“Dated rooms, some in horrible locations”
Review of The Merrion Hotel

The Merrion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 9 January 2013

The common areas of the hotel are lovely. The art amazing. Gardens are beautiful. The rooms are dated. There is no light when you come in, only lamps. Turning them on is a chore and housekeeping turns them off. So at 5:00 in January you come into a dark room and have to find the lamps, the switches on the plugs, and then the lamp switches. The room has a 1980s stereo with a CD/cassette player, no way to play an MP3 player. The television is small and the remote doesn't work. There were also housekeeping issues- they did not remove dirty glasses and the turn down service did not arrive until after 21:30- unacceptable. The worst issue was the room location. Room was on the ground floor by a large gate. Curtains had to remain closed as I was looking directly into an Itsu, or something similar, and foot traffic was only a few feet away. The dark room was only made worse by this. The gate closing and opening was loud. The worst part was that the room had a horrible patchouli smell, I assume from a treatment room directly next door. I would not stay here again.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Stacie S
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2013

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay which I was of course very disappointed to read.

Clearly you did not enjoy your stay and encountered some shortcomings which I sincerely hope I can discuss with you personally. I would be most grateful if you would either contact me by phone here at the Hotel or by email on generalmanager@merrionhotel.com .

I hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 9 January 2013

Stayed here a while ago for my 40th birthday celebration and have to say it simply is a cut above. What i liked about it most is the fact that this hotel has all the class of a top hotel but without the pretentiousness. I found the staff to be very pleasant and more than helpful, the rooms were nice and in general I felt the whole experience was very relaxing and well worth the visit. Congrats to all.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us at The Merrion.

I have shared your wonderful comments with all the team here who join me in saying a “big thank you” also. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the Merrion so much, particularly as it was such a special occasion for you.

I hope we have the privilege of welcoming you back to stay with us again at some point in the future, perhaps on your next birthday!

Reviewed 8 January 2013

if the Merrion Hotel could be used as a model for other hotels , the bar for excellence would be raised.
These people are truly professional in every way, from the people at the front desk to the waitress in the cellar...they
alll aim for perfection.
Thank you Merrion hotel for making my business trip so totally enjoyable! I have to find out what pillows you use ...my night sleep eas amazing!!!!!
Thank you!
Montreal Canada

Room Tip: We loved the4 garden wing!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank FussyTraveller62

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the wonderful review posted recently and for taking the time to tell us of your experience with us.

I have already shared your kind words with the entire team here and they all join me in thanking you. I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again and that you have another memorable stay with us. I am particularly pleased you enjoyed your night’s sleep so much and please don’t hesitate to contact us directly so we can give you some information on our pillows.

Thank you again for your kind words.

Reviewed 8 January 2013

Sheets and blankets. Separate hot and cold taps. Slightly dated yellow decor. No central lighting control took 5 mins to turn off all lights. Small room. Mysterious disappearing cot. Beautiful looking but bland tasting afternoon tea.
I guess my expectations were high. Rated number one hotel in Dublin and some fabulous reviews on this very site. On the plus side i agree with everything said about the service - really superb and attentive. The reception rooms were wonderfully decorated warm and welvoming with some fabulous art. However the room was a big disappointment. Not big enough for a baby travel cot without removing the chairs. The decor felt really dated - classic i like - dated not. The bed ans sheets and blankets were aging. And the towels and robes were rock hard from a hundred different washes. Really in need of modernisation. Our travel cot arrived and then we popped out for the afternoon and by the time we had got back it had gone again. Booked two rooms for one of the nights of the stay as my parents were joining us. Thought reception would put us in rooms close together but sadly no such initiative deployed.... overall really disappointing. Will try rhe Shelbourne next time....

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Zurcher

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to speak with my colleague Garrett Power on the phone the other day and for your review.

Needless to say all of us here at The Merrion were disappointed to read your comments regarding your stay with us. While I was pleased to read your kind comments about the service, regarding other aspects of your stay we clearly did not meet our own standards and for that I am sorry. We are continually striving to improve on our guest experience and the amenities and services we offer and we appreciate your feedback.

I am confident that should we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again you will experience our usual standard of guest care and to that end please do not hesitate to contact either myself or Garrett personally so as we can make the necessary arrangements.

Reviewed 7 January 2013

Myself and my girlfriend stayed at the Merrion on a rare return to my home town, in early December. Having stayed in a few Dublin hotels previously, I was skeptical as to whether the experience would live up to the star rating. But it was quite simply perfect, from the warm welcome at the entrance to the fond farewell the next day. I admit that our getting upgraded to a Junior Suite had a major bearing on our excitement, but even putting that to one side, the entire experience was laced with a class, elegance and understatement that I was proud to find in Dublin, having seen too much glitz, pretentiousness and faux charm on recent trips home. The room was immaculate, the bed a delight, the service personable and genuinely empathetic, and the quality of the food superb.... the breakfast we had in our room was phenomenal and did not disappoint in any regard, which is something I haven't been able to say in other hotels. And our brief experience of the food in the cellar bar was positive. All in all, I cannot fault the hotel at all... ok, my girlfriend pointed out that the phone in the bathroom was a faded beige colour and carried the symbol of the now defunct Telecom Éireann... but really, that was like finding a blackhead on the face of the Mona Lisa. AND it was all so very affordable.... truly excellent value. Well done and thank you to the staff there. We can't wait to return.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bonnoir

Dear Guest,

I have already shared your kind words with the entire team here and they all join me in thanking you. I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you and your girlfriend back again.