“Lovely seafood”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 18 September 2015 via mobile

Made a reservation through E-mail the day before visiting as we didn't want to miss out on coming here.
We arrived early and the staff were really pleasant and friendly. The building was quite small and the decor could probably do with modernising but it all added to the ambiance of the quaint restaurant.
We ordered a bottle of wine at the bar whilst our table was being prepared. The extensive wine list was slightly over priced.
Unfortunately the food menu wasn't as extensive as the wine list but still on the slightly over priced side. But this didn't hinder us from picking our food as I was quite varied.
We had 2 courses each, a desert to share and 2 bottles of Chardonnay. Bill was just over £100
The food was fantastic though and we couldn't fault it apart from my partner would have liked more than 3 king scallops on his starter. He said they were more like baby scallops not king size! He also mentioned something about the crab claws being previously frozen? The fish pie, on the other hand, was devine and I definitely had plenty.
We would recommend this restaurant to anyone who loves seafood or fancies a treat. If you don't like seafood though, do not come here as there are no alternatives on the menu for anyone else. Which is a refreshing change for us 2 seafood lovers

Reviewed 17 September 2015

We planned a late lunch to celebrate a special occasion and reserved a table for 13.30. On arrival, all downstairs tables were full but we were shown to the upstairs room which was quiet with only a few diners. Armed with a very reasonably priced glass of champagne we chose from the extensive menus (full, lunchtime and specials). All looked very attractive, and as we love fish it was hard to choose. My wife chose duo of mackerel and I had king scallops for starters. We ordered from the specials menu for mains: risotto with crab and roasted cod for my wife and I had grilled brill on a bed of roasted vegetables. Starters arrived swiftly along with a delightful bottle of Puilly Fumé. Both starters were delicious and we used soft brown bread to mop up the juices. We had a short wait for the mains, but this is easily explained by the slow cooking of risotto. Both mains were superb. My wife loves risotto and reported that the rice was perfect along with perfectly cooked cod. My brill was white as white, flaky and set on lovely mixed vegetables which were cooked to perfection. No sides were offered or needed - but of course you could add some dauphinois or mange toutes if you wanted. Only one dessert was needed (two spoons), ice cream with raisins and madeira - mmm. After a couple of expressos we left around 3pm reflecting on one of the best lunches we have ever had. Service was excellent, tables of smooth slate were a little small but this was not an issue as the restaurant wasn't full and we could balance wine and water on a adjoining table. Highly recommended - we will be back!

Reviewed 17 September 2015

it is quite a pricey place but they offer a two course lunch for £18 or three courses for £22. There was a reasonable choice on the fixed price menu and I had no problems of selection. I started with fishcake which was very tasty and followed on with a cold seafood platter. I suppose it was pretty simple fare but I got a substantial plate of various seafoods which I thoroughly enjoyed. The dessert was fantastic - ice cream on a madeira wine, smothered with sultanas. I have never had a dessert like it - it was good! My beer and my wife's wine were both well served and acceptable. If I had a criticism it was that the downstairs eating area/bar is not big and I thought that they were trying to squeeze in too many people - the restaurant seemed fairly busy. There is, however, an upstairs area which I did not see, so there may be a little more space on the first floor. The service was very good, attentive without being overbearing and I felt that we had an excellent meal at an acceptable price. I would come back.

Reviewed 15 September 2015

Read the reviews and thought must try as not been here for a long time.
Good choice of seafood. We were a party of 4 and all of us ordered different courses.
Well cooked, but boring presentation. Waitress very pleasant and useful knowledge on the choices
Found the tables very close together and ambience quite flat. Reasonable value.

Reviewed 14 September 2015

Another great evening in this very popular restaurant. First visited this place over 25 years ago and still the same atmosphere, quality of food and excellent service. a real asset to Harrogate.!
Enjoyed a beautifully cooked and presented mixed seafood grill and a nice bottle of Chablis.
The menu is fairly extensive without being OTT
Great for lunch or dinner.
we prefer eating downstairs !!