“Great wee break away”

Royal Highland Hotel
Ranked #18 of 36 Hotels in Inverness

Great wee break away :-)
On arrival , Louise the receptionist couldn't have been more helpful , from giving us directions to nearby attractions to making sure we were happy with our room and had all we needed. A big thank you must also be given to Gail Rose , you are an asset to the hotel ! So friendly and nothing was a bother
Rooms were as expected , they don't advertise being 5 star so don't expect it so

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
RoyalHighlandHotel, Front Office Manager at Royal Highland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2017

Thank you we have passed comments to the Team

Write a ReviewReviews (1,956)

Reviewed 13 November 2017

Stayed here with my wife for two nights on the 10th and 11th November the Room was very clean and cosy. Most of the staff were great and really helpful there was a girl called Louise on reception who was really helpful and made sure we had everything we needed ,On arrival we received vouchers for a two course meal for two in the restaurant a free bottle of house wine and a high Tea for two which made the stay really good value for money. The food in the Ash restaurant was really good and the buffet breakfast was great . We will definitely stay here again .

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments we have passed this onto the team

Reviewed 13 November 2017

Good location with some parking spaces. The lobby was beautiful, our room was nice too. We just had to get the staff to join our beds, as we booked a double but they only had two singles. The service was poor, they were not very friendly and seemed disgruntled that I wanted to sleep in the same bed as my husband.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments, we have rooms with zip and link beds which form King size and where room type has not been specified on booking we are able to join to make a double when required, and a member of the team will do so on request.
We are glad you enjoyed our location and facilities.

Reviewed 12 November 2017

We returned to the Royal Highland hotel as a second family break together after out last visit of 20 months. We enjoyed our first visit so much we didnt think we could have as great a time or better time as the first but we had another great 4nights at the hotel we fell in love with on our first visit in 20 months. We arrived at 10 am and new we couldn't check in until after 2 p.m. There was a free parking space in front of the hotel which I parked in and went into the hotel to ask the receptionist even though we couldn't check in yet was it ok to park my car and come back later to check in. The receptionist told us yes we could park there and it was no problem. I explained we would come back later and was told not until 2.30 at least.
The hotel is in the centre of the town and shops are all within a few minutes walk so we found plenty to do to pass the time until check in.

We returned at approx 2-00 pm because it was getting quite cold outdoors so we sat in the lobby as the receptionist did the paperwork as soon as we arrived at 2.00 p.m so all we were waiting for was the room key which we received around 2-40. On going up to our rooms we found that they had given us the same 2 rooms we had on our previous visit. so we unpacked and stayed in thr room until it was time for us to go and eat dinner in the town.
Can I just explain that my wife and family love old hotels like the Royal Highland because of their architecture and grandeur this hotel has so much of that and no matter what other people say about modernization I hate plastic and Formica hotels and like then to keep their character. The Royal Highland have the old wooden sash windows and I would hate them to spoil this by putting in PVC windows it spoils the character of a vintage place like the Royal Highland. The room was lovely and warm and the beds comfortable and the standard of cleanliness is excellent. We also had many amenities in the room all together in a big box by the kettle. This consisted of Coffee many varieties of tea. Drinking chocolate a packet of biscuits. Also 2 bottle of water one sparkling and one still both in GLASS bottles they even put in 3 Worthers sweets. May I add that we used everything everyday except the tea and surprisingly the room staff replaced everything everyday. I have stayed at many hotels where this never happens once its used and usually you have to go to reception and ask for coffee and milk or else go out and buy it . We found this exactly the same when we first stayed. We had the breakfast each day which was excellent and another reason we came back here again. The choice was very high and it was help yourself so we didnt have to eat at lunchtime because we had a great breakfast each morning before we left for the day.

On our first visit one of the other things that made us want to return was the friendliness of the staff and we were so surprised whilst sat in the lobby one of the staff Gale rose saw us waiting and came over and asked how we were doing and how nice it was to see us again. I was very impressed that she even remembered us from 20 months ago with all the people who must go through there every week.. Every morning in the breakfast room she took the time to come over and chat to us for a few minutes and I think that lady is one valuable asset to the hotel. Our first visit was a pleasant visit thanks to the friendliness of this lady to us. My son asked for this as his Christmas present so I booked it for him and ourselves.

The Royal Highland is one of the nicest hotels I have visited in my quest for good old classic buildings and that staircase in the lobby is a lovely thing to see on checking in. We loved to have coffee in the lobby on the lovely comfortable furniture and so relaxing to just sit and watch the world go by in a very relaxing environment.
Am afraid people who think they should install plastic windows dont appreciate the hotel how it was and in my opinion how it should stay. On top of that yes its next to the station as was my room but I wasnt kept awake by any noise as some people state on two visits. I have written to the manager to tell him how enjoyable our second stay was and how we cant all wait to go back again for another visit and hope we can have a full week next time as its a 360 mile each way journey by car but it was well worth it. Again I am looking forward to another visit its perfect for us

Room Tip: We had room 220 and 221 both occasions not got great views but theyre nice rooms and quiet and warm
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank jim m

Thank you for your kind words, we have a longstanding team who like to offer a personal touch and we look forward to welcoming you back again

Reviewed 10 November 2017 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights via a Groupon deal. This was a trip for my birthday. The hotel has bags of character and the foyer as you enter is very grand, in particular, the staircase. We were given a free upgrade to a suite, which was lovely. The decor was a little tired and dated but the room was clean, bed nice and comfy and the shower provided excellent water pressure. The bathroom was built into the eves of the building, which made the ceiling a little precarious to navigate when using the toilet. The breakfast buffet was excellent offering a wide variety of items. The Maître d lady was very accommodating, providing us with a lovely table and myself with a small cake with a candle, which was a very touching gesture. We had a very pleasant stay.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments, we always like to identify special occasions and try to upgrade rooms where possible as well as your wee birthday cake surprise !
We are glad you enjoyed your stay