“Fantastic hotel, TERRIBLE food.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kingsmills Hotel

Kingsmills Hotel
Ranked #8 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Fantastic hotel, TERRIBLE food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

I can not recommend the Kingsmill Hotel enough, beautiful inside and out, rooms are lovely and spotlessly clean. The staff are also fantastic - friendly, chatty and helpful. I love staying at this hotel and always have a great room, have stayed a few times in different rooms and they're all fantastic. Would stay here any time!

I wouldn't however recommend that any one choose to dine in the restaurant. The restaurant itself is lovely and comfortable and the waitresses so lovely, the food unfortunately was no where near the standard I would expect of a 4 star hotel. The starter I had was totally average but edible, my main on the other hand, I couldn't even eat. I ordered the trio of fish and what I got was three overcooked, tasteless, grey lumps of fish with some melted butter. Coming from an island I am used to eating and cooking with fresh fish and wouldn't be surprised to find out what I got in the Inglis restaurant came from the bottom of the freezer. I told the waitress and she said she'd tell the chef but nothing was done about it and the dish still appeared on our bill. I did have a pudding though and the sticky toffee pudding was lovely, I'm not sure if it's a different chef or if the chef is just better at desserts!

BUT I would return to the Kingmills, it is still my hotel of choice in Inverness and would happily stay any time, next time I'll be going in town for my dinner though!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Fir12345
CraigEwan_8, General Manager at Kingsmills Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to write a review on our hotel. I am glad that you found the hotel very comfortable and you were looked after very well by our associates. I was very disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your main course in our restaurant. I will be discussing this with our Chef today as a matter of urgency as this is totally out of character. I personally did the tasting of the trio of fish before it was put on the a la carte menu and the dish was beautiful, fresh and very clean flavors. The chef buys in fish fresh five times a week and I can assure you the dish you ordered did not come from the freezer. Our fish comes from different local suppliers including Cromarty, Skye and Hopeman. I accept that the cooking of your main course must have been overcooked and I apologise for this. I would appreciate it if you would make contact with me personally before your next stay. I look forward to welcoming you back to Kingsmills hotel.

Craig Ewan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
edinburgh
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

Stayed for three nights b&b. Agree with previous review, reception staff friendly but room and bathroom desperately needs refurbed.

Room Tip: upgrade to club room or stay away!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank gordon12
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your guest feedback. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and were well looked after by our team of highly motivated associates. Our standard rooms of which there are 20 out of 114 rooms in total at Kingsmills. These rooms are due to be fully refurbished later this year. The rooms are comfortable with beds being replaced recently and they are very clean and fully serviced. However I do agree the decore does require up dating.

At Kingsmills we have five room types. The entry level is the "standard rooms" (garden rooms) then there are "classic rooms", then "deluxe rooms". In addition to this we have another two levels of room types within our Kingsclub; "cacoon rooms" and our top level rooms are "retreat rooms".

Thank you for your feedback. On your next stay, try one of our other room types.

SOOTTISH BORDERS
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

Spent two nights and was satisfied with the service. The television was not good, but was replaced on request.
Had meal on first night with mixed reviews, mine was good, with my wife complaining that the meal had poor sauce with meat being very average.
The hotel is not a four star, I had stayed years ago when it was newer, needs a bit of upgrading nowadays.
Overall a decent hotel in a nice location

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
CraigEwan_8, General Manager at Kingsmills Hotel, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay at the hotel overall. I was also glad to hear that whilst you had an issue with your TV, the problem was quickly resolved when you reported it. I was disappointed to read that your wife did not rate the meat and the sauce, I will address this with Chef.

We are continually refurbishing and investing back into the hotel. I was sorry to read that you felt your room was tired. The standard / garden rooms are due to be completely refurbished later this year.

Thank you for your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back to Kingsmills.

Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

passing through and spent one night in room 105 which was lovely. The room was very spacious with a huge comfortable bed, seperate sitting area, fridge and jacuzzi bath with seperate shower. Breakfast and leisure facilities are first class. We'll definately be back sometime.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CraigEwan_8, General Manager at Kingsmills Hotel, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to write a guest review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and found our associates very friendly and very efficient.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Kingsmills Hotel.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

Me, my wife and our 3 month old baby stayed at the Kingsmills Hotel for two nights. We had a fantastic time. The level of service the hotel provides is among the best I have experienced - a special mention to the staff at reception, the concierge and the staff in the Conservatory and Lounge restaurant for being extra accommodating and incredibly nice! Great facilities, great rooms - we can't wait to go back and strongly recommend the Kingsmills to all.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for guest feedback. I was delighted to read your review and see you had a fantastic stay in room 105. Room 105 is one of our deluxe rooms in the original house, it has a very large bed and bathroom with Jacuzzi bath. I am also glad that you enjoyed the rest of our facilities and were wow'ed by our fantastic associates.

I look forward to welcoming you back at Kingsmills Hotel.