“Excellent food”

Ranked #6 of 222 Restaurants in Perigueux
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 20 June 2017 via mobile

We were recommended to eat here by the hotel we were staying in. Apart from the language barrier at the beginning (our fault) the food and service was excellent.
Simon & Jeanette

Reviewed 3 June 2017

Excellent service. Friendly and helpful staff. Unique interior that was elegant and cosy. Had the €28 meal. This came with extra unexpected aperitifs that set the scene for the delicious 3 course meal that followed. Presentation, aroma, and taste 10 out of 10. Highly recommend a meal here.

1  Thank Tina A
Reviewed 3 June 2017 via mobile

We stopped here for lunch whilst visiting Perigueux for the day. The weather was very hot so it was lovely to sit in the vaulted dining area which was lovely and cool.

Richard had the menu du marché which was excellent value at 18€. I had a combination, starter from the 18€ menu and main from the 24€ menu. All our food was beautifully presented and tasted delicious. We ordered a half bottle of rosé but they had only been delivered that morning and were not chilled so they brought us a full bottle and only charged us the half bottle price. Service was excellent and friendly.

We will definitely return when next in Perigueux.

Reviewed 30 March 2017

It was a quick lunch stop on our way to Paris. Food was delicious, the service was excellent and we spent a very enjoyable lunch time in this very nice restaurant. Just opposite the cathedral it is in the old town. It was a lovely sunny day. We will go again when we can give spend a bit more time.

Reviewed 18 March 2017

This was our second visit to Hercule Poireau after previously eating there in November. In fact on this trip we stayed in Perigueux just to be able to eat here. The restaurant is perfectly situated just beside the cathedral and is a five minute walk from the Mercure Hotel, which was ideal. The restaurant itself is located in a beautiful old vaulted cellar from the 16th century. I would always recommend booking in advance as the restaurant is not large and is always popular. We ordered from the 28 Euro set menu and were treated to two sets of amuse-bouchés before the starters were served. The flavours in these were sublime and really are a taste of things to come. With the 28 Euro menu there is a choice of two starters, two main courses and two desserts, so my wife and I each ordered differently so that we were able to try everything on the menu. There is also a good and very reasonably priced wine list which also featured local wines from both the Bergerac AOC and my particular favourite, the Pecharment AOC. Some of these wines are also available in a 50cl bottle if you find that a whole bottle of wine between to is just a little too much, especially after an aperitif. Each course was an absolute delight with a fusion of different flavours which always worked in harmony. Besides tasting amazing they are also beautifully presented in the plate, the size and colour of which have obviously been chosen to complement the food. It is clear that so much thought has been put into every aspect of running this restaurant even down to the choice of artisan bread which tastes wonderful too. The staff are attentive and professional and for me this restaurant is surely deserving of at least one Michelin star. We had an aperitif each, the 28 Euro menu, a bottle of very nice wine and two coffees and the total bill was 94 Euro. For the quality of the food this represents exceptional value. I have to say however that my wife began to regret eating there, as for the rest of the holiday I could not help myself comparing every meal to the food at the Hercule Poirot and it seems that she began to grow tired of hearing me say "well it's nice, but not as nice as the meal at Hercule Poirot". That sums it all up I suppose.