“Do or die ...”
Review of Le Chateaubriand

Le Chateaubriand
Reserve with
Le Chateaubriand is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,451 of 18,127 Restaurants in Paris
Price range: US$36 - US$146
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 18 May 2017

I had been to this resatuarant already three years ago, when it was still smaller and it was ranked 19 in the San Pellegrino list of best resaturants in the world.
So when I had a congress in Paris this year, I immediately booked a table with a business partner, a foodie like myself. so second round in a renewed restaurant.
A lot of stories about the restaurant are being told, from very bad ones to very good ones .. and I think theay are all true : you love it or you hate it !
Is the chef pretentious : no but he's a Bask.
Is the food special : for sure.
Is the renewed restaurant better than the old one : certainly when it comes to seatings and tables.
In the old days it was really a curiosity to have dinner here, now it is more a real restaurant.
When it comes to the food, you can expect something extraordinary, but as I mentioned in the title, some will appreciate very highly, others will be very disppointed.
The chef is following his own way, regardless the critics he gets.
It is not the classic French star rated restaurant that in general are overrated in my opinion, no, it is something special, exilarating, fresh, new style, and so many things more.
Go for the surprise meny of 10 dishes if you want to experience the full scope of the chef's possibilities
Wine arrangement is also quite special and rather expensive.
But did I love it this second time : I'd say, just invite me ...

3  Thank filipp804

Reviewed 11 May 2017 via mobile

Great place with interesting dishes and wonderful service. The set tasting menu was 10 dishes, with a couple smaller starters, some appetizers, a pasta course, a fish course, a meat course, and two desserts for 70 euro. Given the amount of food and how tasty it was, I thought the price was reasonable, cheaper than a lot of tasting menus in Boston, MA. I think my favorite dishes were the lamb, the ravioli with eel, and the strawberry creme dessert. The wine pairings were a bit expensive, but worth it if looking for a splurge. I especially liked the strawberry sparkling wine we got with dessert.

We really liked this place, but I could see how it wouldn't be for everyone. Pickier people or people with a lot of dietary restrictions would probably have a hard time here. Also, if looking looking to spend less, just get a bottle of wine instead of doing the pairings. They had a lot of more affordable €30 to €40 options.

All in all, I would recommend Chateaubriand to people looking for an adventurous and interesting dinner.

1  Thank Colleen71690
Reviewed 8 May 2017 via mobile

I did not know what to expect, had read and heard a lot about this place and its chef, but I not disappointed. Loved the concept, wait staff was helpful and fun, not stuffy at all; expect surprising ingredient combinations that work great. All in all, special dinner.

1  Thank Alejandra L
Reviewed 29 April 2017

Set 'tasting menu' was collection of forgettable tit bits in nouvelle cuisine style. Restaurant full on a Friday evening of English speakers.
Atmosphere was pleasant and service acceptable.
Wine was served from ready opened bottles. No uncorking of bottles here! I wouldn't have cared if the quality had been acceptable but despite repeated requests to the 'sommelier' for a more acceptable wine we ended disappointed. I was not pleased and even less when my final request was greeted with 'in France we say s'il vous plait!

2  Thank maxwema
Reviewed 18 April 2017

Thanks to the other reviews we knew before our meal that it would be a set menu with some unexpected courses and flavors. Overall it was super creative, delicious, flavorful and memorable. Our courses the night we dined consisted of:
Cheese puff pastry
Tomato onion ceviche with avocado
Little fried shrimp
Cockles and beans in a light broth
Horseradish dumpling in a warm broth (fish broth perhaps?)
Cuttlefish and mushrooms in a cream emulsion sauce - our favorite
Salt cod with herbs
Duck liver with artichoke
Milk foam ice cream cloud dessert
Egg pastry dessert
Mango with fennel candy

We loved every bite and had a lovely time.

1  Thank Rach0601