“Great restaurant ”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 10 April 2017 via mobile

Wonderful friendly accomodating service and great food in the more traditional french style. The snails in garlic butter were great as was the pate fait definitely fait maison. The veal was nice and the porc excellent both with lovely sauces which were perfectly matched. Finally the cheese board was a choice of four cheeses from a really good selection of cheeses not to be missed. Really enjoyed the lunch in the shadow of the chateau in Amboise.

Reviewed 13 February 2017 via mobile

We were on a tight schedule and the kitchen happily obliged our 45min limit. The 3 course formulae with coffee did not disappoint! Starters of the day were a beautiful seafood soup and the best quiche Lorraine I've ever eaten! Mains were a large red meat affair with a veal stew and smokey steak and chips in an onion gravy. Our meal ended with a heavenly orange tart that I can't stop thinking about! This was the best meal of my vacation, I only wish I had more time to linger over it!

1  Thank Aislinn K
Reviewed 13 December 2016

Small, quaint restaurant-you'll want to make a reservation. Definitely order the cheese! We sampled the whole menu between our party and loved everything!

Reviewed 5 December 2016

Eating dinner in a small French town on a Sunday night in winter is not always easy–there are many establishments which are closed. We called L'Epicerie and made a reservation for an early dinner (7:30 pm). When we got there we were the only two in the restaurant. The two ladies who greeted us were very helpful, courteous and attentive. We opted for the 4 course 29 euro meals and I enjoyed the foie gras appetizer which came with a citrus jam and toast. For the main course I ordered pork which was ample and came with a tad too much gravy, and included some of the yummiest roasted potatoes I've ever eaten. The cheese course was especially good (especially the blue cheese)–I went for the local cheeses and for dessert the creme brulee was dense and delicious. My sister had the beef which was tender and some fabulous, creamy scalloped potato creation with the large 3 sorbet with whipped cream in a big pasty bowl dessert.

Overall the service was very attentive and thoughtful. The portions were ample and the food hearty. Our server was so kind and friendly though she didn't speak much English (sis speaks French like the majority of the patrons in the restaurant). The restaurant was pretty much full by the time we left about 9:45 pm. Now we're stuffed and happy.

2  Thank Thea Y
Reviewed 9 November 2016 via mobile

Soon time to scoot off for some lunch ,so much climbing all over castles and palaces gave me an appetite , down in the town I peeped into the windows of the first restaurant I came to L'Epecerie (after checking the menu ), finding it full of townsfolk having Saturday lunch is always a good sign . Delicious smells on entry and just one table left with my name on it , hooray , set menu was yummy and a nice glass of chilled Sauvignon filled the bill . Delightful table neighbours next door , one a welsh lady who taught French and settled in France ,now retired in Amboise . The staff were charming and attentive , my desert not quite what I wanted , but delicious an eggy baked brioche slice swimming in caramel sauce with a scoop of caramel ice cream . Still dreaming of the cheeseboard but full to pussys bow . Just time to walk back to the bus and off to our last castle .

1  Thank Rosamund I