“This place makes it difficult to eat anywhere else in Inverness.”

Mustard Seed Restaurant
Ranked #23 of 281 Restaurants in Inverness
Price range: US$55 - US$55
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Open since 1995, the simple cooking and warm, friendly atmosphere has allowed The Mustard Seed to become one of Inverness’s favourite restaurants. The Location on the banks of the River Ness in a converted church building is simply stunning and helps create the wonderful ambience. The transformation from disused church to restaurant created a unique space; with a double-height ceiling and magnificent open log fire. Many of the original period features were retained and combined with a mix of natural and modern finishes. The addition of the terrace on the top floor allows alfresco dining and uninterrupted views of the River, another amazing asset for the restaurant.
Reviewed 15 November 2016

As the title says, this restaurant has ruined eating out for me. Everywhere I go I end up thinking, but the Mustard Seed would have done that better and for less money. At its worst I get a good to average meal and at best it is exceptional and great value for money.

It is important to book, even for a weekday lunch it's worth booking ahead. It can become very busy and it's such a disappointment when you have to go elsewhere.

We went for our wedding anniversary, but decided to take the kids with us for lunch as they also love it. The kids menu is good and the activities on it keep them occupied for a while as they wait for the food to arrive.

The staff are friendly and more than happy to answer questions and help make sure your meal is perfect.

The menu normally has a good range with several options that leave you having to decide which one you want most. Don't even get me started on how difficult a choice the desserts menu can be.

It didn't take long for our drinks to arrive and it was then a short wait for the starters. The food was lovely and a good size for starters. Once finished the plates were cleared and we sat chatting. The atmosphere is great, it's busy but not crowded and there's usually a lovely buzz from happy people all around you.

After a nice gap the mains arrived. For lunch I nearly always pay the small surcharge and go for the steak. I expect it to be tiny for the price you're paying, but it never is. I'm fussy when it comes to steak, I don't want sauce or a lot of pepper on it and only ever have it bleu. It was stunning, as were the other dishes.

Dessert is a problem, usually the selection will have three options that leave you unable to decide. Then there's the negotiations with others to convince them to try something you want so you can have a little of theirs as well. When the puddings arrived we all tucked in and the kids ended up helping us out. The sundae I had was massive and tasted incredible with a lovely mix of flavours.

Even though the place is busy you never feel rushed or hassled and we had a lovely meal. The value for money is incredible and has made this restaurant the favourite place to eat for the entire family.

2  Thank Agric
Write a ReviewReviews (3,819)

Reviewed 14 November 2016 via mobile

A great, unconventional menu, quick service and cosy atmosphere. Visited for lunch a couple of weeks back. The tomato soup was divine and the bruschetta was great, would definitely eat here again. Really reasonably priced too.

1  Thank happytraveller1211
Reviewed 14 November 2016

Food and service were very good, especially the partners duck, which was much better than my venison.

1  Thank Gary R
Reviewed 14 November 2016

We had lunch here recently, it was very busy so that was a good sign, but whether it was because they were so busy that it took over an hour from ordering and getting our main courses I don't know. The food was very good though so it's definitely worth a visit.

1  Thank FamilyOfBears
Reviewed 13 November 2016 via mobile

Had a wonderful lunch here with family. The starter of black pudding was very good and followed it with a lovely steak. Others had the roast dinner which was lamb and also super. Would definitely recommend.

1  Thank brpegar