“Eerie”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$95.66*
and up
Catacombs of Paris Skip-the-Line Tour with...
Ranked #191 of 2,171 things to do in Paris
More attraction details
Owner description: A genuine labyrinth in the heart of underground Paris, the Catacombs were fitted out in the galleries of former quarries. Twenty metres underground, the ossuary houses the remains of approximately six million Parisians, gradually transferred between the end of the 18th century and the mid 19th century, as the capital's cemeteries were closed for health reasons. Along a tangle of dark galleries, visitors discover a presentation of death with bones arranged in a romantic macabre decor. This unique site is a moving testimony to the history of Parisians and invites visitors on a timeless journey.
Reviewed 29 June 2018

I have had this on my to do list for next trip to Paris for a while. I didn't want to go alone, so on my most recent trip there with 2 friends we organised pre paid tickets (with audioguide). The Catacombs are a must see, fascinating enough with the tunnel system, then the actual ossuaries. The audio guide is a must as otherwise there is not a lot of signs explaining various feature. It is quite steep down, and a bit slippery in parts so make sure you are prepared appropriately. It will take about 45 minutes to a hour.

Write a ReviewReviews (6,920)
All reviews
in 55 reviews
"metro station"
in 46 reviews

Reviewed 29 June 2018 via mobile

Sadly I couldn’t see the catacombs because the employees were on a strike. I have been trying to get reimbursement for two tickets I bought for May 3 and I haven’t receive my money back, so disappointed! I gave them first all the info they ask in a paper they had the day of the strike and then recently they asked for more info more than a month later and already gave them the info still waiting. If I go back I won’t buy tickets again.

1  Thank Teck H
Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

We went to the catacombs of Paris today and although we had quite a long wait (over 3 hours) in the hot weather. I have to say it was well worth the wait, we got an audio guide which was really interesting. There was quite a few boards to read as well and they were fascinating. The show stopper of course is the skeletons of inhabitants of Paris that have died and it is fantastic. I really recommend but if you have an option to skip the line I would.

Reviewed 27 June 2018

Beneath the earth, you can travel to a resting place for thousands. Make sure you have decent walking shoes because of the stairs going up and down. The walkway is dirt and dimly lit as well. The line can get quite long so I would recommend doing this first thing in the morning because the line was an hour or more and we got into line 30 minutes before they opened. They can only allow a certain amount of people down at a time so it can be quite busy. It is creepy but not scary. They have workers down there just in case you need anything. It is pretty wide open as well so there are no really closed in spaces. it is also a little cool down there. It was very interesting to see because of the history. It was amazing how it kept going. I would recommend going but I was hoping we had more of a guide to tell us about the history.

1  Thank Kimberly W