“Good help when things went wrong!”
Review of Egans House

Egans House
Ranked #25 of 150 Dublin B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 September 2011

We, a family of 5 stayed here when stopping through Dublin. Our room was right up the top with 5 of us in the room, but we still had enough room! Our hot water didn't work, and we were given another key to another room to use the shower anytime plus 2 bottles of wine as an apology! Also, we slept through the breakfast time slot but we were still allowed into the dining room and fed cereal and tea and toast! They also catered for our daughter who had gluten free needs and let us take the whole loaf of bread with us through Ireland.
I think a good sign of a good place is the response when things may go wrong. Evans guesthouse went out of their way for us each time and couldn't have been more helpful with advise, ordering taxis for us etc.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Patkym

Reviewed 13 September 2011

We stayed at Egans house twice on our visit to Ireland. The first room was a bit small, but clean and comfortable, but the second room was massive. Breakfast was excellent both visits and we are happy to recommend this establishment to everyone. Liz

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Liz M
Reviewed 13 September 2011

We stayed here as a stop over between a holiday in Donegal and getting the ferry from Dun Laoghaire. We wanted a room to sleep all 5 of us together which is always a bit of a struggle! Egans family room was great. It is in the attic but my 6'3" husband managed without banging his head! The room had a king size bed, a double bed and 2 single beds. The en-suite was clean and after an initial problem with there being no hot water this was quickly sorted by a call to reception who even called back later on to check everything was OK. The receptionist was very helpful and gladly found us the cinema information that we requested. Breakfast was a nice buffet style in a lovely dining room, a bit on the expensive side as there was no children's discount. We did ask for a WiFi key but the receptionist said that they had all been given out for the day but we could pay to use the pc in the lounge (we didn't!). There was no tea/coffee making facilities in the room but there is a coffee machine in the guests lounge (1 Euro). There are lots of games available in lounge as well which the kids loved.
The hotel is a little tired and is due for an update but the friendly staff made up for it. We would consider staying here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank SunnyDayLucy
Reviewed 10 September 2011

We stayed here up the recommendation of others - sadly that was ten years ago and it appears not a Euro has been spent on the place since then.
My girlfriend had doubts as soon as we walked through the main entrance. The place looked tired, the lounge furniture out-dated and it was gloomy.
We stayed in room 22 and when we opened the door a smell of damp hit us.
The room was a bit dirty and we overlooked bins.
The furniture was very old and the bathroom had a tired look about it.
The fifteen Euro early check-in fee was a rip-off.
I wanted to complain immediately but my girlfriend was exhausted and didn't want to create a scene.
A look on the internet saw Dublin was full up for Friday night so we cut our losses and told the receptionist we would be staying just one, not two nights.
We wanted to iron a few things but the iron was ancient. It sparked when I turned it on on the water container was broken.
That night's sleep was a disaster. The bedding was smelly with a horrible old blanket on top and the room (22) was ridiculously noisy.
Every time the room upstairs turned on a tap, took a shower or flushed the toilet the noise would echo in our room.
We hardly slept a wink and could even hear upstairs talking at 6am.
In the morning we paid up and left sharp to our new place - no early fee for a room ready at 10.30.
My girlfriend was very upset and just wanted to get out - welcome to Dublin.
I e-mailed the owners when I got back to London and was given a pathetic - like it or lump it response.
Subsequently I rang several times but was fobbed off that the owners were not available.
One member of staff e-mailed me back in error saying what a pain I was and what lies she had said to get rid of me.
Egan's needs an awful lot of money spent on it and some training in customer relations wouldn't go amiss either.
Only stay here if you are really desperate.
Eventually I found

Room Tip: if you must stay, avoid room 22
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Julian d
EgansHouse, Owner at Egans House, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2011

I reject entirely all that you have said about the room.It is a standard double room of 3* guesthouse standard. It has a large bathroom with a large opening window, separated from the bedroom by a lobby.
When you found that there was a problem with the room you should have told the receptionist immediately and you would have been either given another room or your money back & free internet access to find alternative accommodation.
Indeed given that you stated that you are in the hospitality industry yourself you were obviously well aware of the standard procedures to be followed if you are not happy with your room.
Instead you came to Grainne at reception actually apologising that there was a change of plan and that you would not be staying a second night but would be staying with relatives. All this information is documented in our log book and can be inspected. Neither yourself nor your girlfriend mentioned a single complaint.
Also you were informed in advance by email of the early check-in charge and so I fail to comprehend why you then found it a rip-off.
Furthermore you were refunded in total for the second night despite not giving 24 hours notice.

Reviewed 30 August 2011

We arrived in Dublin much later than we anticipated and had dinner with friends. I called Egan's and the person I spoke with on the phone was very pleasant and said we could check in as late as midnight. This is a benefit for us as we are usually just winging it on vacation and don't know what time we will arrive. The Egans were quick to respond to emails before we came and I do appreciate that.
Dublin is a very difficult city to drive in. The streets change names over and over and nothing goes straight through. We spent over 2 hours trying to find this place before finally hiring a cabbie to lead us there. This is, of course, no fault of the Egans, the city street layout is difficult. We arrived just before midnight and the person working night reception was of no help at all. I asked if he could change a large bill for me to pay the cabbie and he refused since the bill had a slight tear in it. He claimed his boss would fire him if he took it with a tear. My husband had to go with the cabbie to an atm to get money to pay him. The receptionist was quite curt and somewhat rude about the whole thing, and wouldn't even let me finish a sentence. When I asked him where the room was, he came out from behind the desk and pointed to the room numbers on the upstairs door and explained in a very condesending tone that room 45 was upstairs as the number 45 was between the numbers posted on the door. Having a masters degree I was aware of where the number 45 fits in to the number line but not having ever been to Egan's before, I had no idea which door went upstairs or how to go anywhere in the building. After two hours of being lost in Dublin, we were disappointed to see how tiny the room was. The bed had a nice headboard but no frame, the mattresses were on the floor, making them very low to the ground. I was happy to see a top sheet on the bed as those appear to be rare in Ireland.
So, the positive review is that the Egans are easy to communicate with, the room was clean and ready, and the morning receptionist was pleasant and understanding. The room was clean and a little cheaper than other places i looked at. It was quiet and we were not disturbed.
The negatives are that the room was very small, bed on the floor and the night receptionist was rude. The stair ways are so narrow it was difficult to get the suitcases up the stairs.
We ate with our friends so I cannot comment on the food.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple