“Afternoon tea”

Ranked #230 of 2,421 Restaurants in Manchester
Price range: US$28 - US$56
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: A charming boutique-style hotel, Great John Street Hotel in Manchester offers relaxed British dining in sophisticated surroundings. At the centre of the Old School House is The Oyster Bar, an intimate vintage-chic bar serving traditional afternoon tea. Found in the Great John Street Hotel, The Lounge leads out onto the School Yard terrace.
Reviewed 9 July 2017

Had afternoon tea as given a christmas present for the Gentlemans tea. Have first to say the hotel is an old schoolhouse, we entered the lounge/bar area but our table was up on the balcony and we felt the atmosphere was not as good as downstairs.Having said that still stylish and we liked the mismatched china on the tables. The food was superb with a good variety of items, scotch egg was fantastic as was the chicken and leek pie. Fish and chips and a wanton also included. For desert a most moist brownie and was divine with ice cream and cheese and biscuits. Our daughter had the ladies which comprised a number of sandwiches and a super selection of cakes. All served with a glass of champagne and a selection of teas.
A most enjoyable experience.

Reviewed 25 June 2017 via mobile

On arrival we were made very welcome by the lady at Hotel Reception and the lady who showed us to our upstairs table. The waitress came very quickly to show us the special tea menu. We ordered tea and a bottle of sparking water which came quickly followed by a plate of small burger French chips small square of fish and two recooked thick chips a Prawn wanton a scotch egg and a small dish of chicken and leak pie with a white puff pasty lid. We were not asked if we wanted any condiments to go with them I would have liked salt and vinegar and mayo and tartar sauce. The air conditioning was very cold and although I eat quite quickly the pie and burger were cool. The food was tasty Then the waitress brought us cheese and crackers and brownie with ice cream all on the same plate which I thought was strange. There was no butter for the crackers and we were not asked if we needed anything. Not asked if we wanted more tea which by now was stone cold. We waited 10 means nobody came so we went to the bar and paid for the water we used a birthday present voucher for the food. What a shame our first impression from the two ladies who greeted us was not continued for our meal. For what we had to eat I would say it is overpriced but tasty

Reviewed 12 June 2017 via mobile

I came here for my 18th birthday with one friend. I did quite a bit of research into the different tea rooms in my area but I found them to be not suited to the situation (too informal etc.) and, in some cases, too reliant on themes such as Mad Hatter's tea rooms and the like. What I found at the Great John Street rooms was a fantastic atmosphere with a very modish interior - incredibly comfortable with a particularly pleasant attention to interior design.

There was an incredibly wide variety in terms of tea available - to the point at which my friend and I had specific flavours to accommodate the tier of foods we were eating at the time. There was a choice of ladies' and gentlemen's tea; I am not sure what the difference is (as we both had the ladies').

The food was excellent and held a wide span from finger sandwiches to macarons. As it was my birthday I also received a complementary slate with strawberries and rocky roads.

I'd definitely recommend the Great John Street Hotel - although my experience was as a birthday event I would highly recommend it for, say, formal lunches - there were also other guests who looked as though they were celebrating bridal showers etc.

Reviewed 2 June 2017

Some friends and I booked the champagne afternoon tea package at the Great John Street Hotel. One of our group members suffers from a range of severe food allergies including an allergy to nuts, strawberries and cream and the hotel staff were advised of this when the booking was made. Another of the group follows a vegan diet (and again the staff were advised of her dietary requirements). On the day of the afternoon tea a member of the hotel staff contacted my friend to discuss her food allergies. As a group we were really looking forward to the tea and had high expectations - we were to be extremely disappointed.

When tea was served a general cake stand was provided for those eating a standard diet and separate tea stands were provided for the vegan member of the party and for the individual with the food allergies. An explanation was given of the items on the stands and my friend was advised that all of the items on her cake stand were safe for her to eat. A few minutes later a waiter came along and said that the wrong stands had been given out and insisted that the stands should be swapped with the vegan tea being given to the person with allergies - the stand included a cake with a huge walnut on it, a chocolate dipped strawberry and a cream based dessert. After being challenged on this the waiter eventually agreed to remove the stand and after a little while came back with the replacement tea - this consisted of a single scone, a chopped apple and a few segments of chocolate dipped orange - a poor selection in view of the cost. We were not offered any tea or champagne and so eventually we had to specifically request that these be served. After asking twice we eventually received these.

When we had finished eating we were left with the used dishes in front of us for over an hour - one friend started to clear the dishes so that we could have a little space around us. We ordered some drinks and even when they were brought the waiter didn't clear the tables - in fact as they were so crowded he brought a small cabinet to place the wine bucket on as he couldn't fit anything on the table!

The next day I rang the hotel and asked to speak to the duty manager to discuss the poor service that we had received. I was advised by the receptionist that the manager was in a meeting but that someone would call me back later to discuss my complaint. When around 10 days later she hadn't called I rang again and eventually spoke to the duty manager at length - she assured me that she would call me back with a response within a week. A week and a half later I still had not received a response and so I contacted the hotel again, spoke to reception again, explained the situation again and once again was told that the manager was in a meeting and that she would call me back. Three weeks on she still hasn't called.

I am bitterly disappointed with the level of service we received during the tea and certainly with the failure of the hotel management to try to address the numerous concerns that I have advised them of. We chose to go to Great John Street Hotel because we assumed that we would have an afternoon to remember - we will, but not for the right reasons.

Reviewed 28 May 2017 via mobile

Visited for afternoon tea last Saturday. We have been before and had a great time so we were looking forward to it. However we were both a bit disappointed with the food/drink. Venue is lovely and the tea room is very nice and cosy. On arrival we went to the bar, I wanted a glass of prosecco however they only sell champagne, which is fine but I would prefer to see a drinks menu. I asked for a gin & tonic and the barman started to make it without giving me a choice of gins, when I asked for the selection it was very small choice and all very standard gins- not what I would expect from a boutique hotel in Manchester at this time. My husband was also disappointed in the ale selection, again used to most places offering unusual craft ales. Our afternoon tea drinks arrived, were very nice and good selection, however each section came out as a separate course, with afternoon tea it should all come out together. It could have been because we were seated on a really really small table so everything wouldn't have fitted, so small that we also had a foot stool for the drinks. I had the standard menu, sandwiches and cakes were delicious and very well presented. My husband had the gentleman's and it was not up to the same standard. There was plenty and it looked a good selection but we expected better quality ingredients, chicken & leek pie - the filling was extremely rich and the puff pastry top was poor, the slider was average meat with a tomato, piece of dim sum was ok, scotch egg average, mini fish & chips was nice. For dessert, brownie & ice cream which was nice but not very imaginative but the cheese and crackers were extremely poor- it included two types of cheese - Brie and cheddar and Jacobs crackers, he said the chutney was nice. I've visited several of the Electic hotels and this just didn't feel up to the usual standard.

1  Thank Gemma_0001