Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
US$121
View deal
eDreamsUS$121
TripadvisorUS$121
FindHotel
Agoda.comUS$121
PricelineUS$121
All reviews sunday carvery golf break round of golf from start to finish afternoon tea great value for money cabin venue meal testing bunker veg
Selected filters
Reviewed 16 July 2020

This would have been our first time playing at Calderfields . We booked a round of golf for 9.48 AM but we arrived at 9.51 AM . There was heavy traffic on the motorway the delay was unavoidable

So this guy appears with a clipboard very rudely saying we have missed our tee off times and we cant play. We explained about the motorway etc and we said there were people waiting to tee off anyway

We said we will Tee off after them which he finally agreed to.

However like i said this was our first time at Calderfields and we were not sure on the dress code and myself and my son were wearing smart dark jeans.

He noticed this and again very rudely said we cant play and we must have a refund.

The lad in the Club shop was really polite and helpful and the manger could do with taking a few lessons from him on how to treat people.

He really spoke down to us which is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE.

Date of stay: July 2020
1  Thank ChrisR7787
Dan Lowe, General Manager at Calderfields Golf & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2020

Dear Chris,

Thank you for the review. Having already replied to you on email I feel it is important I address this also as it is a public comment.
The golf manager you refer to is our course marshal. He is there to uphold the etiquette, dress code, pace of play, health & safety and general operations of the golf course.

I fully appreciate that traffic can cause people to be delayed and as i mentioned in my email, we would have happily moved your tee times back if your passenger had called ahead to notify us.

With regards to the dress code, all golf clubs who are not municipals hold a dress code. At Calderfields ours is actually very relaxed compared to some, but, we do still try to uphold standards. The golf shop is onsite for anyone who wishes to purchases a golf t-shirt or pair of trousers.

We hope to see you back at Calderfields again very soon.

Reviewed 14 March 2020 via mobile

On arrival there was a really welcoming greeting from the lady on reception, she was a delight. However, it was downhill from there after expecting something very different.

The room was nice and warm, but no soap in the bathroom and the TV reception was so bad you couldn’t watch it. I asked for an iron at 18:45, which didn’t show until 23:15, when someone woke me from my sleep knocking on the door - which was a shock in itself!

The lady at breakfast was helpful and efficient, but service doesn’t start until 8am, so if you’re looking for something to eat and an early dart, it isn’t possible here.

Date of stay: March 2020
Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank andrewcY327UF
Dan Lowe, General Manager at Calderfields Golf & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2020

Dear Andrew,

Thank you for your review. I am delighted to hear the staff gave you a pleasant welcome and since your review all of our hotel rooms have been looked at with regards to your comments. I have also passed on the concern about delivering an iron to our front of house manager so this can be improved on.

We hope you will use us again to allow us to rectify your experience.

Reviewed 9 March 2020

We were recommended by friends to the Sunday carvery so booked for a family gathering.
We were seated in the conservatory which was cold
& drafty.
The wine we ordered was out of stock & they had run out of Peroni beer! Not a good start!
The starters were all brought out at different times & were very average so say the least.
The only meats left at the carvery were turkey & pork, they had run out of beef!
Our empty plates were left for over half an hour, no desserts or tea/coffee were offered.We then left, our empty plates still on our table, while all the staff were eating their Sunday dinners!
I would not recommend Calderfields golf club carvery to anyone it was a massive disappointment.

Date of stay: March 2020
Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear Lottie,

Thank you for your review. Unfortunately the wine and beer situation was beyond our control. The brewery lorry broke down on route to us which left us short for the Sunday service. I have passed your comments onto our front of house manager to address the service with the staff.

If you had made your concerns known to the floor manager on the day we would have been in a position to rectify this immediately.

If you decide to book again, please ask for me directly and I will ensure you receive our usually great service.

Reviewed 24 February 2020 via mobile

I go quite regularly for the sunday lunch but over the last few weeks the service has really dropped off. If we didn't enjoy the food as much we would find somewhere else to go. There doesn't seem to be any real coordination of servers which tables they are waiting on. We arrived when it was quite quiet and lots of staff standing around talking. Get seated and went up for the carvery, 15 minutes to get 2 drinks by which time we had nearly finished our mains. Bill came and we were charged for 4 deserts instead of 2.How is that possible? Cracking food but god the service is poor.
Would give 5 stars for the food but the service really let's the place down and unfortunately this is becoming a regular occurrence.

Date of stay: February 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Dan Lowe, General Manager at Calderfields Golf & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2020

Thank you for your review. We lost our food and beverage manager in January with immediate effect which left us short on managerial presence on a Sunday. On top of this we have taken on new casual staff who are still being trained in Sunday service and to add to this, yesterday, our till and ordering system went down meaning everything became very slow. Our new food and beverage manager, Lisa, visited as many tables as possible to explain the situation and we dealt with the unfortunate situation as best as possible.
We are sure the service will improve and we hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed 14 December 2019

Family Carvery trip to Calderfields. It was the first time we had visited so we had high expectations.

The service throughout the meal was very good. We were seated very quickly and drinks orders taken.

Starter wasn’t bad however there weren’t many prawns hiding under the huge portion of sauce on the prawn cocktail.

The Carvery wasn’t bad. Great choice of vegetables and meat. However I felt the Carvery was let down a little by what looked like almost burnt roast potatoes and a one size fits all gravy. The gravy in my opinion was too strong for port and would have been way to strongly flavoured for turkey.

Despite the negatives I would certainly give the Calderfields another go as the atmosphere and service were very good and maybe the potatoes were a one off.

Date of stay: December 2019
Dan L, General Manager at Calderfields Golf & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2019

Thank you for your fair review and constructive comments. I have passed the comments about the starter back to our chef. Regarding the gravy, we understand your views, but, the gravy is the talking point among our 500 weekly visitors and proves very popular with most.
We value your comments and hope to see you again very soon.