This was my 5th visit to San Lucianu over the last 10 years. I stayed for 2 weeks in the summer holidays with my husband and 3 kids.
There is a lot to love about the hotel but unfortunately a lot to dislike too. I have come to the conclusion that we always have a fantastic time here and the kids consistently list San Lu as being their favourite holiday but there is a period of adjustment required to lower your expectations before you start to relax and just go with it.
I'll summarise the good and bad bits:
1. Location, location, location - we love the position of the hotel, in between the sea and the lush mountains, it is a very relaxing place to be and we actually prefer the mountain views to the sea views that come with the premium rooms.
2. Kids club/facilities - Mark Warner childcare is great and with children ranging from 6-13, MW gives the kids a chance to meet friends in a way that no other tour operator can provide. We've been to other MW hotels but the modest size of San Lu means we are happy to give the kids more freedom here than in any other place we've visited.
1. The hotel is tired. It's been tired for the 10 years we've been visiting and apart from some cosmetic decoration in the lounge areas and refurb of the premium sea view rooms, very little has changed. If you visit more than once you will see damage, cracks and scuff marks that get worse over time.
2. Cleanliness is poor. Crockery, glasses and cutlery are nearly always dirty and no-one seems at all embarrassed when it's pointed out. Buffet nights are often preferable so you can check the plate is clean.
3. We didn't have hot water for most of the first week. The boiler was broken and it took 5 days and several visits from a plumber to fix it. This was very frustrating, particularly as there was no communication about what was happening or even recognition that this might be a problem. I would have expected a daily update on a noticeboard in reception with an apology but when I enquired (on a daily basis), the person on reception just laughed and commented about how annoying it was for them too, as they lived in.
4. The food is poor/average. Some of the a la carte dishes were good but the variety and quality is pretty bad and it's the thing I would like to see change the most.
5. Each year it gets worse - the package, property and food deteriorates each year. This time we noticed that the hours of kids club had been reduced by 30 mins a day since last time.
6.The price - it's very difficult to stop yourself from thinking 'I can't believe I've spent £7K on this!'
Good and bad
1. The staff are nice and helpful but are very young and relaxed. There are advantages to this because they add to the friendly/relaxed feel of the place but the hotel needs some more experienced staff to set and maintain standards.
Despite all of the complaints, I am sure I will be back because I do love it at San Lu. We always have a good holiday and go home completely relaxed. However, I am frustrated that MW can't resolve the relatively minor issues that all of the reviewers report, so I can continue to enjoy holidays here for years to come.
- Also Known As:
- San Lucianu Beach Resort - Mark Warner Hotel Bastia
- Hotel San Lucianu Mark Warner
- San Lucianu Mark Warner Corsica
- Corsica Mark Warner