“Warm clean central and friendly”

O'Callaghan Davenport Hotel
Ranked #57 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 5 April 2012

We stayed here for St Paddy's day with our friends. We have originally booked the Monte Clare but we were informed a few weeks before the trip the we had been moved to The Davenport. As it was just across the road this was no big deal.

The room was clean and tidy and the staff were all very friendly, they even supplied crockery, cutlery and napkins when we got a takeaway in.

The hotel is ideally located within walking distance of all Dublin's sights. There were a couple of good pub's nearby for a beer. Kennedy's and The Ginger Man, both very friendly and reasonably priced for Dublin.

There is a taxi service just outside the hotel and prices were reasonable.

Therewas a pay for wireless access. I was lucky enought to find a free access point from room 327!

The trip was for relaxing with friends and meeting up with family. We had a great time.

1  Thank karen_n_terry
Cooley05, Manager at O'Callaghan Davenport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Davenport Hotel again in the future

Reviewed 4 April 2012

Nice Hotel. Stayed as part of CIE Tour. Rooms were quite nice quite spacious, view from Room OK. Great Pub across the street called The Ginger Man. Breakfast was good and staff quite competent.Our whole group seemed quite pleased.

2  Thank regerton

Reviewed 28 March 2012

I stayed in The Davenport Hotel for four nights recently and got off on the wrong foot. I parked outside the hotel and asked about parking facilities. I was directed around the block to a gated complex and I was given a code to gain access. I assumed I had arrived at the rear of the hotel. Having parked the car I had difficulty trying to find the lift/stairs to the hotel before realising that it was a separate entity. I went out onto the street and walked about 200 metres to the hotel with my suitcase and suit. I had to walk back again to get another bag and came upon a gang of about ten boisterous youths. Once I collected my bag I had to pass them again. It was dark at the time and there didn’t appear to be anybody else around and it was a little intimidating. I imagine that it would be worse for a lone female in the same situation. It cost me €40 for the privilege and when I went to check out of the hotel I discovered that I couldn’t include it on my room bill and had to pay at the car park. Because I didn’t validate the ticket at reception before I left, the machine in the car park was charging me €182, so I had to trundle back to the hotel again. I found this business to be frustrating and time consuming to say the least. There is no mention of parking on the website and I would caution visitors to be aware of this arrangement before booking the hotel. Apart from that, the room was very comfortable, quiet and clean and the food was good. The location is excellent, just a few miniutes walk from Stephens Green.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank TrevorCork

Reviewed 27 March 2012

Nice hotel, great location. Decent size room with huge bed. Breakfast very comprehensive. Staff on the ball. My only disappointment was the lack of free wi-fi, only the house computer available @ 2.99 hour. Yet wi-fi was free in cafe across the road.

Hotel particularly handy for National Gallery (two minutes). Would definitely stay he again. Certainly would stay if free wi-fi was available!

Room Tip: We had 530 and 630. Brilliant rooms
1  Thank AmeliaJoni

Reviewed 18 March 2012

What a great base for our long weekend in Dublin. This hotel were helpful in every way to us and the weather was kind enough to jump on an open top bus. The hotel served the best pint of Guinness in Dublin and the tall maybe Dutch maybe Belgium duty manager certainly made us feel welcome. If you also want the best bar in Dublin then find O'Sullivans Bar. It is in the centre but we found it the best true Irish experience. (Temple Bar area is more like Blackpool). Breakfast at the hotel was first class they even managed to get me the only English Times in Dublin to relax with too.

Room Tip: Bars across the street were open but not noisy so no problems
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank portmanrd
davenportgm, Manager at O'Callaghan Davenport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2012

Dear portmanrd,
Thank you for your kind comments. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have passed on your kind comments to the duty manager involved. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future,

Kind regards,