“Perfect summers day with glorious food and wine, what more can you ask for?”
Review of L'Essentiel

L'Essentiel
Ranked #10 of 222 Restaurants in Perigueux
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 9 August 2017

The lunch menu at L'Essentiel is really great value given the quality of food you recieve. The service is attentive and extremely polite. Every course was introduced and explained and presented in such delicate manner. The setting of the restaurant is lovely, even their outside front space despite being across from another restaurant. The street does not interfere and the tranquility of eating at L'Essentiel is maintained. If lunch is this good I would like to know how good dinner is! Thank you.

Reviewed 11 July 2017

Warm welcome followed by dishes that are well presented with interesting flavours and combinations. Extensive wine list focusing on Bordeaux and Bergerac. Weekday lunch menu good value considering what you get for it. I've not tried a la carte - maybe next time!

Reviewed 17 June 2017 via mobile

We visited this Michelin stared restaurant for their €47 euro menu which we thought was fantastic value. Unlike a previous review the oyster starter was one of the best starters I had ever eaten. For your money you got an amuse bouche and three excellent sized perfectly cooked portions. There was plenty of choice and if a dish was not available it was substituted with an alternative.
The staff were charming and despite our terrible French we managed to interpret all of the dishes with the help of the charming staff.
I would definitely eat here again

Reviewed 5 May 2017

Lunch for three cost 200 Euros. It was good but not great.

There was one major disappointment. The oyster entree with gelee would have been outstanding if the oysters were really fresh. Sadly, they were not. Raw oysters with a fishy smell can ruin any dish and they did ruin this one,

Otherwise first rate in every respect, though a bit overpriced.

Reviewed 13 April 2017 via mobile

What a great place to save up for a special dinner. The restaurant is easy to get to and has a definite charm on the inside. The staff are friendly (even to Aussies!).
We opted for the 3 course set menu costing €48 each. A complimentary starter set us for high expectations. For entree I had oyster immersed in a vegetable jelly sitting in a lobster sauce. Great. My wife had fresh green asparagus roasted and served with snail ravioli and pea emulsion. Definitely fine dining. For main my veal dish was amazing. My wife was equally effusive of her pigeon. Deserts were both brilliant. A great wine list but you need a bit more knowledge on French wine. I opted for a 500 ml sav Blanc which was quite well priced and fine.
This is a great restaurant for a celebration. We had just become grandparents for the first time!