“Bad service! Food Ok...”
Review of Romanela

Romanela
Ranked #9,144 of 18,720 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: Italian
Neighbourhood: Montparnasse
Neighbourhood: Montparnasse
Reviewed 14 October 2015

I was looking for a place close by to eat. Could have gone to the pizza place bit further on past the station as it was good there but just wanted to have something quick. In the end I went here. Couldn't check the reviews at this point but looking at the reviews now... things haven't changed. As people have pointed out, if you are an outsider, there is no service with a smile.

The waitress was moody, but sat me at the table then threw the menu on the table and walked away. I was also sat in the corner where I felt like I was out the way with the booth actually covering me. She came over to take my order (again no smile or warmth) and I asked for a Margherita pizza with Mushrooms. She took the order and walked away. Didn't ask abut drinks or anything else. Then stayed away until the pizza was ready, brought it over, not a word, walked away. Didn't even offer any water and Decided to quickly finish up and go.

She glanced my way once when preparing a table near me but quickly looked away. She was very different with locals and I saw smile with them and then I started feeling quite segregated. Next interaction was the bill, and I got a little smile after I paid and she did say 'au revoir' as I left (I felt this to be an achievement).

The pizza was ok. Well made and decent size but didn't blow me away in terms of how it tasted. Definitely wouldn't recommend it but then again it served a purpose. A quick pizza somewhere close to where I was staying so I didn't walk far. Wasn't that cheap nor was it too pricey but wasn't value for money. There are definitely better options if you just walk a little further.

Reviewed 5 March 2015 via mobile

We were staying over the road in the ibis hotel and walked past a few times in the day and I really wanted it ha

First impressions we were a little disappointed when we asked for a table in the empty restaurant the server actually tutted at us and didn't exactly make us feel welcome. But by the time we left the place was busy and she was in a better mood.

The food is really good. They do a set menu as well as stand alone plates.

It's very overpriced we felt for a small Italian in a residential area of Paris. €60 for a set menu of €22 2 cokes my starter and main.

Reviewed 27 August 2014

This restaurant is near the Ibis Alesia Hotel in the Rue des Plantes (cross over the main Rue D'Alesia and its on the right hand side) and I thought I'd give it a try. I was a little concerned, having read the mixed reviews, that it might be terrible but I was pleasantly surprised!
The lady owner (I assume) gave me a pleasant greeting and showed me to a table, leaving me to study the quite extensive (Italian/French/English language) menu. There were only 2 other tables in use at that time but it got busier as the evening went on. The interior is quite pleasant with a hint of Italy in the decor.
I started off with a bruschetta (which was a big portion for a starter!), followed by Milanese Veal escalope (which came with French fries and a salad garnish) all washed down with an ice cold Peroni beer and finished with an espresso coffee. The service was efficient, the price was reasonable and the food was freshly prepared and hot.
During my meal, I noticed that there was a constant coming and going of customers collecting pizza's (there was a long list of pizza's in the menu including the option to choose your own toppings!) so the locals must think them pretty good.
If you like Italian food, give it a try!

Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Visited the restaurant on the off chance as it looked like a nice traditional Italian.
Surprised to read the previous mixed reviews. I would say we are reasonably choosy, and are certainly the first to criticise poor service, and although the owner began quieter, she was pleasant enough, and was actually joking and laughing through most of the service.
We had pizza which was very very good. The seafood pizza was very generously topped, as was the pepperoni - stacked with fish and meat.
We had a lovely bottle of Rose also at a very reasonable price, I also had an irish coffee for only 9eur. Wine, pizza and irish coffee for two was around 50 euros - very good value.
I would urge people to give this place a go as we had a very good visit for value for money it can't be faulted.
Thanks!

1  Thank 53saint74
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Visited on a Friday evening - we were the only ones in at first, but it filled up gradually. Had a really nice prawn salad for starters - the leaves were very fresh and good selection. Had a tortellini for the main, which again was very nice. OH had lasagne which he enjoyed too. Service was good.