“Love/hate relationship with this hotel but will probably be back”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bastia
San Lucianu Beach Resort - Mark Warner
Ranked #18 of 23 Hotels in Bastia
Reviewed 8 November 2017

This was my 5th visit to San Lucianu over the last 10 years. I stayed for 2 weeks in the summer holidays with my husband and 3 kids.

There is a lot to love about the hotel but unfortunately a lot to dislike too. I have come to the conclusion that we always have a fantastic time here and the kids consistently list San Lu as being their favourite holiday but there is a period of adjustment required to lower your expectations before you start to relax and just go with it.

I'll summarise the good and bad bits:

Good
1. Location, location, location - we love the position of the hotel, in between the sea and the lush mountains, it is a very relaxing place to be and we actually prefer the mountain views to the sea views that come with the premium rooms.
2. Kids club/facilities - Mark Warner childcare is great and with children ranging from 6-13, MW gives the kids a chance to meet friends in a way that no other tour operator can provide. We've been to other MW hotels but the modest size of San Lu means we are happy to give the kids more freedom here than in any other place we've visited.

Bad
1. The hotel is tired. It's been tired for the 10 years we've been visiting and apart from some cosmetic decoration in the lounge areas and refurb of the premium sea view rooms, very little has changed. If you visit more than once you will see damage, cracks and scuff marks that get worse over time.
2. Cleanliness is poor. Crockery, glasses and cutlery are nearly always dirty and no-one seems at all embarrassed when it's pointed out. Buffet nights are often preferable so you can check the plate is clean.
3. We didn't have hot water for most of the first week. The boiler was broken and it took 5 days and several visits from a plumber to fix it. This was very frustrating, particularly as there was no communication about what was happening or even recognition that this might be a problem. I would have expected a daily update on a noticeboard in reception with an apology but when I enquired (on a daily basis), the person on reception just laughed and commented about how annoying it was for them too, as they lived in.
4. The food is poor/average. Some of the a la carte dishes were good but the variety and quality is pretty bad and it's the thing I would like to see change the most.
5. Each year it gets worse - the package, property and food deteriorates each year. This time we noticed that the hours of kids club had been reduced by 30 mins a day since last time.
6.The price - it's very difficult to stop yourself from thinking 'I can't believe I've spent £7K on this!'

Good and bad
1. The staff are nice and helpful but are very young and relaxed. There are advantages to this because they add to the friendly/relaxed feel of the place but the hotel needs some more experienced staff to set and maintain standards.

Despite all of the complaints, I am sure I will be back because I do love it at San Lu. We always have a good holiday and go home completely relaxed. However, I am frustrated that MW can't resolve the relatively minor issues that all of the reviewers report, so I can continue to enjoy holidays here for years to come.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Debbie R

Reviewed 20 October 2017

We are longstanding and keen MW holidayers having had 20+ holidays we know what to expect. San Lu is unfortunately very tired and in need of money / TLC. All of the poor reviews you can read this year sadly are true. - Please read this Gordon Spence, Head of Customer Relations - you seem to think "it isn't as bad as the online reviews" but you haven't been there... indeed I don't think any of the operations team visited this year?

I'm sorry to say that Resort Manager Wayne, your management is simply not up to scratch. You should not have your first hotel manager position as manager for MW and in particular you should have spent some time at MW resorts yourself to know what to expect.

The hotel staff were all "nice" as usual but they were not managed, had no idea of real expectations and requirements. Our visit on the second to last week should have been like clockwork but on two out of 6 breakfasts we arrived to find no cups, coffee, plates, cutlery, eggs, bacon, tomatoes, mushrooms.... like .. no breakfast. Breakfast should not come as a surprise - it happens every day.

Sorry MW, this is well below par and you should have reacted properly to the comments earlier in the year and sent someone out to sort it out.

Waterfront, tennis and cycling team great as usual. If you get a seafront room they are nice and newly refurbished but you have to pay more for them. If you get the cheaper mountain view rooms they are tired... perhaps these will be changed for 2018?.....

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are good but more expensive
1  Thank Dathan100
Reviewed 29 September 2017

Read the reviews they say and you won't have great expectations. Very true!
Everything said in previous reviews is true - particularly referring to the state of the hotel being run down and lacking investment.
To summarise:
The hotel is old and needs work
The beach is scruffy and litter remains - in our case for the entire week.
Rooms are good or bad depending on which side of the hotel you are located. It seems that sea side have been refurbished but mountain side are old and scruffy.
The restaurant is similar to a school canteen. Old, tired and noisy.
The terrace and paving needs work - broken tiles and uneven paving.
Volley ball court is fun of stones and is a hazard - one of our group had some nasty cuts and bruises.
The pools are lacking maintenance, equipment left lying around and alarmingly the child gates are not working or secured by string.

