“This is no Four Seasons !!!”
Review of The Merrion Hotel

The Merrion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 18 March 2012

The Four Seasons was fully booked so I thought this would be comparable. It wasn't even close. The doorman was great so it all started fine. Our bags were sent straight up another plus. The hotel and rooms are tired and need refreshing. The lobby and salon carpets are so tattered and stained you can't even make out if they had a pattern at one time. We met up with family and had cocktails in our room. I had just bought some newgrange martini glasses and made the drinks myself. We went for dinner downstairs in the Cellar restaurant which was great. Came back late and tired so we just went to bed. The blanket was so thin it really was just a sheet and the bed was uncomfortable. We went sightseeing the next day and when we returned our room had been cleaned and my martini glasses gone. After numerous calls to housekeeping and finally management I was told they found my glasses but they had fallen off a tray and had all broken. Someone came to the room with an apology and a bottle of cheap champagne. They took the empty box and explained they would find replacements which they did the next day. They also let anyone reserve tables in the salons and bars so if you come back to your hotel and want to have a mid afternoon bite you can't because every seat and table is reseved. Aren't you supposed to take care of your guests first. I'm sorry when you stay at a hotel that is supposed to be five star things like this just shouldn't happen

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank rwagner999
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2012

Dear rwagner999,

Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to post your review on Tripadvisor.

I was so sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay and that the hotel did not live up to your expectation.

I am particularly sorry that we inadvertently removed your glasses from the bedroom and broke them but I am pleased that we were able to replace them quickly.

On a separate note, we were particularly pleased and delighted to read your very kind comments about the Cellar Restaurant in a separate review.

I hope your experience will not deter you from revisiting us at some point in the future when I assure you of our best attention and one of our newly refurbished bedrooms.

Yours sincerely

Peter MacCann

Write a ReviewReviews (3,528)

Reviewed 13 March 2012

My husband and I just had a brief one night stay here and we really enjoyed it. Contrary to the previous reviewer I found the receptionist very pleasant and helpful. The room was fine, nothing spectacular but overall we found the staff exceptionally pleasant and helpful and they were always willing to offer assistance. The staff were the best part of this hotel! One gripe I had was that I incurred an additional charge for eggs benedict at breakfast (which wasn't worth it!!) while my husband's full Irish breakfast looked much more appetising and was included in our B&B rate!! But that was just one very small complaint during what was overall, a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank FJNM

Dear FJNM,

I am writing to thank you very much for take the time to post such a lovely review about the Merrion on Tripadvisor recently.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the hotel so much and I note your comment about the breakfast surcharge and we will review this to see if there is a more efficient manner in which we can deal with this.

I hope we will have the privilege of welcoming you back to the hotel at some point in the future and to that end if I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me personally.

Kind regards

Reviewed 9 March 2012

When will hotels and hotel staff realise you need more than a decent location to equate to 5 stars?!?

Dirty, tired in desperate need of a good scrub and refurbishment, The Merrion Hotel is definitely not somewhere I would recommend to a friend.

Genuinely shocked by my other trip adviser member reviews of this hotel ( sincerely feel they may not be genuine)
Unfortunately the experience my husband and I had was not a positive one.

Reception staff were loud, rude and could not have been more unwelcoming.
We had the unfortunate experience of being checked in by Kye, awfully unfriendly and unpersonable for a front of house staff member.

I have to say though that this unwelcoming nature is certainly not representative of Ireland and Dublin specifically. I am irish myself and was in Dublin for a short stay, we were expecting a pleasant stay similar to what we have had in the Sherbourne Hotel or The Westbury Hotel.

So if you overlook the rude reception staff, the disappointment continues.
We booked a street view suite, and as one of their supposed 'better' rooms, I was disgusted to see how shabby and dirty it was!! The carpet looked like it had not been cleaned in weeks...perhaps ever!
The soft chairs had rips that would be impressive for an unsupervised Alsatian dog to make! Truly disgraceful for what claims to be a 5 star hotel. The comforter on the bed had better days if you know what I mean! A lot of discolouration in general to the soft furnishings.

The lift smelled like fish from the day we arrived to the day we departed-unsure why.

Breakfast, again disappointing. Hot breakfast was ironically-cold.

Unlike almost any other hotel in Dublin city, this hotel has No atmosphere at all. I guess the staf have something to do with creating a positive buzzy atmosphere in a hotel, and so this probably explains the lack of...
Only redeeming feature was the friendly porters and concierge. Unfortunately u really only come across them when leaving and arriving..... In between u have to pass the dreadfully unhappy and creepy reception staff.

Most importantly;
This hotel is Not a 5 star!
Don't be fooled, perhaps if you get a good deal then book it, as the location is good, not as good as the shelbourne and westbury but good if you get a deal, otherwise don't book it, you will be disappointed and regret it.

Room Tip: Book street view room, at least the street might detract from the dreadful dirty interiors! Also ma...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
33  Thank 321London
Reviewed 9 March 2012

This will be the 6th yearly treat to the Merrion. Last time we stayed we were upgraded to a suite as we were regular visitors. Wow.......overlooking the government buildings, we could watch for celebs driving up. (You almost always see at least 2 celebs here).
It's an absolute must for a special pampering. you really are looked after like royalty. Everyone is so friendly though. No pomp or ceremony at all. x

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Honesty P

Dear a w,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review you posted on Tripadvisor recently.

We were genuinely delighted to read how much you enjoyed the stay and in particular that you have done so over such a long period of time.

We too look forward to welcoming you back and if there is anything in particular we can do to help your next visit, please do not hesitate to contact me personally.

Reviewed 8 March 2012

Had a wonderful weekend in the Merrion Hotel on the 2nd & 3rd March 2012. The service & been made feel so special for the weekend will leave an everlasting memory of my stay in this unique hotel. Helene

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Helene M

Dear Helene M,

Thank you for the absolutely wonderful review that you posted on Tripadvisor after your recent stay with us. Everybody here was delighted to read how much you enjoyed the stay and comments as kind as yours make our job so much more worthwhile.

We all hope that we get to welcome you back for your 61st birthday if not before.