sign of something good unfortunately. Hopefully you'll read this review before you get that far though.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled on business
5  Thank Ruth C
Reviewed 22 April 2015 via mobile

My Stay at Melrose Villa was a lovely one. It's a cosy place. Very comfortable bed and sumptuous duvet! Kenny the proprietor can't do enough for your stay to be comfortable. The food is lovely and can't fault the choice available. A previous review complained about the rules everywhere but each room has to display them like no smoking policy as that's the law.
I highly recommend staying here as I will do again.

Stayed: April 2015