“AMAZING - YET AGAIN!”

La Bandera
Ranked #58 of 2,482 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Authentic Spanish cuisine in Manchester city centre.
Reviewed 18 July 2017

We had yet another fantastic meal here on Saturday evening. The wild hake dish was exceptional, as was the mixed paella. The service was a bit fragmented due to it being the staff change-over time. However we had an amazing welcome from the owners, who have worked really hard to keep up their high standards, and I guess its very difficult to please everyone all of the time - but they make a great effort.
Will return again - soon.

Reviewed 11 July 2017

Came here on a Tuesday evening for my birthday as was the only evening off myself and my housemate could get together, we had been eyeing up La Bandera for quite a while so booked a table for two.

Unfortunately the atmosphere was a little lacking, but can't expect much as was a weekday evening. The wine list was good, and we had a nice Rioja.

The variety of food on the menu was lovely. There were some set menus/tasting menus but we opted to get tapas rather than a main meal. To start we had a cheese platter between the two of us... On reflection, we were probably being greedy and we both agreed that this would be perfect with a bottle of wine between friends if you wanted to go out for drinks. We had bread and aioli which was nice. The small plates that stood out for us were the garlic prawns, calamari, and asian-style chicken strips. The brava sauce with patatas bravas was amazing. We tried the pigs cheeks as we'd read they were great, and although they were very tender, they weren't up to much.

I'd come here again, either for drinks and an appetiser platter, or again for tapas. I would recommend it.

Reviewed 10 July 2017 via mobile

Went for a meal as we enjoy going to authentic Spanish restaurants & bars. The gentleman who greeted us was very friendly, we spoke Spanish & he said we could help him learn, it turned out he was from Cyprus!

The waitress was lovely and she recommended some dishes which we thoroughly enjoyed. The meal and the whole experience was fabulous.

Muchas gracias, hasta pronto!

Anthony & Joanne Light

Reviewed 4 July 2017 via mobile

Visited on Saturday evening with friends, we thoroughly enjoyed it. Lovely venue, great food and fantastic staff! Book in advance though as it gets busy. We were sat at a bar table but it was just as good, lots of room and great atmosphere. We were looked after by Barbara who was lovely. The manager was great too, he was constantly on hand to make sure his customers were enjoying themselves. The food and drink were served quickly and were perfect. It's very reasonably priced for such a great place. Highly recommended, especially the chorizo, prawns, white Rioja and white chocolate martinis! Thanks for a wonderful evening, we look forward to returning.

Reviewed 2 July 2017 via mobile

I came here with my wife on her birthday and we had such a good meal!

We shared 6 tapas dishes: king prawns with garlic, parsley and chillies; fried calamari; squid ink croquettes; patatas bravas; chicken escalopes with bbq sauce; and pig cheeks in Pedro Ximenez sauce. I couldn't fault any of the food at all, everything tasted fresh and delicious, and it was all cooked perfectly. Each of the sauces and dips which were served as accompliments were lovely and complimented the dishes really well too. My favourite tapa were the squid ink croquettes (really great flavour, but subtle enough) and the pig cheeks (very tender, in a lovely rich sauce); the calamari also deserves a mention as it was soft but nice and crispy, which isn't the case a lot of the time.

The restaurant is light and roomy, there was a nice level of noise in there too - enough chatter to make an atmosphere but not too loud. I was impressed with the service, which was pleasant and friendly, but not obtrusive in any way. I also thought the bill was very reasonable, given the excellent quality of the food.

This is my new favourite place, so I'll definitely be back to try more of the menu soon!!