1,093 results
All reviews self drive shearings hotels scenic view shearings holiday dining room leisure facilities jacuzzi and sauna folk singer a la carte menu coach driver superior room evening entertainment half board restaurant manager meal times coach party set menu
Reviewed 14 October 2017

I have just returned from a five day break with shearings at the hydro with my parents, this was our second visit and we were very disappointed compared with the last visit. There was less choice on the menus no chefs special and no tea and coffee included which we have had in every other shearings hotel we have stayed in. The dining room and communal areas were cold with no heating on and when commented on to the head waiter we were made to feel that we shouldn't be commenting, when we weren't the only ones. My parents had a nice double room that had recently refurbished. Whereas I despite paying extra single supplement, my room was poor compared to last time. The bathroom door wouldn't stay shut the shower only trickled and didn't stay warm. There were cobwebs in the room and a mouldy smell from the bathroom which I couldn't shut out as the door wouldn't shut! I put towels in the bath to be replaced and they weren't only removed, I shouldn't have to ask at reception for this to be done. The standard of cleaning has certainly gone downhill since last time. There seems to be a lot of cutbacks and the customer is getting a bad deal compared to 2 years ago when it was a lot better. It would have been nice to have evening entertainment other than the maintenance man doing his very good demonstration and talk on Scottish clan history, and the head waiter doing a quiz, more money saving it seemed. We were not the only people unhappy with these areas on our bus so maybe areas to look into and for shearings as well who sent us with a driver who had never done the trip and didn't know the area.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank rachaelcollins24
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2017

Hi, thanks for the fair score considering you were disappointed about some of the recent changes we have made.
There are so many positives that have been introduced recently too even though you feel things are being taken away. It is down to change and reacting to customer feedback that has encouraged re thinking how we do things and I hope you continue to try us whilst that process establishes itself.
Best Regards

Reviewed 12 October 2017 via mobile

£150 for a family room (double and a bunk bed) midweek, one night. Felt a bit like a youth hostel! Wonky floors and mouldy/rusty grouting and fittings in the bathroom followed by a poor quality breakfast. Just was not worth the money and next year we will staying in a bed and breakfast where food is freshly cooked and attention to detail far more personal to the staff.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank supershoes
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2017

Hi, sorry you didn't feel you got good value. I can promise you that the prices charged are consistent with the time of year. October is a very busy month here in Pitlochry and all accommodation in the area is at a premium.
We have benefits that a guest house doesn't and vice versa.

Reviewed 12 October 2017 via mobile

Lovely picturesque hotel over looking Pitlochry. Shame about the food, we stayed half board..........breakfast was of a good quality but evening meals where extremely disappointing. Very small portions and poor quality. We've stayed at derwent water hotel and the food was far better quality. Staff had little understanding as most of them spoke very little English.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Hi, food is something we are generally applauded for and I'm sorry that it hasn't met your expectations. We have a number of new staff, lots of the summer team have returned home for university, and a new crop have arrived. It wont be long before they are settled and functioning well in their new environment.
In the meantime I hope you try us again.

Reviewed 7 October 2017 via mobile

Originally booked for 1 night stay with booking.com, decided to extend 2 months in advance of arrival,directly with hotel not booking.com, also asked for breakfast to be added.
Arrived at hotel on Saturday to be told I had a 1 night stay with no breakfast but helpful receptionist sorted it all out explaining, girl who took your reservation change, doesn't really know the system! We're sorry for this & will add your breakfast at no extra cost.
We went up to the room, first glances, everything was fine..... until you went into the bathroom. I have attached pictures of what I can only call a spider's heaven as I've never seen so many dead bugs in a web that covered the window. All hidden behind a filthy pulled down blind. Paint was literally falling off the window, inside & out. A metal spike of some sort coming through the carpet wasn't the nicest of experiences barefoot either. The bathroom door off the hinge that wouldn't close - not great!!
I went down to reception to ask who I speak to about the room. A very helpful lady then came to room with me, agreed that it was filthy and in severe need of repair. She brought a housekeeper in & showed her what she wanted done. We returned to the room later, yes the spiders remains were gone but the "dust bunnies" remained everywhere else. Slime marks on tiles from previous guests did not encourage me to shower & the dust on surrounding tiles leave me to believe, it's been a while since anyone else did.
Came down in morning for breakfast to be told that it was additional charge to have breakfast, I went to reception (Again) asked what was going on, to be told, here is your booking, why so much complaining, why should we give you anything for free? Great customer service Pitlochry Hydro!!
Oh and 1 final thing, don't go swimming unless you have a wet suit, pool is freezing

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Kaz the jambo w
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2017

Hi, I have spoken to the team who do not see this quite the way you do. An oversight or two on our part and an exaggeration on yours it seems.
The bottom line is you were unhappy and that is the last thing we want for any customer and we will continue to ensure that this is the exception rather than the rule.

Reviewed 4 October 2017 via mobile

I had high hopes after seeing the exterior of the hotel and the lobby was quite nice but then my room as a big anti climax. I paid £113 for a double mountain view. My mountain view was a view of the car park and trees with mountains peaking through behind them. The double bed was no larger than my standard at home which is no use when you are looking forward to a night away with your 6ft 3 other half. Bathroom was as basic as it comes. Cracks in the tiles and toilet so close to the wall you barely fit on it. Not to add the thin toilet roll! When I tried to phone to reception for an iron the bedroom phone was not working. I like to watch TV as I'm getting ready for dinner but the TV was so small and with only about 5 channels.
On departing they had added 2 breakfasts on to our checkout at a cost of over £50 which we did not have! How on earth they can charge so much for poor rooms I don't know.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Natalie K
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2017

Hi, I've just spent the morning saying goodbye to satisfied guests after satisfied guests and I apologise that we cannot include you in that number.
The rates are competitive within the town and therefore do represent good value and I am sorry you do not feel that way. Apologies too for billing you for something we shouldn't have....we had been given incorrect information.
In conclusion we work very hard to avoid one star reviews and will continue to do so.
Best Regards