“Don't get what all the fuss is about”
Review of The Merrion Hotel

The Merrion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 4 May 2016

I visited in August and greeted by 4 people behind the check-in desk (after wresting with the doorman for my bag). None of of the 4 had time to help me because they were too busy chatting. When they finally did check me in, I'm not sure if they were annoyed I interrupted them or what, but I booked a room overlooking the courtyard and instead I got a tiny room overlooking an alley way. The a/c didn't work and you couldn't open the window because someone could have literally stepped in the window from the alley. The room was tinyl and overcrowded with English country style furniture. When you pulled out the chair to sit at the desk, the chair was backed up to the bed. And you couldn't open the wardrobe while the chair was out from the desk. The bathroom was less than modern (and not the cleanest) and the water pressure was terrible. I went to the desk and said it wasn't what I had booked and wanted to change but they said they were booked out. The staff were far too numerous in the common areas, with nobody actually doing anything, and all acting judgmental. In the bar area on the main floor, there was a fire burning in the evening ... in August. Don't get me wrong, I adore a peat fire, but it was so unbearably hot that nobody could be in the place - everyone who did come in, left - so much for atmosphere. Perhaps I had the worst luck and got their closet room, and everyone was having a bad day, but it's to their loss. As some who travels to Dublin on business every couple of weeks, I will not select again or ever recommend the Merrion. The Westbury is far superior in every way imaginable.

Room Tip: Go to the Westbury
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled on business
6  Thank amiezil
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2016

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review following your stay with us last August.

As you will appreciate given the length of time which has passed since that stay and the general assertions you make in your review, it is somewhat difficult for me to follow up and investigate your feedback. If you would be so kind as to contact me directly by emailing me on generalmanager@merrionhotel.com, I would be pleased to assist you.

In the meantime, please be advised that our standard rooms, which measure 30 m2, are the largest entry level rooms of the other 5 star hotels in the city. The dimensions and view are also specified on our website. With regards to your comments about my colleagues, needless to say I am somewhat surprised at your observations. I can assure you that each of them is dedicated to providing attentive and friendly service to all of our guests so I am sorry if you perceived otherwise.

Thank you again for your comments. We are sorry you did not enjoy your visit to The Merrion and perhaps I will hear from you to learn more of your experience as mentioned above.

Your sincerely,

Peter MacCann

Write a ReviewReviews (3,528)

Reviewed 2 May 2016

5 start service and accommodation at its best! The beds are so comfortable and there is so much to explore in this hotel. Pure Elegance! The staff at the hotel will help you in any way they can and its a testimony to this hotel that they have such great people working for them.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a room with courtyard view, very beautiful.
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled with family
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2016

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the absolutely fantastic review following your recent stay with us.

I was delighted to read your lovely comments about the service and facilities here at the Hotel along with your words of praise which are very kind indeed. I have shared your comments with my colleagues and they are very pleased that you appreciated their attentive care so much.

We hope to have the privilege of welcoming you back to stay with us again and that your visit then will be as memorable as the last.

Thank you again for your words of encouragement.

Reviewed 2 May 2016 via mobile

Had a great stay. Loved the hotel. Staff very friendly. Pool was good. Only slight negative is that the hotel couldn't get us into Patrick Guilbaud - the restaurant attached to the hotel. Most 5 star hotels can get you in to their own restaurant...

Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank richard d

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us which I was delighted to read.

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it and I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us on the whole Thank you for the feedback about your efforts to make a reservation at Restaurant Patrick Guilbaud. I am genuinely sorry that they were unable to accommodate you on this occasion but should we have the privilege of welcoming you back again perhaps you would let us know in advance so we can make a booking for you.

Reviewed 1 May 2016 via mobile

The Merrion is my go to "home away from home" while I am in Dublin and having stayed at multiple other properties in the city, it rates above all.

This trip we stayed in a Queen Garden View room which was immaculate as usual. We received an apology letter due to the construction that was going on during work hours, but, honestly, this was totally unnecessary as we didn't hear any of it.

We arrived and we're please to find an assortment of fruit and chocolates waiting for us *thank you*, which we ate on all week.

The service here is just absolutely amazing, from the front desk staff, concierge, to housekeeping, all wonderful. Do have the Merrion Afternoon Art Tea if you visit. I try to have it every time I am here, even if reservations are limited and I have to have it delivered to my room. This is arguably better sometimes, as it is so much food, I can eat it over time while working.

Also, a highlight is the fitness space and pool area down in the Spa. For the small space it is, they have most everything you would find in a well appointed gym, from ab mats, kettle bells, bikes, treadmills, full weight rack, etc... Perfect for working off the tea cakes and pastries!

I will be visiting Dublin again this coming month, and will be back to my "home" again soon.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled on business
5  Thank atlsuburbanite

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind and thoughtful review following your recent stays with us which I was delighted to read.

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it and thank you for your kind comments which I have shared with all the team here. Your feedback is extremely heartening, very encouraging and has given us all a big boost. We are all looking forward to welcoming you back to stay again in the coming weeks.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with us.

Reviewed 30 April 2016

This hotel is an excelent choice for people who love Art, old times, nostalgy and luxury :)
We stayed already twice in this property! First time we loved it so much we decided immediatelly to come back in a few weeks.
Both time we stayed in a suit as we always go for bigger rooms.
Hotel is exactly what we had expected to be! True Irish tresure!!!
I specially enjoyed all the original paintings and sipping Irish coffee by the fireplace is just like from another time and we LOVED it!
Breakfast is amazing!!! And we can't thank enough to Branko, who was taking care of us every morning! What an amazing attentive gentleman he is! We realy want to stress how it is important to have the right people! Hotel can be as great as possible but without right people its just a impersonal place! Thank you dear Branko!!! We will be back.
All staff was very helpful and accomodating, hotel is beautiful, food delicious, that is why we are deffinitely coming back!
Thanks Merrion for a wonderful stay!!!

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank Maukyt

Dear Guest,

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it and I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us so much. Thank you in particular for your feedback about your experience in the Cellar Restaurant for breakfast which our Chef and all the team in the restaurant were thrilled to read.

I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to stay with us again.