“True Japanese experience”

Kappa Ya
Ranked #136 of 509 Restaurants in Galway
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 14 November 2016

We were looking for a restaurant in Galway on a saturday night. Everything was completely full, apart from this beautiful restaurant. We still don't understand why there were empty tables. The food was very good and affordable. We both had the chicken teriyaki, which we can definitely recommend. We had spent the whole summer in Japan and we can definitely say that this restaurant is Japanese in every aspect: japanese food, decoration and jazz music! Even the dessert was delicious.
We will definitely come back here.

kappa-ya, マネージャー at Kappa Ya, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2016

Hi Lucia,

Thank you for your lovely comment.
We are happy in being able to her that you enjoyed your dinner with us.
The restraint is actually little known, being honest...
Please bring your friends next time and probably better making a reservation as we are the small restaurant that easily get full especially weekends !

Reviewed 25 October 2016

Kappa Ya Japanese restaurant in Middle Street is a gem. Great food, great service and a nice wine list. Enjoy!

kappa-ya, マネージャー at Kappa Ya, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2016

Hi A-Reel,
I'm glad you have found our wine list !
There aren't many ranges, but they are all selected by the chef to go with our food.
Looking forward to seeing you next time again !

Reviewed 17 October 2016

Food is ok - I had the Teriyaki Salmon with rice, miso soup and 3 starters selected by the chef. It's ok - worth a try, but not memorable. Staff are lovely, service was very good. I guess I was expecting more given the reviews.

kappa-ya, マネージャー at Kappa Ya, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2016

Thank you for your comment, RISLV.
That is a shame that you didn't fully enjoy the dinner you had.
Sometimes special course dinner event is held at the restaurant.
I guess it would be more memorable (hopefully!).

Reviewed 6 October 2016

I had never had Japanese food before, other than sushi. Went into this place with an open mind as I normally never eat fish other than salmon or tuna. I didn't know what to order, there is so much to choose from. So I chose the option where you just let the chef give you three dishes of his selection while my bf chose some tapas dishes (that's how they work, tapas style). I got tofu in fish stock, mackerel and some kind of egg dish with lotus flower. As someone who really isn't into fish, I can honestly say that everything was amazing, my favourite was actually the mackerel, it was full of flavour and melted in the mouth. Amazing! Never thought anyone could convert me to like mackerel! My bf adored his food too, said the chicken melted in the mouth. The vibe of the restaurant was lovely and the service was great, a lovely girl looked after us and didn't laugh at my lack of skill with chopsticks, she brought me a knife and fork when I gave up. :) Will be back!

kappa-ya, マネージャー at Kappa Ya, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2016

Thank you for the compliments, Carolyn. Glad you both enjoyed your dinner !

Tsumami plate which is the dish of chef's selection has different things every time. You'll be surprised again next time !

Reviewed 13 September 2016

Full disclosure. I love Kappa ya. I always visit when im back in Galway. I have had katsu don in lots of places and this one is the best. Amazing cutlet and the daishi sauce is just beautiful. The miso soup is the nicest I have had in ages. All of this and it is presented just beautifully. Kappaya is a great gem of a place.

kappa-ya, マネージャー at Kappa Ya, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2016

Thank you for the many compliments, Dennis.
Our dashi sauce is always fresh made by dried Bonito which we shave everyday. Not many places has fresh dashi sauce in Ireland. I am glad that you love it. Looking forward to seeing you when you are back to Galway next time.

Sana