“Barely habitable but friendly staff”
Review of Woodquay Hostel

and 1 more site!
Woodquay Hostel
Ranked #41 of 60 Speciality Lodging in Galway
Reviewed 8 September 2017 via mobile

Most toilets in the building didn't work. Shower in ensuite 4 bed dormitory went from hot to cold. Cleaners only half cleaned the rooms and surrounding areas. I could see the remenants of people's popped spots in the mirror in the ensuite bathroom 2 minutes after it was "cleaned". Could see dust and debris everywhere in the building.

The bed was acceptable but the room was stuffy and felt like it was not getting the air it needed. The staff were extremely pleasant though. They always had a smile and were willing to give advice on where to go. It's a pity given the state of the place.

I will not be returning and would recommend people to avoid here.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo

Reviewed 30 July 2017

Wifi is slow in the first floor, breakfast is not too healthy, as no brown bread or fruits available. Shower control is sometimes not working. No door key cards and you need to visit the receptionist to the get and return the door key every time you go out of the hostel, no hand wash in the toilette, and toilette rag/mat, no lamp or extra plugs in near your bed. Staff are very helpful and accommodating, from the receptionist to the cleaners, they are all nice. Bed are comfortable and sheets are clean. I asked the helpers to change my sheets again, and they did without any questions. Hostel is in the center of city and everything is done by walk. Breakfast is available even after 10 am, great for those who woke up very late. I still consider my stay in this hostel is good.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 June 2017

I stayed here 4 weeks ago for 4 nights...Located on the outskirts of Galway city, near the harbour..Staff friendly and helpful. Continental breakfast with mulitple choice. Good sized dining area. Made a lot of friends there, from across the globe...Would definitely return there...Hostel also orginises day trips and walking tours....

Room Tip: Choose a 8 bunk room, if travelling alone...
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Ger H
Reviewed 11 June 2017

This hostel is normal-looking, in the sense that it´s not luxurious or anything...but i am rating it high because:
-The staff was very, very kind, letting me print my tickets for free in their system, and letting me stay all day at the living room using wifi and having my snacks, also gave me some milk even when I had checked out...That´s why I write about flexibility....also very kind in giving explanations about everything I asked.

-The fact of coming in and out of the hostel to and from the kitchen and living room without necessarily passing by reception, made me feel like at home, and it was very easy meeting people with that format of living room /kitchen.

-The bathroom was big and you had everything there..the shower and toilets. I personally feel uncomfy when i have these showers in a row, and the sinks and toilets separately...I love being in hostels where I have a single bathroom for everything and it feels like at home.

-It was also clean and the beds were comfy.

And all for only 13 euros through hostelworld (not directly through the hostel.) So, even if it´s not beautiful or lux, which I know, I value all these things.

Room Tip: book through hostelworld, it´s cheaper than through the hotel (4 € cheaper)
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 April 2017 via mobile

This hostel was exactly what you expect for what you pay, relatively clean and in a great location the only thing is the staff could of been a bit more friendly! The woman working that we checked in with was just not very interested but more interested in eating her lunch at the desk!

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends