“Rude staff and average product”

Poilane Paris - Cherche-Midi Bakery
Ranked #45 of 302 Bakeries in Paris
Neighbourhood: Saint-Germain-des-Prés
Neighbourhood: Saint-Germain-des-Prés
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I'm not sure why people rave about this place. We were directed here via another tour. The cafe staff were just rude. The bread and pastries were average. The apple tart was nice, but on principle I would not return. There are plenty of other places in Paris with great bread and pastries and pleasant staff - don't waste your time or money.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

everytime we come in paris we take a polaine bread home. It's really one of the best bakery's i know.

Reviewed 12 June 2018

Why people brag so much about this place bread, I had incredible bread in California from Nancy Silverton at La Brea. I think people just need to write extravagant things about this place cause they are in Paris. I tried several of their breads, their super ugly average munitions and there is nothing great about these, I feel is an average place with really nasty and rude employees, who make you feel like they are doing a big favor to serve you. I found great little places near Poilane who have great service great customer service and great quality bread and pastries, go there and have a better experience.

Reviewed 28 May 2018 via mobile

Recommended by many friends and also by French cookbook authors, this very small French bakery has the most delicious pastries and breads on the left bank, and maybe Paris. Located on a small street mixed with many fashion boutiques, be sure to stop in and pick up pastries for eating right now or for your breakfast in the morning. The breads are also superb, made with high quality ingredients.

Reviewed 6 April 2018

You'll LOVE Poilane! We got here in the morning and had breakfast next door first. By the time we worked our way around to get some baked goods, they had a line out the door. The ladies inside were working hard and fast to get people taken care of though, so the wait wasn't terribly long. Plus, the shop was so small and it was so hard to see everything that you really needed the time to scope out what you wanted. From that perspective, it was a little hectic and frantic, but the ladies did a great job of providing us with friendly, fast service once it was our turn.

Their sourdough bread is what you'd expect, hearty and fragrant but not quite the same as San Francisco's sourdough breads. We had a few of their baked goods like a pain au chocolat, an apple turnover and an apple danish. While they weren't the best I've ever had, they were still all quite good.

I would definitely stop in here again when in Paris.