“Fantastic”

The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Pitlochry
Reviewed 3 July 2016 via mobile

My partner and I have just had a fantastic overnight stay, room 4,, the room was huge clean bright and nxt to the pool spa which was great,the staff were first class and the food and service was fabulous, highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2016

Hi, thanks for the post and the wonderful title of it. We are all delighted you enjoyed yourself and the staff are thrilled you have complimented them.
hope to see you again at some point.

Reviewed 22 June 2016

On arrival we were told room not ready sit over there. No welcome. The room was not clean, carpets filthy, thick dust on all skirting boards and could hardly see out of windows, only good thing was bed linen and towels clean otherwise we would have left. Staff mostly new untrained and foreign with no English. Food on first night OK, thought we would try ala carte next night. BIG MISTAKE. Steak fatty and full of gristle, dessert inedible. On complaining head waiter very rude. The Hotel needs complete refurbishment, all areas lacked in cleanliness. Will not be back.

Stayed: June 2016
2  Thank annemcfarlane1
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2016

Hi, it is extremely rare to record just one star and it is never pleasant to read such a severe review of us all. I can assure you that we all work very hard to ensure customers leave with a view to returning at some point. I realise we have failed as far as your stay was concerned and your comments will certainly be taken on board and discussed at our forthcoming meeting.
Despite the content all comments are welcome and thanks for pointing out a couple of shortcomings we can do something about.

Reviewed 19 June 2016 via mobile

I went to recharge my batteries and not quite sure how I ended up here . I found it very tranquil and some some of the time I had the spa area to myself . I can only give the dinner 7/10 as it was a bit canteen style and a paper napkin. I am sure the al a carte would gleam a better score . Also I got no roll and everyone else seamed to get one. The breakfast was much better - although no mushrooms.
There was limited outside seating- I didn't want to be inside on such a nice day / evening and had to leave hotel grounds ( small but lovely) to try to find somewhere to sit.
My room was quite and did not hear any noise from evening entertainment .
Room was good and lots of lovely hot water- overall an enjoyable experience

Stayed: June 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank Barbara K
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2016

Hi, thanks for taking the time to post a nice review, it is very much appreciated. I agree with you, we are a perfect place to recharge and unwind and I am pleased to read you enjoyed our Leisure Club.
Hopefully you will try us again next time you are in need of a break and we could provide another enjoyable experience.
Thanks again.

Reviewed 16 June 2016

There was nothing terrible or bad enough in itself to complain about individually but there were a lot of small things that should have been done better. I don't have ridiculously high standards and almost always write positive reviews so will try and give a balanced view.

Good things first:
Reception and bar staff very nice and super helpful
Superior room was lovely
Bed and pillows were really comfy
Heater in room made temperature comfortable and easily controllable
Drinks prices were OK for a hotel
Leisure facilities were good
Pitlochry is a lovely location
Entertainment on 1 night (Scottish and country music not to my taste but most seemed to enjoy it)
Food served really quickly (this is in bad things too!)
Breakfast was good, decent choice of cereals and hot food
When I asked for dinner on 2nd night to be a bit hotter they obliged

Bad things
Food was served really quickly - must have been sitting out on plates, no gap at all between courses and on first night my food was luke warm (my husbands was fine)
The starter we chose (cheese and red onion tartlet) was not available so they brought a very different substitute jalapeño poppers (out of the freezer) - no option offered to pick something else
People were made to wait outside restaurant despite 10+ tables being free and set; they could have seated people and told them there would be a delay to taking orders or food arriving
Empty wine bottle and glasses from preordered welcome tray not cleared by cleaner nor was towels folded or shortbread on tea tray topped up
Water pressure in shower not great and temperature dropped every couple of minutes

We still enjoyed our time in Pitlochry and did not let all the minor issues spoil our break, we just wouldn't go back to this hotel. The hotel was full of people on bus tours and some seemed to be having a great time, other were less amused. Probably because we were celebrating our first wedding anniversary and paid extra for upgraded room, if felt like a poorer hotel than expected for the price. If you get a great deal on b&b it might be worth it.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Amanda R
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2016

Hi, I appreciate the positives and take on board the critique. I must say though that the way we run dinner is without question the best way. We have played around with a number of formulas and different ideas and managing numbers is the most effective way. Bringing in customers early, simply to sit, would confuse the team.
Apologies there were a couple of shortcomings but I am glad you were comfortable and you liked the service.

Reviewed 13 June 2016

We recently stayed here while we were on a Shearings coach trip and I have ticked average but I would have said good but there is nothing between average and very good. The room was very comfortable with a table and 2 chairs to sit at in the window. But it was by the door from the lift and I never understand why people having spent all evening together then stand and chat, often quite loudly at late hours. Form what we saw and heard there had been staffing problems and new staff were being trained so breakfast the first morning was a bit disjointed. However after that they changed it too a buffet style which worked much better. There is a set menu with 3 choices for each course or you can pick off the al la carte menu with a discount. We did this one night for a change but all the food was well cooked and presented. We liked the fact you could collect your coffee afterwards and sit in the very comfortable lounge areas or outside as we did several evenings. There is a very nice indoor pool with other leisure facilities but we only used the pool a relaxing way to finish the day. This hotel is at the top of quite a steep hill and is either a long walk down or you need to be a mountain goat to take the short cut. So if you have difficulty walking this may not be the hotel for you although we did see some people getting taxis up and down from the hotel.. We enjoyed our stay here and as we were on holiday we took everything n our stride. Some areas of the hotel do need some attention but generally we were very comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2016

Hi there, och I have to say we are disappointed we couldn't squeeze that extra star from you but it is pleasing to read that all was well and you enjoyed your break.
Maybe next time !