Lowest prices for your stay
US$113
US$124
Hotels.com
US$113
PricelineUS$124
eDreamsUS$124
travelup.comUS$127
All reviews christmas stay carters restaurant great power shower afternoon tea breakfast was included impressive hotel spa staff iron and board an enjoyable stay fantastic location public areas scones old building town centre other guests member of staff minute walk
Selected filters
Reviewed 17 August 2021 via mobile

I had no idea that this hotel had decended to such a level. We booked for our anniversary and found on arrival a huge queue snaking around the entrance to check in. Two women stood at the desks and one seemingly just floating around looking blank. Then one woman disappeared which seemed strange given the queue - and we were left waiting half an hour to be seen. Each person took an absolute age and many were being told their room wasn't ready despite it being after 4pm...
Upon our eventual arrival in the room , we found that not only was there dog urine on the floor from one of the many pets staying that weekend (I checked by dabbing - I have a dog!).. but the tops were unwiped, window sills on the nasty old metal framed window were dusty - and anything laid on a chair had a film of fluffy ancient dust on it when it was picked up.
The most disappointing aspect was the bathroom, which literally didn't have a working shower. Given that it was our special arriversary meal I was upset not to be able to shower and get ready properly. There was a hole in the ceiling from a leak and overall I was just shocked at the poor quality. for 220 (!!!!) Quid a night I expect something high quality and clean. Someone else's breakfast pots still outside my door and a covid clean sticker which was broken and just stuck on the door don't exactly speak of Covid compliance either.
Double Tree - you should be ashamed- sort it out! If you don't have the staff then don't book the rooms out!

Date of stay: July 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank Kellymoo1
Reviewed 16 August 2021

Terrible staff, very long waiting times at reception, poor service, extremely noisy and warm rooms.
Overpriced frozen veggie burgers served in the restaurant.
Heard great things from several people who stayed in previous years, but Hilton have ruined it now.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
1  Thank Ben B
Reviewed 13 August 2021

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at this hotel. We booked the hotel as a room only deal. The room was huge, we felt we were on holiday in America!! Not often do you have to go up two steps to the bathroom. Immaculately clean with big fluffy towels and a massive walk in shower. If we needed any extra toiletries they were available at reception. A very lovely hotel. We only came into contact with the reception staff who were all helpful and friendly.

1  Thank Partridge_Family
Reviewed 13 August 2021 via mobile

This hotel has many fine attributes but let down by the manager, why have they not replied to any recent reviews. We like most nearly cancelled based on recent reviews but couldn’t cancel and rebook in time on the scale we needed. Room 9/10. Bar 8/10 poor wine list. Staff 9/10. Bar food 5/10 little value. Restaurant Food inc Breakfast 0/10 Gordon Ramsay needs a visit. Management 3/10 restaurant manager great but rest woeful. Checkin 7/10 swift but mix up with payment. Paid £275 DBB 4/10 value for money, recommend room only basis as you can eat much better 5minutes away, The quality of food really let this hotel down on this occasion, personally we had without doubt the worst restaurant experience because of the food not because of the serving staff, I felt really sorry for them.

Room tip: Book room only eat out
Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank Y3622XMmarkv
Reviewed 13 August 2021 via mobile

So I read the reviews and they were terrible, do I cancel I thought as didn’t want to disappoint my mum who was coming with me and my teenage daughter. I then reminded myself as a Hospitality professional how much tripadvisor can influence people and also how the reviews can be made up, far fetched one sided accounts of the real experience so we decided to stay.

From check in every staff member was polite, helpful and gave great customer service. Yes some were obviously training but they wanted to help and do their best for customers, we all have to learn how to do our jobs!! The spa was wonderful, yes a little pricey but we thoroughly enjoyed the time spent there (top tip, the price is only £15 still in their online brochure if you look, mention this and they will honour that price).

Our rooms were clean and very comfortable with everything we needed, tv’s were down due to a local fire that burned the transmitter but that’s not the hotel’s fault and who’s away for a break to watch tv anyway? Food and service in restaurant on both nights was fantastic and the bar staff serving the outside seating area were very pleasant and helpful too.

Hotels have been hit so hard by the fall out of the pandemic and are really struggling to get staff and open back up to pre-pandemic levels. These people didn’t have the luxury of working from home or having job security and have had to work with so many restrictions since opening. I get so cross with those members of society that feel they are entitled and have the right to comment, criticise and complain about everything just because they can’t get their holiday abroad or their luxury cruise. Instead of picking at every little detail please try and think about what is positive about your stay and enjoy it instead of moaning and complaining about everything. Ultimately it’s only yourselves you make miserable by wasting your break moaning.

Go and stay and enjoy this traditional hotel that has been brought back to life with a wonderful refurbishment and lovely friendly helpful staff.

Trip type: Travelled with family