“Sunday Lunch”

Ranked #7 of 81 Restaurants in Tewkesbury
Price range: US$7 - US$29
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A 16th century thatched building nestled in the heart of the Cotswold village of Alderton. Just a 10 minute drive from Cheltenham and off junction 9 of the M5 we are ideally situated for any dining occasion. Open from 9.30 am serving fresh coffee with a smile, our award winning Freehouse epitomises everything that is good about homecooking, hospitality and value for money.
Reviewed 13 March 2017

Amazing food. we have stopped off for a drink before and wanted to try out the Sunday lunch. we were not disappointed, the portions were huge. I had the steak and ale pie with silton pastry, would definitely have that again. Didn't go hungry.

2  Thank 938pippa
Wendy W, Owner at The Gardeners Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2017

Thank you for your review. It’s always nice to hear that our customers enjoy their experience. I’m delighted you enjoyed the steak pie as much as we do and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 11 March 2017 via mobile

I have been looking forward to visiting this pub for ages. Catering for meat eaters and vegetarian is a winning formula for my family.

We finally visited on Thursday night having booked a table. First impressions were really good. Parking was easy, all on the flat. Pub is decorated in a contemporary way and the welcome was friendly.

The vegan/vegetarian choices were great although I think maybe the starters could be a little more imaginative, it was all nice and we enjoy them.

I had the artichoke and mushroom strudel for main which was very nice and quite a big portion. All our party enjoyed what they had. I had the rice pudding which was nice.

The staff were friendly and the service to our table was spot on.

The disappointment came when the staff were clearing up around us by 10pm. We would have had coffee but the machine was opened having been cleaned for the evening. It made us feel like we had out-stayed our welcome and didn't really end our evening very nicely. It seemed as though they are so used to the pub being empty by that time, that the habit was to pack up early. We were the only ones there but still, not great for business.

Overall, good food and lovely pub. Would just like to have stayed a bit longer.

1  Thank Buffs1974

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we are always happy to receive comments from our customers. It’s great to hear that you enjoyed the pub and our friendly staff; we are reviewing our menus so we will take on board your comments.

I’m sorry that you were disappointed with regard to our opening times, during the week we do close at 10pm as we are respectful of our neighbours and our staff.

We would love to invite you back on a Friday or Saturday when our closing times are a little later and we can accommodate our customers for longer.

Reviewed 5 March 2017 via mobile

As always, I could only hope the impossible would happen. My wife convinced me to try to be sociable and go to this pub for a meal.
Surprisingly, I really enjoyed the Lamb's Liver with creamed potatoes, vegetables that were 'al dente' to perfection and a shallot onion sauce. I was assured it was all freshly cooked and am certain I hadn't been fooled.

So pleased was I , that I bought the four kitchen staff a drink and then bought one each for the three waitresses. Carelessly, I forgot the bar staff. My cup ranneth over!

For dessert, I asked for the dessert chef to give me a small portion of what he believed best and recommended. Unfortunately, I had misheard his recommendation, which was a sticky toffee pudding. I don't like that dessert.

That aside, I tucked in to his recommendation and found it to be as tough as the spare tyre on a tractor.

I asked a waitress to try and cut it for me and she was disappointed too. It was duly removed from my bill.

On paying at the bar, the slim blonde haired lady behind the bar apologised, rather curtly, I felt, saying, "That happens when you only have a small portion."

Wow! How irritating! This lady's manner needs addressing as she ignored me the first time I spoke to her.

I replied that I had worked in hotels and restaurants for many years and small portions causing problems was nonsense.

I gave the waitresses a decent tip as they had done an excellent job and we were very pleased with our evening.

My wife doesn't agree but I think the Fish and Chips route is so much simpler, much cheaper and has a lot less likelihood of disappointment ......

1  Thank Bodie G
Wendy W, Owner at The Gardeners Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we always appreciate feedback from our customers. I’m glad that you have enjoyed your meals, as we are proud of our locally sourced produce which is freshly prepared by our chefs.
Apologies if you feel you weren’t treated in the right manner by our bar staff, although I’m glad to hear our waiting and kitchen staff made your experience enjoyable. We always strive to give our customers the very best experience, so we will give everyone feedback on your comments. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 1 March 2017

Having visited the Gardeners Arms many times for their superb Sunday lunch we decided to try the mid week menu. We received a warm welcome and were shown to our table. As soon as we looked at the extensive menu we new we had made the right choice. Being mid week the pub was not to busy and after a short wait the food arrived, both meals were very well presented and piping hot. Now for the best bit my wife opted for a vegan meal while I chose the beef lasagne. Both meals were superb, my lasagne was the best I have tasted for a long long time. Congratulations to the Chef.

1  Thank Martyn B

It’s always lovely to hear our customers are returning and enjoying their experience, so thank you for your review. I will pass on your congratulations to the chef, I’m sure they will be pleased to hear how happy you were. We are very delighted you enjoyed both your meals, as we are proud of our ever-growing vegan menu. We can’t wait to see you again.

Reviewed 26 February 2017 via mobile

A warm, friendly welcome and great varied selection of vegan and vegetarian food as well as other meaty dishes. I can vouch for the nut roast Sunday lunch. Interesting local history of the pub too.

1  Thank KLM123411
Wendy W, Owner at The Gardeners Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, it’s always lovely to hear that our customers have enjoyed the full experience, including our Sunday nut roast. We can’t wait to see you again soon.