“A long time weekly, 20 years plus customer”
Review of Horse and Jockey

Horse and Jockey
Ranked #715 of 2,420 Restaurants in Manchester
Price range: US$7 - US$21
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 11 January 2018

Bloody horrible little French bulldog bit my husband's finger in there tonight. No apologies from owners, can't people control their little monsters in pubs?

2  Thank suehowe16

Reviewed 7 January 2018 via mobile

We arrived here on a busy Sunday and had a lovely Sunday lunch, my mum is very particular about roast potatoes and even she was impressed, vegetables really tasty, nice big Yorkshire pudding and good roast potatoes what more can you ask for, the staff were really good, very friendly and efficient, we will definitely be visiting again, thank you

Reviewed 18 December 2017 via mobile

Visited today for a quick bite to eat while visiting family. 4 adults and a 1 year old...

Arrived just on opening, place was empty and FREEEEEEEEZING.
Mother in Law ordered drinks and food, wanting a warm drink to keep her warm, shes caffeine intolerant so ordered a decaf latte.
On serving the other drinks to the table, some 10 mins later, the barmaid informed her “We’ve not had our delivery if decaf coffee”...
“Ok... I’ll have a decaf tea”...
“None of that either”
No apology, no other options, no empathy and a severe lack of manners.
Food arrived, first opinions “tis what it tis” cheap and cheerful pub grub, hopefully with a hint of “Chorlton”...
I ordered fish and chips to share with my son, looked ok although slightly over battered for my liking. Chips and peas were spot on though so not all bad. On closer inspection the bottom side of the fish was soggy. I finally found the fish after chiselling away for some time at the batter around the tail. First bite shared with my son was red hot, second was tepid, third was freezing.
The fish clearly wasn’t cooked, and there was an abundance of defrosted ice in the middle, the answer for the soggy batter?
The fish that I ate was also tasteless, the least fish tasting fish I have ever tasted.
We sat around hoping somebody would come and ask how the meal was and if there was anything they could do..... No joy!
My partner then went and informed the same woman who served, she replied “ok I will inform the chef”
Again no apology, we dont want the world, just manners and some empathy.
I could go on further about me then going up and informing the other barmaid, who in fact was helpful, understanding and apologetic, even offering a full refund. Which I declined, by the way, I just wanted an apology and to be spoke to with some manners. I appreciate people make mistakes and shot happens.
Hopefully mine and my sons health isn’t going to be compromised.
The initial barmaid then returned and continued with her bad attitude, lack of manners and blasé approach.

Moral of the storey, treat people as you wish to be treated, if you dont want to...Get out of a public serving industry, manners dont cost a thing.....

You may of had a bad day, feel a little bit under the weather, time of the month, whatever.....but dont take it out on the customer!!

3  Thank Dan B
Reviewed 4 December 2017

I've lived in Chorlton/ Stretford for 12 years now and used to come to the jockey lots when I first arrived here. After a few years it changed hands and did get a bit of a bad rep- kitchen went downhill etc. However the last couple of years we've been back often with our dog who is always very well treated (thanks Chantelle and lots of staff!) I've eaten a couple of times- have enjoyed a lovely Sunday roast and came for a great lunch with my family a few weeks ago and have not been disappointed in the slightest. Staff are really friendly, there are some good gins behind the bar and good outside seating if needed. Great to see the Horse and Jockey on good form again - definite thumbs up!

Reviewed 20 November 2017

saturday night approx. 9.30 3 of us called in here for a drink or 2 before we were going elsewhere, we used to go in here many years ago, 1st impression when we walked in was how it had changed. we stood at the bar waiting to be served, it looked like a few tables had just eaten, wasn't very busy and I would say only a couple of people at the bar. there was 1 girl serving drinks at the bar, who was serving 1 person only, she didn't acknowledge us & another girl with back to us who wasn't serving anyone, she looked like she was doing then walked away. ater waiting to be served 10 mins later we all agreed to leave & go somewhere else. it was a saturday night & we were so annoyed by the bad service, they must have seen us leave but no body was bothered by this, lost custom and we certainly wont go in here again either for a drink or food.

3  Thank heather t