“Avoid”

Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Montmartre
Reviewed 29 June 2018

This is the most overrated place in Paris. There is nothing special except the famous movie was filmed in. We were here for a quick breakfast, not much selection of food. The staff doesn't care about the customers. Not recommended.

2  Thank ozlem_istanblue
Write a ReviewReviews (1,898)

Reviewed 29 June 2018

We had a short trip to Paris so it was tight fitting in everywhere we wanted to go, however being a big fan of Amelie this was high on my list. Absolutely regret squeezing it in though, it's even put me off the movie somehow. The menu wasn't great so being vegetarians, we went for the only option, baked camembert. I wish I'd taken a picture of what was under the skin of the cheese as it was literally a pool of grease, the worst camembert I have ever had and the first and probably last for my partner! Under cooked potatoes which didn't taste much of anything and a limp salad. We could have coped with this however if it hadn't cost £50 for two with a couple of drinks! The toilets were absolutely vile, no seat, and utterly filthy. A small Amelie shrine next to the toilet which you couldn't look at as there was no room, and you don't want to linger in that loo! Even the sink was disgusting. The staff were abrupt and rushed us even though it wasn't entirely packed. I felt quite sad afterwards because what had been a dream for many years, could not have been more disappointing. Avoid. Cherish the cafe on screen, but don't visit unless you're prepared for the ultimate letdown!

3  Thank thekokonuts
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

Well obviously I went here for the whole Amelie thing, but was hugely disappointed. I cannot begin to say how poor it is. There’s no atmosphere - your average UK Wetherspoons has a better vibe. Was charged €3.50 for half a lager at the bar...went to sit down and got hassled by staff for €1.10 to use the table (this being the price difference between buying the drink at the bar, and two meters away at a table). Even for Paris €4.60 is a lot for half a lager. But would have been worth while if the whole place wasn’t a complete dive. The food looked mediocre at best (though I didn’t eat), most of the staff were nice, but the guy in charged seemed quite dictatorial, and the clientele were interesting.

Some poor bloke walked past the cafe and stopped briefly to watch see what the score was in the World Cup - he was shouted at by the manager and told to move on! I feel sorry for the bar staff and the waiters - because they seemed genuinely nice. Needs new management

Best thing you can do is come, have a photo outside, then avoid completely.

My sole satisfaction is that I’m currently posting this using their own WiFi...

3  Thank OxTotTab
Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

This is the place , where they filmed Amélie („Le fabuleux destin d‘Amelie Poulain“) and that‘s really all that can be said in favour of this place. Even by Parisienne standards, it is overpriced. One waiter was ok, but the other one displayed a rude attitude, not just to us , but to most customers coming in. We only had a drink each , then went straight out. If you want to spoil your stay in Montmartre come here, if not, take a quick photo and go somewhere else. There are plenty of alternatives around, better priced and certainly with better service.

1  Thank Tim F
Reviewed 19 June 2018

If you love French Art Cinema this is a place you should go. Food is not spectacular, not bad but the place keeps all memorabilia we saw in the movie. It is located one block behind Moulin Roux

1  Thank Marco R