“Chinese Food Chinatown Style!”

M&L Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #599 of 2,689 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 5 September 2017

I'm a native New Yorker now living in Ireland and I love Chinese food in Chinatown and in a variety of restaurants on both the Upper East and West Sides of Manhattan. I also enjoy eating in London's and San Francisco's Chinatowns. This is the first Chinese meal I've had in Ireland that reminds me of those wonderful meals. Began with steamed beef dumplings (prefer the pork but the kitchen had run out) and they were good. My husband had chicken lettuce wraps and they were very good too! We both enjoyed our main dishes as well - shrimp/pork with sweet and sour sauce and chicken in black bean sauce (with a nice amount of veggies within the dish) served on a sizzling platter. In addition to good food at reasonable prices, staff is friendly and polite and restaurant is clean and bright. All in all, great dining experience.

Reviewed 5 September 2017

This is a very difficult review to write primarily because I adore the food here but my partner doesn't like it much at all. This restaurant serves the best hot & sour soup I've had in Ireland and my go to dish for main course is their hot and spicy squid (because they never have the razor clams!!) which is out of this world - the spiciness level is just right and the squid cooked to perfection buttery, soft and delicate. However on the other hand the chicken and sweetcorn soup my partner had last time was just OK - it was a bit watery and bland. The ribs we've tried before were perfectly adequate without being anything outstanding. On both occasions the other main meal has been the chicken curry. The first time it was fine but on this latest visit the chicken was not nice at all - flaccid and slimy in a gloopy sauce. Overall the food is a bit hit and miss and seems to depend on what dish you select. However the one thing that doesn't improve is the service which has always been indifferent to say the least. It varies between fairly pleasant (on rare occasions and seems to depend on who's serving) and surly and pretty much disinterested (which is the norm) - there's no effort to engage with customers or pass the time of day. However given the popularity of this place with tourists it maybe the case that this just adds to the character? Also annoying that they don't take plastic - cash only so go prepared. That said the prices won't break the bank. Would I go again - maybe for take out for my own self whilst my other half gets a takeout from somewhere else!

1  Thank MrsWoman94
Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

Sometimes I need my regular Chinese food after traveling for some time and consuming western food. This place was an accidental good find. So far we have ate twice here and both times are just as satisfying. They do goo Sichuan food, the Cantonese style may be slightly sweet but still tasty and has good "wok" energy. They do good soups too and this is a place that can serve you good green vegetables Chinese style and steamed whole sea bass. Their serving of one bowl of rice is huge.

Reviewed 23 August 2017

I decided to have lunch here, having heard and read good reviews about the place. As I arrived, it coincided with a large group of Asiatic visitors and the waiter told me that the "kitchen would be busy". I took this to mean that I would be waiting a while but this was not the case. My meal of Jumbo Prawn in Soy sauce along with Fried Aubergine arrived. I chose noodles as an accompaniment , which were nicely flavoured vermicelli style and the entire meal was delicious.
Apart from the visiting group, there were lots of Asiatic diners obviously enjoying their meals, which speaks to the authenticity of the food. This is traditional Chinese food and a great selection is available . I will be back for more soon!!

Reviewed 16 August 2017

Made a reservation Monday evening for 5.30 Tuesday evening. Tried to ensure that I had the right restaurant by checking that it was beside the Pro Cathedral, but the staff member did not understand what I was saying. Passed me onto another staff member who's English was almost as bad. However, I got on with the transaction.

However, the following evening when I arrived dead on time and gave my name,I was gruffly informed by maitre d that they had a "big party" and from then on getting served was a nightmare. I'm not going to talk about the food, as the service was so poor that nothing could retrieve the night.

Bathroom was abysmal also.