“Breakfast more like a ‘greasy spoon’ cafe”

Frankie & Benny's New York Italian Restaurant & Bar - Leamington Spa
Ranked #178 of 275 Restaurants in Leamington Spa
Price range: US$0 - US$37
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Firstly, nothing wrong with breakfast as such.

However F&B’s is a cut above a greasy spoon. Atmosphere is nice, gentle 50’s music, nice furnishings usual expectation.

The breakfast menu’s are now cheaply printed ‘cafe’ style cards, the radio is more ‘pop’ than soothing (don’t think ‘Shaggy’ or ersatz Take That covers were crooning in the 50’s?).

Had breakfast stack. Sausage, bacon, hash brown, fried egg on ciabatta bun with cubed potatoes and (extra cost) side of baked beans with free-refill coffees.

Quick service and well presented. Nice looking fried egg but the joy of breaking the yolk and letting it run over the rest of the contents was spoiled when it turned out to be a congealed disc of yellow that dropped off the white onto my plate like a chocolate coin......

Given we eat fairly early the sausage was obviously a reheated left-over; hard ‘baked’, double-cooked skin.

Not to usual standards and feels like a purpose made decision to marginalise breakfast from core (big profits) restaurant lunch/dinner business.

Just under £11 per person for decent sized breakfast with a couple of coffees isn’t too bad but there are a couple of local ‘greasy spoons’ I’d use ahead of this to get similar for around £6-7, just not got the comfy bench seats of F&B’s

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

This place used to be really busy and really good.

Perhaps the brand is a little tired and clearly there is a lot more competition than there used to be in the area but I was really shocked to see how poor it was yesterday.

I expected it to be busier than it was given it was Father’s Day. I guess previous reviews serve as a barometer as to current occupancy levels.

The food is what it is and to be fair, it was timely, it was hot and it matched the description on the menu. No complaints.

But the level of service we experienced in the main was nothing short of inept, disinterested and sloppy.

No attempt by female server to engage, to explain menu, to up sell, no crayons/balloons for kids etc

Food delivered, no sauces offered, no 2nd drinks offered, no check back conducted.

Whilst waiting to order more drinks, gang of staff huddled at the pass, all with backs to their customers, eating chips and audibly saying how they wished they were elsewhere!

Sons dessert came. Was supposed to be a fudge sundae. I think there was a hint of chocolate sauce in the button of a cup filled with squirty cream and a sprinkle of chocolate sweets. I’m not expecting Simpson’s here but come on, how hard is it to follow a spec?!

And it’s not cheap either. If it wasn’t for my partner having some discount code for having the app, it wouldn’t have been far off £100 for 3 mains, 1 sharing starter, 1 kids meal and a couple of rounds of soft drinks.

Giving a discount shouldn’t be a get out for awful disinterested service.

Maybe it’s time for something new from TRG because it seems a poor imitation of its previous self. Menu layout and style infantile and like a poor cheap pub. Hmm?!?

Barely audible music, none of the old F&B sounds, no interaction or interest from staff. Just really naff.

And when you can get family friendly/comfort food elsewhere, cheaper, better and with better service, why would you bother?

And do the management team even care? If I was a manager there, for my own pride I would want to know of such short comings and do something to put it right.

Reviewed 4 June 2018 via mobile

There were items unavailable that we wished to order but that wasn’t the end of the world.
When the food came the order was mixed up and had to be sent back to be rectified.
A steak was ordered as medium rare but came massively over cooked and was actually inedible it was so tough. Items on the children’s food were missing, but worst was the vegetarian pasta that came with bacon!
All errors were due to the kitchen. I actually felt sorry for the waitress.
Money was taken off the bill, but I wouldn’t go there again.

Reviewed 1 June 2018 via mobile

We went for a meal as a group of 4. We got seated looked at the menu then got told ‘there’s no pizza available’ as we were about to order. Luckily none of us wanted pizza. My carbonara was luke warm, all burgers got served with half a handful of chips even though it was £13+ per burger, then half way through the crispy chicken burger we discovered a blue bit of plastic from either a plaster or glove. The waitress apologised and replaced it for us and gave that burger meal for free. After replacing the burger every waiter/waitress was too embarrassed to walk by the table and avoided us. We paid the bill and went to McDonald’s for an ice cream... very bad experience

Reviewed 11 May 2018 via mobile

Service was rubbish, food was cold,and generally one of the worst experiences I’ve had at a frankie and bennys!

Travellers who viewed Frankie & Benny's New York Italian Restaurant & Bar - Leamington Spa also viewed

Bishops Tachbrook, Leamington Spa

Leamington Spa, Warwickshire

Been to Frankie & Benny's New York Italian Restaurant & Bar - Leamington Spa? Share your experiences!