“A traditional French meal with a modern twist.”
Review of Le Comptoir

Le Comptoir
Ranked #1,771 of 18,860 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Saint-Germain-des-Prés
Reviewed 22 January 2018

This is a traditional sort of bistro serving true French cuisine but modernly presented. Preserving the true small size traditional counter and bistro Parisien style, this restaurant offers true to its roots French cooked food. The atmosphere reflects the spirit of the borough and so you are immersed on true Parisian culture. The staff and service at this restaurant was nice and attentive and the hostess who run the waiters was super nice finding us a place for drinks at the comptoir du poison next door after the l avant comptoir, another sort of tapas bar, located next door, most likely owned by the same person as this restaurant. We first had wine at comptoir du poisson, which we could bring if you buy a bottle, it back to the restaurant. I got really disappointed with the quality of the wines on offer at the comptoir du poisson. The bottle of red which my friends chose smelled of horse sweat, something known amongst wine experts as not a good sign for the higienic conditions of wine making. I decided to try the whites which were dull, dry and lacking any sort of interesting flavours a good or decent wi e should have. After trying 6 different white wines, I decided fora glass of champagne which in France is always a safe bet against bad wines. This at least was a decent glass. After we moved to the restaurant it self, we chose a Chablis and Sancerre which were most definitely on the safe side of good wine. We ordered foie gras, which was good and came in small but decent portions, followed by a suckling pig with lentils dish and a roasted piece of pork in a vegefable puree which was also tasty and quiet good and a carpaccio of ox head which was very tasty due to the seasoning with fresh herbs, shallots and arugula. For desert we opted for a chocolate mousse and a puff pastrie with apples, which were also good. E finish our meal with coffee. The overall experience was very pleasant. I must advise you the reader that in spite of being original and the mixing of ingredients being varieded and adventurous, French cooking is heavy on the sauce and fat side not being the kindest food for delicate stomachs, however the portions are not too big and French nowadawys due to the cost of food in France and especially in Paris, tend not to eat very much, that is the reason there are not that many people fat and not such high rate of colesterol and fat related diseases. I must say that if you are looking to immerse yourself in the all Parisien food experience this place can be recommended. Watch out however for your purse since meals in paris are as expensive as in NYC or London. So eat and drink in moderation and you shall be fine.

1  Thank Justus S
Write a ReviewReviews (1,521)

Reviewed 13 January 2018 via mobile

I had big expectations and was happy to finally find a place. Don’t expect real french food.. And you will feel like the waiter is doing you a favor. Don’t ask him any questions he will get super bothered.
Go for the lobster salad it was awesome. Snails tasted average. The veal carpaccio isnt raw (wtf). Place is super tight and the tables are small!

Reviewed 10 January 2018 via mobile

Paris is littered with bistros but Le Comptoir du Relais is not your ordinary bistro, and worthy of being a gastronomy destination in itself. Though it is always busy, try going there on a Sunday. It’s worth it. It’s location near Odeon and not far from St Germaine makes people- watching whilst sipping beautiful wines and enjoying the gastronomic delights on offer.
This is one place I like going back to whenever I’m in Paris.

2  Thank Jennifer V
Reviewed 3 January 2018

Staying in the hotel adjoining this restaurant gives you very easy access since the concierge will get you a res. Steak was good, though a bit tough. Veggies and potatoes were very good. Tarte tartin, creme brulee and chocolate cake were all yummy. Wine selection was excellent, though if you are surrounded by chatty dines at adjacent tables, they will usually offer you a glass of theirs. Kind of a festive party atmosphere, with locals a tourists alike. You're here for the scene. There are far better places to dine in Paris. The night I was here, Donald Rumsfeld and his wife were sitting two tables away...meaning about 12 feet from me. Didn't want to make a scene, but several of us diners who noticed him, started talking liberal politics quite loudly. He kind of crawled away, not making eye contact with anyone.

1  Thank Lucienne D
Reviewed 3 January 2018 via mobile

Having arrived in Paris late on Christmas Eve, my partner and I were lucky to stumble on this gem. Offering delicious dishes which were all presented so well, it felt like we had gone fine dining at a fair price. Definitely recommend this place to all. My partner enjoyed the escargots so much he ordered a second plate. Only thing we didn’t enjoy was the goat and sheep cheese which is included in the assorted cheese dessert, but that was our own fault for not asking what is included in the mix. Thank you for a lovely Christmas Eve dinner Le Comptoir.

1  Thank Stephanie H