“Absolutely worth it!”
Review of L'Atelier des Sens

L'Atelier des Sens
Ranked #22 of 135 Classes & Workshops in Paris
Reviewed 31 August 2017 via mobile

On top of all the other great attractions in Paris is this gem. Chef Jean took us through the making of an outstanding three course meal with a group of people who had widely varying backgrounds in the kitchen. Instructions were clear, the food was delicious, the company superb, and Chef Jean was humourous, engaging, knowledgeable, and strove to ensure we had all our questions answered. From the welcome to the farewell, a top notch experience!

I took the class in French, however, English classes are available.

Reviewed 23 June 2017

Before traveling to Paris with my mother and two daughters (ages 8 and 10) I searched extensively for a cooking class that adults and kids could enjoy together. There were not a lot of options for children in this specific age group unless you were willing to hire an expensive private chef. L'Atelier des Sens was therefore a wonderful find. Prices are very reasonable for the class and parents (or grandparents) can participate with their children. Everything was prepared when we got there, including measurement of ingredients. We learned how to make choux dough, pastry filling and ganache. Very hands on for the children with some help from the parents. The teacher was knowledgeable and did a nice job balancing the various tasks. A small snafu at the end seemingly caused him some stress but we carried on. After the baking, there is an opportunity to sit together and enjoy the eclairs. Overall, a nice experience and one my children enjoyed immensely.

Reviewed 25 April 2017 via mobile

This was such a wonderful experience for my children in Paris. Chef Jean is extremely knowledgeable and made the class interesting for children. The pastries were delicious! I highly recommend this class if you are looking for a great baking class for children in Paris.

1  Thank marcyj74
Reviewed 12 October 2016

We prearranged this class from the states several months ahead, myself (age 65+), daughter and niece in 20's. We took Le Bistrot with Philipe. There were 6 total students in the class, and since we all spoke English, so the class was conducted in English.

I have taken several classes in the states, and they were very step by step. This was a bit more collective. Philipe would demonstrate or describe and then give someone a knife or tool and put us to work...we could be doing different things, or one or more chopping vegetables at the same time. He would describe whys and hows of the recipes, but didn't get hung up on the precision of the technique. I appreciated the freedom, the pace was fast but I didn't feel rushed.

Our menu of salt crusted sea bass with fennel (the fennel sauce was a real standout!), mushroom salad with fresh herbs, cheese souffle (did I have a hand in making that?) and the to die for pistachio creme brulee was perfect with the wine they included. The lunch was ample enough for us to skip dinner that night and the best part of the day was sitting around the table and getting to know our fellow "chefs" and Philipe.

A real winner. PS this class location (Hausmann) is very near Printemps and we headed to their rooftop (free) for a fabulous view of the city and perspective on the area architecture. Drinks and snacks (self serve) are available here too.

Reviewed 2 August 2016

Chef Jean taught Back from the Market and then Best of French Pâtisserie the following day and both were wonderful experiences. He taught us how to choose local in season items at the market and then how to put them together into a delicious meal. His classes are a lot of fun and we learned a great deal. Bravo!