On the positive side.
The beach staff are helpful and efficient.
Similarly the bike crew and helpful and professional.
The food in the restaurant was surprisingly good - particularly the a la carte evenings.

No attempt at entertainment during the evening and amateurish overall management.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a refurbished room
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Digger00
Reviewed 26 September 2017

OK so first off we did have a brilliant holiday - no two ways about it. Of course there are some niggles but these are minor. In fact did they detract from our holiday? - No not at all. We all like a moan and the fact that all of us guests had some common cause gave us all something to talk about whilst waiting for some forks or napkins to arrive or worse - some coffee to be brewed for breakfast.
Just some management in the dining room would have sorted everything out.
Yes it is a little shabby but its super clean. The rooms are just fine- a little worn maybe but just fine. We never ran out of hot water which for me is a major criteria in hotels and the showers had good pressure.
The density of people is perfect, You have this lovely beach all to yourself. There are enough sunbeds and there is plenty space to spread yourself out far away from anyone else should you wish.
The Staff:- Every single one of the people who worked there were just the nicest most helpful and friendliest of people. They knew they were under pressure due to a slight lack of organisation in the dining room but not once did any of these boys or girls show any moodiness or fail to deliver a requested fork or napkin when asked. If I had space I'd take them all home with me and let them show my kids how to be helpful and kind - as they all were.
The sports and activities staff were so professional and so helpful. Most of them are called Will. The girls seem to have more variation in names.
The wine selection is absolutely awful- so that is my only real complaint. Problem solved by jumping on a bike - shooting into the nearby village and coming back with my own selection which they happily kept on ice for us.
If everything was perfect wit would have changed the whole atmosphere It was perfect in its imperfection and we had a great holiday at Mark Warner- Corsica. Thanks everyone

1  Thank Hexasphere
Reviewed 26 September 2017

I am in agreement with previous reviews. We have holidayed with Mark Warner in the past at both beach clubs and a chalet hotel and this was easily the worst place I have stayed in. We paid a supplement for a refurbished room with a sea view and were very pleased with our accommodation, but that is the only thing I can praise about our experience, apart from the cleaners who left our room immaculate every day. However, we did have problems with our air conditioning cutting out after a couple of minute. The rest of the hotel is shabby, grubby and in sore need of refurbishment. The restaurant was a complete shambles, with no apparent management presence, organisation or clearly defined staff responsibilities. The floors on the outside terraces were really dirty and in need of a good jetwash. Some of the chairs had holes in them. Most of the "hot" food was either cold or tepid and on the first night, which was barbecue night, some of it was not even cooked or stone cold, much to the surprise of the "chef". One day my husband had a pork chop which was raw in the middle, such a basic thing to get wrong. Basic things in the restaurant constantly ran out - bread, butter, cutlery, coffee and mugs - guests were constantly asking the staff to replenish. The whole place looked grubby and raised serious questions about food hygiene, particularly in the light of the food kept at inadequate temperatures. Mussels served the night before as a starter were served again the following lunchtime. The food was unimaginative and very poorly cooked - if I say the pizzas were the best thing, I think this says it all about the quality of the food! Dessert every day was melon (3 types usually), pineapple and one actual dessert. The only other choice of fresh fruit seemed to be apples and the occasional banana. Given that the shop down the road was selling nectarines for 1.50euros a kilo it would have been nice to have had these as an alternative. The Manager Wayne seemed to stay closeted in his office and never ventured out to talk to guests or see what was going on in "his" hotel. The operations manager was pretty clueless too and the member of staff sent to look at our air conditioning had even less idea about how it worked than we did.There was no information in the rooms about the air conditioning, meal times or anything else. I was very disappointed by the fitness classes, I went to one aquafit class, in a pool that looked grubby and the ladder at one end was loose. The pool was too deep for most of the attendees to stand up in and the instructor seemed to be making the class up as she went along. I also went to the only aerobics class which lasted about half an hour and the instructor seemed to be making that up as she went along too. The range of classes provided was poor compared to those of other beach club providers. Most of the beach front seemed to close down if it was "too windy" and my husband was disappointed by the sailing equipment. The staff were mostly pleasant but clearly lacked training and managerial direction. Mark Warner should be ashamed of themselves providing such poor food and accommodation and need to get a competent manager to run this facility. We will never holiday with Mark Warner again after this experience.

Room Tip: We had room 318 overlooking the sea
1  Thank Fisiboo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bastia
113.4 km away
37.4 km away
Hotel Des Gouverneurs
Hotel Des Gouverneurs
#3 of 23 in Bastia

Been to San Lucianu Beach Resort - Mark Warner? Share your experiences!