“Promising but....”

The Abstract
Price range: US$33 - US$66
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Nestled on the banks of the River Ness within the Glen Moriston Hotel, Abstract Inverness is a stylish bar and restaurant recently dubbed a ���rising star��� by the Michelin Guide. Head Chef Geoffrey Malmedy specializes in modern French cuisine using locally sourced Scottish ingredients wherever possible. Popular dishes include Black Isle beef fillet with oxtail; Scottish halibut with vanilla and chervil; and hot strawberry souffl��. The chic piano bar boasts a huge list of malt whiskies, a wide selection of cocktails and an extensive international wine list. Abstract was the first restaurant in Scotland to introduce a chef's table. Situated in the kitchen, it offers a unique opportunity for diners to enjoy a stunning tasting menu whilst watching the team at work.
Reviewed 3 March 2016 via mobile

I stay here every few months. One night or two (varies). And eat here. They remember at Reception and in the lovely cocktail bar but never in the Restaurant. Don't get me wrong. Inverness benefits from good local ingredients and this place mostly gets them right. But there is a "can't be assed, high season is on the way" feel about the offer. My starter was lovely. You need to work hard muffing fresh Scottish scallops. These were just right tho why the accompanying black pudding was cut as if they were truffles Gawd (and our chef) only knows. A tiny pot of mash accompanied my two noisettes of very lovely loin of venison. The red cabbage was competent. Add some juniper berries and it might have flown. No other veg. £25. In Inverness. On a Thursday night in Inverness. I jokingly remarked the chef might want to know the customer was a Scottish guy not a model. Stoney silence. So, lovely venison but I am not a pig yet after scallops and venison I am still hungry . So, with 7 other diners in the room, I ask if there is any chance the rather nice sounding tarte tatin for 2 might be more modest for one? My lovely, attentive waitress goes to ask. Yup, you guessed. Why ever would you want to placate the hungry guest that pointed out two noisettes at £25 plus extra for veg likely was 2 noisettes short? So, yeah, I just ordered coffee and no dessert. No one bothered. At the end of a good meal I felt disgruntled not cherished. Abstract needs to get more concrete and look after its clients. Riva and Rocpool are a 5 mins walk.

1  Thank ARDNAHOE

Reviewed 28 January 2016

We ate here when staying for 3 nights,in Inverness in a,neighbouring hotel. The food was,really tasty with an excellent choice on the menu. Very nice waiting staff and a lovely atmosphere with attractive contemporary furnishings.

Reviewed 17 December 2015

I have thoroughly enjoy two visit recently to Abstract in Inverness, the first was on a Sunday before going to the theatre with family when we enjoyed a delicious Sunday roast, at £12.95 for two courses it far surpassed my expectations. My second visit was with a couple of pals and we decided to go with the 3 course menu at £15.95, again fantastic value for money and the creme brulee for desert was absolutely delicious. The service couldn't be faulted, I'm trying to find an excuse to go back again very soon!

1  Thank grannyval2015
Reviewed 20 August 2015

A small, modern restaurant on the ground floor of a small hotel on the river Ness, close to the centre of Inverness.

The quality of the food was the best we had on our tour of the U.K. (including Gordon Ramsay's Maze).

The room is subdued, elegant and fairly warm.

The service, on the other hand, suffered in the way that all restaurants do when they divide tasks among 4 or 5 people for each table. No one will be responsible and some of your table-mates will be served while others will wait.

2  Thank Ian M
Reviewed 20 July 2015

We recently had our wedding reception at the Abstract Restaurant.
The meal was beautiful, and the service excellent; all of the staff could not do enough for us and made us feel like Royalty. The cocktails were lovely and served with a smile. We would like to say a big thank you to Ben for organising everything for us and making sure it all went well on the day; to Chef for the lovely meal; to the waiting staff for their excellent service and the bar staff for our lovely cocktails and drinks. We could not have had a better evening and we will be back.

6  Thank Jackie M