“stunning”

Ranked #69 of 241 things to do in Bordeaux
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 30 March 2018

this Basilica is for me definitely one of the highlights in Bordeaux. the old, pre-christian krypta is really amazing. a must see when in Bordeaux.

All reviews
"sarcophagus"
"architecture"
"history"

Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

This is an interesting church with a long history etched in the fabric and obvious enough for the non experts to work out. The architecture is a treat to explore with the Romanesque intact. The windows are spectacular, largely 19th century I thought (but happy to be corrected). The crypt was a surprise with exceptional 6th century sarcophagi and original chapels.

Reviewed 5 September 2017

We spent almost an hour visiting this church, and were the only people there for most of our visit. A bit (but not far) outside the city center, so many people seem to overlook it. Absolutely beautiful stained glass windows, a lovely carved entrance, and a very interesting crypt to visit. Outside there is a very interesting archaeological site to explore. Well worth the time to visit!!

Reviewed 18 August 2017

Not overly impressive from the outside but inside it is quite beautiful but in an understated way which enhances it. Not on the main tourist trail but really worth a detour to see. The archaelogical site is separate but you can visit the crypt of this church which is well worth doing. The chuch was a few minutes from where I was staying so I paid two visits and on both it was very quiet and peaceful. An unexpected architectural highlight of my Bordeaux visit.

See more reviews
Reviewed 21 July 2017

We went because it was near our hotel, a Unesco site &, although not a Christian, I like the very old sites. I hadn't read up on the church & we were a bit disappointed at first until we noticed the crypt which I believe is 6th century. There were some exceptional sarcophagi from the period. I didn't find any information about what we were looking at which was disappointing.